PDA

View Full Version : RAF Buntingsdale Hall

tmmorris
15th Apr 2006, 19:50
Does anyone know where I can find out more about RAF Buntingsdale Hall? Anyone here remember it? All I know is that it was 4 School of Technical Training from 1936 and had closed when I was a small boy and was taken around the derelict building (in c.1978, aged around seven.)

All I was told at the time was that it had been 'used by the army [sic] during the war' and I have only just made the connection to the RAF! I grew up in nearby Market Drayton.

Tim

green granite
15th Apr 2006, 20:03
lots of hits when I googled it :cool: :cool:

vmv2
15th Apr 2006, 20:16
I was stationed at Tern Hill between Feb 67 and Jul 68 when Buntingsdale Hall was HQ 22 Gp, Technical Training Command.

AdanaKebab
15th Apr 2006, 20:18
"when I was a small boy I was taken around the derelict building"

Who by? A man with a bag of sweets and promises of puppies.:ok:

Seriously though, many hits on google.

Rigga
15th Apr 2006, 20:29
Whew! What a name from the past!
Buntingsdale Hall was still on the RAF Tern Hill Guardroom’s Key Board/List up to its closure in 1976. It was situated directly across the A41 from the main Tern Hill site, and on the road from the Tern Hill O/AMQ’s to Market Drayton.
I was one of the last personnel posted there, straight from my Mechanics Course in 1975.
I remember being told that the place used to have security (blister) checks carried out by the MOD-Plods who used to regularly report seeing “The Green Lady” on the stairs.
When the building was in use, it was apparently sumptuously furnished, and had a large portrait of a former female resident on the Stairs, which, on moonlit nights, would have light reflected onto it from the pond below. The old glass in the large staircase window adding a green glow.
Spooky!
Is it still standing? Used?
Rigga (Well, I was a Rigger then)
I must look at Google then!

tmmorris
15th Apr 2006, 21:33
Yes, still standing and in 2004 it was taken off the 'buildings at risk' register which is good news. One website notes that it is owned by a Mr & Mrs Mackworth who are descendents of the original inhabitants - I wonder if it reverted to them when the RAF left and they couldn't afford to restore it for several years?

Can't remember who took me round - I went with my father who was a local vicar but we were shown round by someone with the keys. Maybe the Mackworths, if my surmise above is correct.

Apparently you can rent a cottage in the grounds for holidays! (http://www.britinfo.net/T/1041596.htm)

Tim

plassey1
16th Apr 2006, 18:46
My father stationed there in the 50's when according to his files was HQ 42 group.Large rambling building with a lake nearby. We lived in married quarters near Tern Hill. Seem to remember playing in aircraft wrecks at Stoke Heath which was an MU .Went to school in Market drayton

Wwyvern
17th Apr 2006, 15:48
Buntingsdale Hall was HQ 22 Group, Flying Training Command at least from mid 1968 until after 1971,

AVM Digger Magill, fresh from his Report on the future of the UASs, was AOC all UASs plus some ground training and, we ran the CAACUs, (Civil Anti-Aircraft Control Units?) which flew Vampires and Meteors at Exeter and Woodvale, particularly for the benefit of the Fleet.

In regard to the Green Lady, we once had a ghost hunt late at night. She was there, very pronounced, glowing on the wall of the landing on the stairs. We found that an outside street lamp shone through an old window pane, and hit the wall on the stairs at just the right focal length. If the light was distorted, the Ghost changed shape. Even so, it was scary.

The Hall was a very pleasant way to spend a ground tour. Got 48 flying hours in the tour.

teeteringhead
18th Apr 2006, 08:14
Certainly remember it as HQ 22 Group (UASs and other stuff) when young APO Teeters was training at Ternhill.

As Orderly Officer at Ternhill had to go and close the bar at Buntingsdale ... wonderful stone-flagged place ... and would be bribed by resident staff officers (was that you Wwyvern??) to keep bar open and to keep them company ....