PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone deals

jimgriff
15th Apr 2006, 19:50
I like to think that I am reasonably sound of mind and educated, but I recently tried to upgrade my mobile phone........:suspect:

I also want to keep the number of my old mobile phone for obvious reasons.

Has anyone tried to do this recently....BLOODY HELL! I only want to change my phone. I kid you not. It is easier to re-mortgage a house!!:{

Jerricho
15th Apr 2006, 19:51
Heh heh.

Free phone? Minimum mothly contract of how much. How long?

Yeah right.

;)

jimgriff
15th Apr 2006, 20:09
I dont mind paying long term as I have had a contract for the last 5 years with a certain type of Citrus fruit company (GEDDiT!!) and I want to upgrade to a PDA phone with 3g capability. I fancy the SPV M5000.

But when I phone the company I have to upgrade first and wait 3 months and then I dont even know if I get the phone of my choice. Or I can pay £375 and get the phone, stay with present contract and keep the number, OR I can get the phone for free, recontract for 18 months and get a new number which I do not want to change!!!!! ARGH!!!!:bored:

Saintsman
15th Apr 2006, 20:16
Try this one.

Phone up the citrus company and ask for a PAC code because you are going to move to a new network. I'm sure that they will try to persuade you to stay with them and negotiate the deal you really want.

green granite
15th Apr 2006, 20:27
Try this one.
Phone up the citrus company and ask for a PAC code because you are going to move to a new network. I'm sure that they will try to persuade you to stay with them and negotiate the deal you really want.

Before u do it. research what the other companies are giving away
so u can quote "that so and so are giving this free" and they will usually
match it

Paris Dakar
15th Apr 2006, 20:28
jimgriff,

I have been with my provider for about a similar length of time and every year I ring them up (just as the contract is about to expire) and explain that I wish to cancel my contract. Their answer has always been the same 'you are a valued customer, please accept a free phone and stay with us'.

This year however, slightly different approach by said provider:

Paris - 'Hello, I'd like to cancel my contract'

*-Mobile - Ok, that's it terminated for you Mr Dakar, is there anything else I can help you with today'

Paris - (mild worry in my voice)....er.....er.....erm.....am I entitled to an upgrade?'

*-Moble - 'No, you've just cancelled your contract?

Paris - 'If I stay with you can I have the PDA phone with sat nav'?

*-Mobile - 'You can but it will cost you 250 for the phone and 75 for the navigation software and your line rental will increase by 20pcm.

Paris - 'No, no that's too much'

*-Mobile 'It's the best offer you are going to get from us'

They did offer me a discount of 5 per month if I wanted to stay with them and keep my current handset and number!! :confused:

Gingerbread Man
15th Apr 2006, 20:37
I've thought about upgrading my phone countless times over the last couple of years, and never have. It still calls and texts people, so i'm happy. If a video phone is 3rd Generation though, what does that make mine? It just has phone and text and FM radio. And something called GPRS, but i've yet to discover how that works or what use it is, if any.

GBM ;)

AnEviltwinEr
15th Apr 2006, 22:59
Ever resarched, and found that the phone company sol you their phone with loss?

(that is, if you're willing to do a little math:
phone cost when it's bounded to a network, + (monthly pay * months its bounded for) = The fully and truly phone cost for you.)

I have. :D

BlueDiamond
16th Apr 2006, 02:24
I don't think my mobile service provider likes me very much. When I signed with them they gave me a free phone and free calls for the first ten days. After I'd had it for a month, the phone proved to be faulty with an intermittent problem that they could neither locate nor fix. So they gave me another new phone and said I may as well keep the old one as it was no use to them with an intermittent fault.

The new phone worked really well until it went missing - I believed it had been stolen from the reception desk where I worked. I reported it to the police and then reported it to my service provider who suggested I come in and see them. I did that the next day and they gave me another new phone. Eight weeks later my previous mobile phone was found, the one that was lost/stolen. I reported this to my provider and said I'd bring it in next time I was passing. "Nah, keep it," was the response. I now had three new phones from the same provider ... two worked perfectly, one was unreliable.

Was I on a really big contract for this? No. I'm on a $10 per month plan because I hardly ever make phone calls. I have yet to fill the quota let alone exceed it. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my service provider.

Avtrician
16th Apr 2006, 02:58
Every two years I upgrade my phone, whether I need to or not, I stay on My $20.00 a month contract and get a new phone. As far as I see it, it doesnt realy cost anything and I get a new phone:E

Needles to say I have a collection of old phones at home, they come in handy when I have visitor from o'seas, just bung in a prepaid card and they are away.:ok::ok:

BlueDiamond
16th Apr 2006, 03:35
Did that this year, Avi, except that my phones don't have SIM cards. They can still be used as pre-paid though by having a number allocated by the provider and buying a "starter pack" containing a registration card and $25 credit. The phone can be activated online once you have a number for it. 'Twas very easy to arrange. :ok:

1DC
17th Apr 2006, 13:29
Well my phone will be about five years old now, still works and the only aggro i get is from Mrs 1DC who can't understand why i am not bothered about getting a new one.It cost me 150 to buy, no monthly charges and i only pay if i use it.Monthly bill is always well under fiver sometimes less than a pound.Suspect if i got a new one i wouldn't be able to keep my exisiting deal..

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Apr 2006, 14:27
One is a bit of a Luddite with mobile 'phones. Not sure where mine is but could probably find it by calling the number on the landline if the battery hasn't run down by now...:hmm:

Often have the urge to insert them into pratts where they'd need surgical removal.