PDA

View Full Version : Aus, Skywest and other stuff

Say Altitude
16th Apr 2006, 06:35
Just looking for some quick comments on the general "State of the Nation" in Australia for pilots/employment and specifically Skywest. I live about as far from Aus as you can get, flying an F100 and the wife/sugar mama may have an opportunity to move to Aus (Medicine) in the near future. Have an ATPL and more than enough time to qualify for any hiring requirements and a degree to boot from a well known University.

How tough is it for foreigners to find work in Aus? Will having the F100 type rating make a difference for an operation like Skywest? (Could only find them as an F100 operator in Aus). Does being from a Commonwealth country make a difference? What's involved in transferring an ATPL? Are there any restrictions about moving to Aus that I need to know about?

I haven't applied anywhere yet but just putting it out there in case the "boss" get serious about moving...

Or should I just stay at home with my two kids and let the wife bring home the cake??

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh yea, I'm not American.

Capt. Queeg
16th Apr 2006, 06:52
How tough is it for foreigners to find work in Aus?

Or should I just stay at home with my two kids and let the wife bring home the cake??Wasn't so tough a few years back..... about 15 or so.

Splendid idea. Leave the wife to put in a bit of effort, for a change. You concentrate on recreational flying, instead.

slice
16th Apr 2006, 10:08
The minimum requirement level for Pilot (Flight Crew) employment is as follows:-

* 1,500 hours total experience
* 200 hours multi (command)
* ATPL subjects passed
* Command Instrument Rating with minimum of two renewals
* 100 night hours
* Year 12 passes in 4 subjects, including Maths, English and Physics
* Must be an Australian Citizen or Resident with a three year validity

I recommend first up finding out if you can get a 3 year work visa based on the wife's employment as I don't think the occupation of Pilot is in the preferred occupation catagory for Australian immigration anymore. AFAIK Skywest have employed some with appropriate experience straight onto the F100 but I understand most of the recruitment is at the bottom as an F50 FO.

Online application at this link if you have not done so already.

http://www.skywest.com.au/employment/flightcrew/

I don't work for or have any contacts there so I can't really comment on the attitude towards foreign crew (F100 time can't hurt though!).

topend3
16th Apr 2006, 11:11
i know for a fact that 99% of the F100 crews commenced from the bottom as F50 f/o's or have been with the company for some time. they don't have many pilots that started on the F100.

topdrop
16th Apr 2006, 11:33
Doesn't appear to have any jobs at the moment - but perhaps worth a try in the future.
http://www.allianceairlines.com.au/home.htm

cunninglinguist
16th Apr 2006, 13:31
I concur with Topend, Say Alt.
Maybe when they introduced the F truck you might have snuck in, but now it would be F50 F/O, and for some stretch, I would think.

Say Altitude
16th Apr 2006, 18:27
I'm getting the feeling that the industry as a whole in Aus/NZ is pretty tough for employment then correct? I know this is a bit of a tough question but what seems to be the min time requirements to get on with any of the airlines? 1500? 3000? 5000? Has there been/is there any movement in the industry down there?

Thanks again for the candid answers.

cunninglinguist
18th Apr 2006, 08:38
Say alt, your question is a bit like " how long is a piece of string ? "
All the outfits have their minimums eg QF = 500hrs, Year 12 ( or equiv ) Maths physics english.( 500 hours if Military )
VB = ATPL, 1000hrs ( 500 multi PIC ) Aust command inst rating, and AUD $32000
Jetstar = 2000hrs ( 500 PIC multi ), ATPL, Aust perm residency, and have a spare AUD$32000 in the bank.

I think it depends on what is available at the time and what the pen pushing :mad: in HR/Management decide they want at the time.
You know the old story " we'll take a guy with 1500 hrs GA and " mold " him the way we want " or " we need pilots with experience for easy transition to left seat " etc etc.

VB and Jet* and QF and NJS have been known to take anything from 1000hr GA pilots to 15000 multi jet endorsed pilots ( and probably more extremes as well ) 20 years old to 50 years old.

General rule of thumb: 2500 hours, 1000 multi ( 1500 PIC ), t/prop or jet experience an advantage, experience commensurate with age.

Say Altitude
21st Apr 2006, 04:38
Thanks for the info. Sounds like aviation in your part of the world is full of the same trials/tribulations and BS like everywhere else.....Maybe I'll get in touch with the Aus consulate and ask some more questions on working permits etc

Although that Mr. Mom gig while the wife works is starting to sound even better.....always wanted to live in Aus....

Thanks folks.

tinpis
21st Apr 2006, 04:52
Missus working as a PART -TIME medico will gross nearly twice what you will fline planes mate.