PDA

View Full Version : Bates Method

waterpau
16th Apr 2006, 17:38
I'm CAA class 1 unfit (marginally outside limits with astigmastism of -4 diopteres in one eye); somebody recently told me about the Bates method, whereby you can work on the muscles in the eye to naturally improve vision.

I can't find anything on success rates or how many people it works for, but I'd be interested to know if anybody has improved their eyesight to within CAA (or any other authrity) limits with this method, and have subsequently been certified as Class 1 fit.

Perhaps sounds a little too good to be true, but maybe worth a shot...

waterpau

Mac the Knife
16th Apr 2006, 18:36
The Wikipedia article on William Horatio Bates and his "method" (he died in 1931) is reasonably fair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Vision_Improvement

Bates believed that the eye accommodated, not by the action of the ciliary body on the lens, but by the extraocular muscles elongationg the eyeball, which certainly isn't correct at all.

There really isn't any evidence that it works, apart from the anecdotes of enthusiasts, but

"Critics concede that most of the Bates techniques are harmless, apart from the possibility that faith in the Bates system could deter people with eye conditions requiring prompt care from seeking conventional treatment."

But I know that there are some PPRuNers who claim to have thrown away their white cane and pensioned off the dog......

I like the story about Aldous Huxley!

PS: For a sceptical (or sanguine, depending on how you are inclined) view, see http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/bates.html

Loose rivets
17th Apr 2006, 23:49
That's interesting. I hadn't realised that the extra-ocular muscles were the focus (groan) of the Bates method.

I'll make a comment/recap, getting to the point at the end.

I am satisfied that I can use these muscles to effect a fine-tuning of my disappointing replacement lense... (+1.5 cyl.)...but realise that it is little more than a party trick.

I have written quite a bit about the pain that I suffered when these muscles went into spasm over a period of weeks. I hypothesized that it was because my brain was trying to process round a new huge floater. (post PVD) and mentioned that as a child I had, quite unconsciously, used this method to overcome a slight error in focus. Presumably this old tactic was stored away somewhere in my subconscious and came out to cause havoc over 50 years later.

In desperation, I went to see 3 different top surgeons while all this was going on. Never was the concept of these muscles causing the pain suggested.

Despite being passionately against the use of Valium, I used it as a diagnostic tool, and found that a minute amount switched off the spasm, stopping the pain and letting my eyes focus perfectly. I cannot imagine what would have happened if I had not thought of this.

The point being. Although I'm sure not many people are likely to react in this way, just perhaps, a few others will. Training these relatively large muscles into extracurricular activities, just may have hazardous side effects.

charles07323
26th Apr 2006, 16:49
From the link mentioned above, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Vision_Improvement

I found some free eye exercises (http://www.eye-exercises-for-good-vision.com) based on bates system. I tried doing them for a week but had not seen any significant improvement yet :uhoh: , although I must say that the eye relaxation exercises really helps :} .

I guess it requires a lot of patience and discipline to see the real result.

ilov3s3lina
27th Apr 2006, 10:58
i'm not too sure bout bates..

BUT i have 2 friends......

ine had an error of -1d in both eyes since 12.... he refuse to wear specs... at 18..... no error at alll.. holding class-1 without limitations...

the other one had error of -1.75d both eyes few years ago..... never use specs at all... checked yesterday... his error gone down to -1d both eye

cliste
27th Apr 2006, 12:29
Bought the Book and Tried the exercises !!

Result = Zero improvement

Had Lasek on left eye yesterday !

Result = wow !! after 24 hours could drive to clinic this morning for check up without the need to wear specks.

Surgeon was happy with result tested eyes and within driving limits , have to return next Tuesday to have clear contact lens removed. Also told that I will have 20/20 within 6 weeks.

Experienced a glare in bright sun light which I'm told will disappear shortly.

I can now understand that it could lead to problems for aviators when night flying.

I will keep you posted on how vision is improving over the next 6 weeks.

I understand that there is a new Lasor launched which is a big improvement on results todate, the glare problem can be resolved for example . In time once these methods have been tried and tested I presume it will be accepted for Commercial Flying.

It would be interesting to see if the medical examiner could detect Lasek surgery scaring without been told that the procedure was performed.

Cliste