PDA

View Full Version : Price of Whisky

tall and tasty
17th Apr 2006, 00:00
Hi everyone

Recently went on a trip which envolved going through duty free at LHR and went and checked out the whisky house just to see what they had.

I was horrified to see you can pay anything up to 1,000 + pounds sterling for a bottle of the stuff whether it be Scottish or Irish.

Would you pay that amount for a bottle or have you tried a glass from a bottle costing that amount?

The assistant asked if he could help and I cheekily said I guess I could not sample a glass. The man burst out laughing and said only if you purchse it but it is worth every penny spent.

I saw a 35 year old MacCallan but did not think the company would allow me to put it on company expenses!:p

So would you endulge in such an expense? I have had a bottle of bubbly that cost an arm and a leg at my 21st given to me by my aunt, (money was no object to her and I felt bad opening it, but she insisted and I had to) and therefore never endulged since.

TnT

Whirlygig
17th Apr 2006, 00:10
Would you pay that amount for a bottle
Yes, I probably would if I had more money than sense :p However, since I have more of the latter than the former I buy Waitrose Single Irish Malt Whiskey - cheaper than a well-known Irish Blend! It's quite palatable and I don't like whiskey!

However, many years ago, in the day when there were ten francs to the pounds, myself and a group of friends on a skiing trip went to a restaurant one night. One member of our group was put I/C Wine. He ordered two bottles to begin with (there were six of us).

We got the bill.

Two bottles of wine at FF750 each! He got the decimal point a bit wrong. Bloody nice wine though!

Cheers

Whirls

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2006, 00:19
Family re-union over the Easter weekend descended into whisky-drinking session after a celebration meal out (with copious wine). Ancient bottle of 14-year-old Clyneliesh was finished-off (together with another of Glenmorangie) as we thought it might have 'gone-off' having been kept too long . . . :ok:
Those and Glenkinchie are as expensive as we run too (25-30 a bottle) due to limited financial resources (retired, no pension).

Capn Notarious
17th Apr 2006, 00:59
Won fousand quid for a bottle of scotch. How many would really have the palate to appreciate it?

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 01:37
Mmmmmmm, whisky (Big shush to Binos before he starts :p )

Father Jerricho is partial to a dram or two as well and whenever I make the pilgrimage home, I always happily splurge on a bottle of Macallan. If my memory serves me correctly, a bottle of 18 year old runs about 70ish pounds (a little more expensive over here in the frozen north).

Most I have ever paid for me was 110 pounds for a 25 year old Caol Ila.........mmmmm, memories.

Lon More
17th Apr 2006, 02:10
The Chunnel Terminal at Folkestone used to have a very expensive bottle of scotch on display. Spent a lot of time trying to work out a way to liberate it.The Whisky Shop in Edinburgh's Banana Market had a few of the same. Apparently it's the Japanese who buy them.
Used to get Three Blacks - bottled in Angola - very cheaply, about 75p a bottle. JW Black Label by another name.

BlueWolf
17th Apr 2006, 03:00
Hmm, whisky / whiskey is much like wine, in that, in many cases, the asking price has very much more to do with the marketing than with the cost of production, or indeed, with the quality of the product.

allan907
17th Apr 2006, 03:38
Many years ago en-route to WA, courtesy of Cathay, to visit my old man. We did the 6 hour stop-over in the Fragrant Harbour after a flight that seem to take weeks. Not being a good sleeper on aircraft I was a bit spaced out. I decided to buy the old man a bottle of brandy at Kai Tak duty free. It was only while I was musing on the final leg to Perth that I got to examine the Visa slips for the said bottle. My mental mathematics for currency conversion must have gone awry 'cos I suddenly found out that I had paid almost ₤100 for the bottle.

Needless to say the old man went without and it came back to the UK with me where it was savoured over the next couple of years.

acbus1
17th Apr 2006, 07:15
They really need to sort out the pricing of alchoholic drink.

"Collapses-in-a-coma per litre" or somesuch seems sensible.

That way, you get what you're paying for.

Unwell_Raptor
17th Apr 2006, 08:14
As with so many 'luxury' goods, the price is part of the attraction. Of course the cost-benefit curve for whisky flattens off after about £35 per bottle, but if a Japanese executive needs something special to take back to the boss, then a grand will do nicely.

I saw some Nokia phones the other day 'valued' at £2000 each. Functionally they are no different from the mass-market models, and are really just another bit of bling.

green granite
17th Apr 2006, 08:29
Hi everyone
Recently went on a trip which envolved going through duty free at LHR and went and checked out the whisky house just to see what they had.
I was horrified to see you can pay anything up to 1,000 + pounds sterling for a bottle of the stuff whether it be Scottish or Irish.

TnT: Ive just checked the Genfidd* site, the 50 year old malt is 5000 a
bottle :eek: :eek: :eek:

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Apr 2006, 09:30
If you're going to chuck Coke in it you may as well buy the second most popular whisky in India, Bagpiper. Costs around US$4-00 a bottle in Kenya.

Lance Murdoch
17th Apr 2006, 09:40
I paid US$40 for 1 litre of 10 year old Laphroag and about the same in Euros for a 10 year old bottle of Glenmorangie. That was duty free though. You can tell the difference between them and a bottle of cheaper whisky. I suspect that above this price there isnt much increase in quality. I certainly wouldnt pay 1000 for a bottle:eek:

BlueWolf
17th Apr 2006, 10:06
Rusty and Lance, spot on. :ok: I can tell the difference between a single malt and a blended Scotch, and consequently I don't drink blended Scotch. Beyond that, I don't pretend to be able to pick a difference.

If you're of a mind to mix cola with whisky, you might as well buy the RTD stuff which the manufacturers of such products have specially bottled with the ignorant philistine in mind ;) .

I have to admit that Irish, Rye, and Tennessee, all vie for the title of favourite as far as my palate is concerned, but I don't mind a good bourbon either.

And I've been at blind tastings where winemakers, myself included, when blindfolded and with noses blocked (smell being the real key sense), struggled to pick between red and white, never mind between $100 French and $10 Aussie.

I have had, on occasions, the opportunity to sample some very old, very rare, and very expensive wines. Most of them, in all fairness, are very good wines. But that said, I confess some difficulty in seeing justification for the three- and four-figure asking prices. At the end of the day it's only a bottle of plonk. I can justify, in certain circumstances, as much as NZ$100 for a bottle of wine, and maybe NZ$120 for a good malt. Beyond that, in my considered opinion (about which there is very little that is humble ;) ), you're paying a great deal for the [email protected] factor.
:)

colmac747
17th Apr 2006, 10:18
25 quid a bottle...lovely:ok:

http://home.debitel.net/user/maik/private/pict/Highland-Park-Single-Malt-W0185.jpg

http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/index.html

Ozzy
17th Apr 2006, 14:08
Many moons was in a whiskey shop in St Andrews. They had a bottle of some single malt bottled in 1945 in pride of place on the shelf behind the register, the price was GBP1,500. I asked if they had two bottles for sale or just the one. "Just the one, but I can get another from our store in Edinburgh by tomorrow" was the reply. "Nah, I'll leave it", said I.:E:}

Ozzy

colmac747
17th Apr 2006, 15:10
In a cupboard under the stair, there is a bottle of Rosebank 12 year old (Lowlands). The distillery ceased producing in 1993 - this bottle was bought well before then.

Was given to me as a wedding present. So, by rough calculations, it'll be approx 30 years old. Still in wooden box.

Wonder what that would cost nowadays:confused: Anyone know of any whisky pricing (rare) companies/websites:confused:

Edit: Found a site...only worth 40 quid :(

http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/asps/uploads/big/425-1.jpg

JJflyer
17th Apr 2006, 15:14
I just sipped down a 18 year old Macallan with a few friends. Quite enjoyed it. However I am trying to find that "Best" single malt so please help me out. Cost up too 250US per bottle.

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2006, 15:23
Blended whisky is surely like 'blended' wine (such as Leibfraumilch), and best avoided except as a mixer for a long drink. Singles are an acquired taste (some like smokey peat, some don't) and once you crack the 'cheap' barrier, you get more drink for your money the less you pay. Same with wines. Some like 'oaked' wines, some don't, but after a certain price I don't believe it's worth it when you could have TWO bottles for the price of one.
What would happen if you paid 1000 and didn't like it?

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 15:23
A discussion regarding "the best" malt could go on for hours JJflyer (over a dram or two would make it even more civilised ;) ).

It really does depend on personal preference. Macallan is often referred to by many as "the best" simply because it's a very well rounded whisky that suits many people's tastes. Me, I'm a huge Islay malt fan, the peatier the better......but others think it tastes like battery acid. I personally think Lowland malts are a little on the light side and don't have the character of some of the west isle malts, but that's just me.

*Sigh*

As my good mate Binos has pointed out on many an occasion, I am a whisky snob :=

tall and tasty
17th Apr 2006, 17:27
As my good mate Binos has pointed out on many an occasion, I am a whisky snob Nothing wrong with that Jerricho, I still have a bottle of Macallan waiting for the right person to share it with. It is sitting in the kitchen at the moment and seems a shame to drink on my own so it will sit and wait for the right person :E

Now JD I can drink by myself and not feel guilty about that :p

TnT

Oldjet Jockey
17th Apr 2006, 19:11
Jerrico is right ! It is a matter of personal taste. I personally do not like the Islay malts. I prefer the highland single malts and 35 to 40 will buy a bottle of the best. The taste of whisky only improves while it is maturing in the cask. Once it is bottled there is no further improvement (or so I was told during a tour of one of the smallest distilleries in Scotland. So keeping a bottle of 18 year old single malt for a further few years will add nothing to it. Drink it right away and with a good single malt don't add anything to it. I enjoy it but would never pay more than 40 a bottle. If there are a few around worth more than that they can keep them. Cheers and enjoy it. Finally TnT. Dont waste it on a worthless man Keep it for youself!!!

OJJ

BenThere
17th Apr 2006, 19:16
You know what? Good Scotch costs too much. What gives government the right to triple the price of anything and take the proceeds to itself? Shouldn't there be a reasonable maximum tax of anything, maybe 20%?

Alcohol, tobacco, and fuel (in some places) are way overtaxed.

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2006, 19:17
Finally TnT. Dont waste it on a worthless man Keep it for youself!!!
OJJ
I agree! I used to keep Mars Bars in the 'fridge and then feed myself small slices (that way the pleasure lasted, and lasted, and lasted).
So, TnT, get the bairns off to bed, relax, and pour yourself a wee-one, and sip it and ENJOY it.
Repeat ANOTHER evening, then you've got something to look forward to . . . :ok:

Evening Star
17th Apr 2006, 19:38
http://web.mac.com/christopher.reeves/iWeb/Site/Images/25kwhisky.jpg

Glenturret Distillery shop, 1997. Hardly surprisingly it was still there in 1998. Suppose at £25000 a bottle it is not really a high turnover item.;)

Now if it was Laphroaig...

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2006, 19:40
Wait till the sale . . .
If it (obviously) isn't selling, it'll soon be remaindered . . .

ExSimGuy
17th Apr 2006, 19:43
Nothing wrong with that Jerricho, I still have a bottle of Macallan waiting for the right person to share it with. It is sitting in the kitchen at the moment and seems a shame to drink on my own so it will sit and wait for the right person :E
TnT
So what are you doing the evening after the GatBash? :E

But to be fair to the government (why???) They only add a fixed amount per litre to the cost of a Scotch as Excise Duty, then 17% onto the total as VAT.

So a very expensive bottle is only a relatively (relatively) smalll amount of Excise, and17% VAT
So by spending a grand on a bottle of Scotch, you aren't actually giving tooooo much to the government

(apart from "anything is too much" :E )

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 20:10
I still have a bottle of Macallan waiting for the right person to share it with.

Ooooooh.......what you doing in October ;)

green granite
17th Apr 2006, 20:10
So by spending a grand on a bottle of Scotch, you aren't actually giving tooooo much to the government[/COLOR]

(apart from "anything is too much" :E )

About 150 actually :{ :{ :{

Dave Martin
17th Apr 2006, 23:17
Benthere,

If single malt Islay wasn't so heavily taxed I'd be an alcoholic. I for one am thankful.

MagnusP
18th Apr 2006, 08:45
I saw some Nokia phones the other day 'valued' at 2000 each. Functionally they are no different from the mass-market models, and are really just another bit of bling.
Harrod's had a platinum Nokia at 23k when Mrs P dragged me in for a look round.

BlueWolf
18th Apr 2006, 08:49
Magnus;

NZ$60,000 for a cellphone? Are you serious?

Well....let them as wants to expend their money in such fashion, do so.
:hmm: :confused: :rolleyes: :cool: :ooh: := :bored:

RiskyRossco
18th Apr 2006, 08:55
Thanks to me Da, a regular at pipe band events and keen to remember his Scots heritage, I've had a wide exposure to the malts. Glenfiddich and JW (black) feature regularly in the 'return performance' list. Glenmorangie and Laphroiag once or twice, the eponymous MacArthur's graced the banqueting occasions more than once.
Can't dredge up any names but I do recall once or twice shelling out for the occasional glass of the old singles. You do notice the difference.
Once I developed the taste forrem, the rare times I do indulge, it's only ever single malt.

Blacksheep
18th Apr 2006, 10:26
I saw a 35 year old MacCallan...Anything over 10 years and you're just flavouring it with the cask's previous contents. Drink it 12 years old maximum. Wine may improve with age but aging Scotch in the cask just increases the Angels' share.

A former scottish colleague, when asked what he wanted to drink, replied "A wee dram o' Famous Grouse" His host took him to be a man who appreciated a good whisky and later in the evening approached my friend - who was in full flow with one of his yarns - with a glass of amber fluid "I think ye'll find that t'yer likin!" he said. Never stopping in his yarn my friend splashed a generous dollop of ginger into the scotch and caught the look of total horror on his host's face just before he fainted.

The moral is - you'll never, ever be invited back if you add ginger to a glass of 1,000 pounds a bottle scotch whiskey.... :ooh:

G-ALAN
18th Apr 2006, 10:44
I still have a bottle of Macallan waiting for the right person to share it with. It is sitting in the kitchen at the moment and seems a shame to drink on my own

A couple of years ago I drank a bottle of limited edition 21yr old Macallan over one weekend which I was given it as a 21st b/day present. Nedless to say I was sh!t faced from Friday to Sunday which is a shame as after the first few you're too drunk to appreciate the flavour properly.

G-CPTN
18th Apr 2006, 10:52
That's why I suggested to TnT to restrict herself to one wee-one now and then.

Skypilot
18th Apr 2006, 11:19
That's nothing - have a look at this! Whisky bottle bought for 32,000 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4095758.stm)

TURIN
18th Apr 2006, 14:52
The moral is - you'll never, ever be invited back if you add ginger to a glass of 1,000 pounds a bottle scotch whiskey.... :ooh:

Or even Scotch WHISKY:ok: (I`ve got that the wrong way around haven`t I?):confused: :O

Anyway, never touch Sheepdip. It cost me a fortune (I proposed after a couple of tipples in EDI):ouch:

Current favourite is a Glenfarclas 105 (sp) from LHR duty free. 34 quid for a Litre of cask strength joy.
Most expensive was a JW Blue Label at Mach 2.:D Started drinking it mid atlantic, finished it a few minutes later on the roll out at LHR.:ok:

pzu
18th Apr 2006, 20:57
Yes I did pay 1000 (well 975 for cash!!!) for bottle #53/665 of Highland Park's 1958 bottling
http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/distillery/whisky/limited_edition.html
This was an 'investment' and as yet has barely shown any appreciation, :ooh: though other HP bottles that I have (16 in all) show gaiins of 70 - 100%; :ok:
If I drink whisky then it is Laguvulin - I daren't risk acquiring a taste for HPark!!! :eek:
PZU - Out of Africa

tall and tasty
18th Apr 2006, 21:30
So what are you doing the evening after the GatBash?at this rate I think I will be pouring and sharing the bottle of Macallan with you fine people on here. Oh but as long as I remember Jerricho is on in Blighty until Ocotber!! Have to save you some.

But I suppose I would love to go to a whisky tasting evening and just be decitant and try one of those from a 25,000 bottle just to make sure it is worth the expense.

If it is like the bubbly stuff, you can notice the difference, so I can't pass judgement until i have tried. But I always though a good whisky should be drunk in the settings it was made, so a Scottish one on the wild hills in the heather and morning mists and the Irish on a green mountains side, in the evening light. Better start looking at flights then :p

TnT

G-CPTN
18th Apr 2006, 22:10
But I always though a good whisky should be drunk in the settings it was made, so a Scottish one
should be drunk in the shower . . .

green granite
18th Apr 2006, 22:14
with several thousand midges flying around :rolleyes: