RWY 27 FOR ALL OTHER DEP
OPR INFO: CAUTION UNAUTHORISED LASER ACTIVITY NORTH EAST OF
AERODROME
WND: 330-030/8
MAX DW 5 KTS RWY 27
CLD: CAVOK
+ TMP: 8
+ QNH: 1020

A Virgin Blue Crew suffered some minor eye damage not long ago. They were given tracking from KOUTA to Rockdale and had a Green Laser directed at them. They turned off all the external lights of the aircraft and the laser lost 'lock' (for want of a better term). It has also happened in Adelaide around the Modbury area to another Virgin aircraft. Im told that the laser is not a childs toy. It is an industrial strength type.

This is dangerous. If by chance the people responsible read this then please stop, lest you destroy someones career with irreparable eye damage or cause a major accident.

D*&kheads.

Tag

:mad:

yarrayarra
16th Apr 2006, 22:14
These morons should be advised that the RAAF Hornets are equipped with laser guided missiles which will track precisely to the source- remember Desert Storm video!!!

Ultralights
16th Apr 2006, 22:32
wonder if a self defence plee will get the RAAF off any charges if a bomb is dropped? :} in this era of terrorism and all:\

FL440
17th Apr 2006, 08:49
Im currently living in NZ, i was sat in my living room the other night when one of these "green lasers" flashed in our lounge window! they are powerful, i had a look on the internet and serached for them, Trademe which is a on line selling site, had hundred

www.trademe.co.nz
search under gadgets and other....

they are sold for about $100 nz, cheap and pretty dam powerful

havent heard of any pilots over here having seen the lasers though, but im sure it wont be long

hopefully the people that do these things realise how dangerous it is!
:sad:

Escape_Slide
17th Apr 2006, 10:13
This is almost as stupid as those kids lying on the roadway in Sydney doing push ups or pelting eggs at taxi drivers.

The community should help.

:*

Ultralights
17th Apr 2006, 10:49
This is almost as stupid as those kids lying on the roadway in Sydney doing push ups or pelting eggs at taxi drivers.:*

i have had a similar experience happen to me driving through Kyeemagh late one evening. 2 kids on the medium walked into to road as i approached, obviously moving towards me in the centre lane, as i went past them 1 threw a huge lemon at my car cracking the windscreen. :mad: i hit the brakes to go back, and as i started reversing they began running towards me, and 2 more ran out from a nearby house, not wanting to be the next shooting victim in Syd, i quickly departed.. no point in going to the police either.

and people ask me why i moved out of Sydney!!

sadly if the laser incident get some mainstream media attention, the occurences of such events will drastically increase..

Alien Sex God
17th Apr 2006, 14:37
Why didn't you just run over them?

the wizard of auz
17th Apr 2006, 14:49
Isn't it a shame we couldn't return the light stream..........I'm thinking tracers. :hmm:

Escape_Slide
17th Apr 2006, 22:28
What about if we hit the event button on the DFDR panel (if fitted). Maybe that would help record some position and attitude data that might help pin point roughly the area. OK a bank angle change might vary that a bit but it would help police maybe target an area once scientifically analysed. Just a thought. The pilots may have some idea of the approximate location based on visual observation, then with the event recorded, the positional information is put in and you might be able to narrow it down to a couple of square kms.

Would satellites pick this sort of stuff up?

Aussie Pete
19th Apr 2006, 06:38
The lasers were covered on Channel 9 about a month ago? I certainly remember the report. Not good.

CashKing
20th Apr 2006, 07:28
One thing to keep in mind is that the less visible the wavelength, the less the eye's blink reflex will help.
Relative visibilities:
555 nm = 1 630 nm = .24 670 nm = .32 700 nm = .0041 780 nm = .000015 900 nm = 3.2E-9 At some wavelength, the cornea, lens, and vitreous of the eye becomes opaque so retinal damage isn't likely. However, within your range, if there is no blink reflex, you could be staring into a 1W laser and not know it until way too late!

airbusthreetwenty
7th May 2006, 05:08
I live really quite close to Sydney airport. I was going out last night and while walking to the train station, i noticed a green laser being pointed towards me. Because of where i was standing, the laser beam could have come from one of two apartment blocks. Both located near Wolli Creek train station.

Both apartment blocks have views in towards Sydney and also of 16R/34L. I hope these morons haven't attempted pointing their laser at aircraft flying in and out of Sydney.

Sunfish
7th May 2006, 06:30
Prohibit the importation of these devices and kill anyone found in posession of one of them.

There is no legitimate use for such a device.

dinoburner
7th May 2006, 06:49
At the risk of being this being ripped apart in the 'Court of PP Tech Knowledge'...

Another problem with the risk from lasers is that some beams are not coloured and as such you would not know you had been 'lasered' (Dr Evil style) until you felt your eyes melting!

There are many cases of this occurring with US military pilots, esp during the Cold War. Soviet ships would target aircraft with ship-borne laser equipment used for targeting, and in some cases caused serious eye damage to crew on the aircraft (damn Ruskis and their high-tech equipment).

My call, go to the nightclubs in town and start by confiscating the hand held pretty laser beams there... and the whistles while you're at it! ;)

vee1-rotate
7th May 2006, 14:30
driving on the Princes Freeway to Geelong yesterday afternoon, and saw the road signs ahead being lit up with a green laser beam. Managed to find out the culprit - a young P Plater in a Commodore, still shining it on signs and at cars as we drove next to him trying to get his attention. If anyone knows a person with the plates HAZZAH around the Hoppers Crossing area, cut off his legs at the kneecaps for me will you...you'd be doing the community a great favour...

Pimp Daddy
8th May 2006, 01:58
If anyone knows a person with the plates HAZZAH around the Hoppers Crossing area, cut off his legs at the kneecaps for me will you...you'd be doing the community a great favour...

Don't take half measures, ring your local police station and ask for the local traffic unit and make a statement, they'll pass it on the the relevant unit.

Personal plates stand out like the proverbial, one would suspect if he's into dumb stuff like you saw, he'll already be well known with the TMU, gives them another excuse for a visit.