PDA

View Full Version : People in car parks

phnuff
15th Apr 2006, 19:16
I have just returned from a visit to the local Sainsbury's having witnessed the most incredible stupidity by pedestrians in the car park. Mr & Mrs Stupid (profession not surname), got out of their car and started wandering towards the store. In order to get to the door, they have to cross a 'road' for want of a better term, which has a zebra crossing 10 yards away. Did these nimno's use it, did they hell. They just wandered out across the road without looking at all, and Mr Stupid came so close to getting a backside full of Ford Focus, it was unreal. Instead of acknowledging his foolishness, he then went around to the driver of the car and began to rant and threaten. The store security guard who had been watching came out and intervened with the result that the Stupids took offence and took their business elsewhere.

Am I the only person who feels that people in car parks disengage their brains the second they get out of their cars or am I being unfair to cretins?

tall and tasty
15th Apr 2006, 19:25
No your not, it includes the business men who think parking in baby/parent spaces is an allowed thing and mothers who plonk their little ones in the baby carrier right behind the car where no one can see them and it is an accident waiting to happen.

But I witnessed a woman coming out of a supermarket, (but the same as your you visited) and walk to her car, she ploughed into another woman with the trolly and carried on, so the woman hit took offence and chased after her.

The first obviously oblivious to what she had done could not understand why the second lady got upset. It ended up with trollies being over turned, hair pulling and security calling the police!!:ooh:

So yes I think brains are disengaged when car parks are entered. But saying that it does not happen to everyone I know who uses a car park, one particular story I could tell................naw the integrity of the person has to be maintained but lets say he had trouble getting the car out of the car bay, it took a couple of hours to do it :} due to distractions and trying to get hand and eye co-ordination 110%

TnT

Loose rivets
15th Apr 2006, 19:44
Mmmm....they were probably from Texas. People here expect all vehicular traffic to give way to pedestrians in the vast store car parks. Really, it is only the (huge) marked area in front of the doors that are protected areas, but for the rest of the acreage, peds still expect to be wet-nursed.

Mind you, these otherwise pleasant Latino folk down in "the Valley", leave their carts behind the next car...or anywhere that will not impede their departure. A couple of times I have pushed the cart back behind their car, and tapped on their door and pointed. Then run like hell!

I once watched a youth walk out from a school bus, while reading a comic. I mentioned to my American driver, words to the effect, "your children have been taught to expect safety...if he was in Italy, he wouldn't survive the first day." She saw the logic in over protection.

Jerricho
15th Apr 2006, 19:49
Here in Canada, pedestrians actually have the right of way, and oh boy do the feckers believe it. I have had somebody walk out on the road in front of me in an 80 km/h zone and glare at me when I came to a screaching halt centimeters from them. There have been advertising campaigns along the lines of "Yes, you do have the right of way, but don't die for it".

Car park are even worse. Before I got rid of my Scoobie, I took great joy in coasting up behind some asshat who was dawdling along in everybody's way, put it in neutral and floor it............sounded like a jet taking off :E. They moved.

AnEviltwinEr
15th Apr 2006, 19:49
Here we have a law that Cars have to wait for other cars when they come out from a parkinglot.

But du you thing they're respecting that?

Nah.

I've seen MANY near-accidents (although im NOT old :rolleyes:) regarding people wanting to race out of that lot.

:eek:

chevvron
15th Apr 2006, 19:57
Ever noticed that women drivers always drive fast through car parks and men take it carefully?

ExSimGuy
15th Apr 2006, 20:03
See the "locals" here coming out of the Mosque - especially on Friday lunchtime.

Amble slowly across a dual-carriageway, looking in the other direction, Coz Big A must be covering their @ss after "Friday Prayers":\

Of course, the treble-parking outside does tend to slow the traffic down:=

Saintsman
15th Apr 2006, 20:23
"People in car parks " I thought that this was going to be about another subject :}

If I go to a supermarket with my wife I have to park as close to the store's door as possible, even if I have to wait an age for a space. Why I can't just park and walk in....

Not worth the arguement :hmm:

Gingerbread Man
15th Apr 2006, 20:34
I always get asked by people in the car with me why I reverse into parking bays. Am I alone in thinking it's a much easier option? Your pivot point is the back wheels, so why bother trying doing a 35 point turn to get in and out when you can just go backwards :} ?

Ginger ;)

HOGE
15th Apr 2006, 20:46
And another thing about car parks in the UK. Why can't we have angled spaces like the US have? (Previously pointed out by Bill Bryson in one of his books) I'm sure there must be some somewhere, but it would appear that about 99% of British car parks insist on straight spaces, about 1 inch wider than the average car.:*

goldfrog
15th Apr 2006, 20:47
I always get asked by people in the car with me why I reverse into parking bays. Am I alone in thinking it's a much easier option? Your pivot point is the back wheels, so why bother trying doing a 35 point turn to get in and out when you can just go backwards :} ?

Ginger ;)
And when you get back with your trolley load of shopping the back of the car, where the stuff goes, is inacessible???

Gingerbread Man
15th Apr 2006, 20:52
Quite true. I sometimes carry it with my arms to the other end though. Other times I simply despair and leave the shopping on the tarmac and weep :( .

The thread didn't specify supermarket car parks, so i'm going to stick with the belief that my way is better :p .

Kind regards, Ginger ;)

Why can't we have angled spaces like the US have? (Previously pointed out by Bill Bryson in one of his books)

I love that bit when he talks about parking - chuffing hilarious :ok:

frostbite
15th Apr 2006, 21:00
I was taught to always reverse in - gives you a quick getaway if you need it.

ShyTorque
15th Apr 2006, 21:17
Ginger ;)

But if you were to do that in my local Tesco supermarket you would be unable to load your shopping into the rear of your car, due to the closeness of the car in the bay beyond...... and unable to get the trolley down the side of the car due to the narrowness of the bays.

"And another thing about car parks in the UK. Why can't we have angled spaces like the US have?"

Great idea. My local Sainsbury's has angled bays. Unfortunately they are angled the wrong way so you are obliged to reverse in then can't get to the boot/trunk as above!

Loki
15th Apr 2006, 21:20
Has anyone else noticed the lemming like behaviour of drivers in multi storey car parks? Why is it that everyone tries to park on the first floor, usually hovering on the access ramp, craning necks to spot a space. If they do succeed (having caused a tailback in the process), they end up parking a considerable distance from lift or stairs, whereas a floor or two up, and they could have parked right next to the lift entrance, parked and got down to street/shop level while the aforementioned numpties are still trying to find a space.

Gingerbread Man
15th Apr 2006, 21:22
Totally agree. I always park on the roof, even if it's raining. This is mainly because i'm a big kid and like the spiralling effect of getting there :) .

Ginger ;)

Whirlygig
15th Apr 2006, 21:35
you would be unable to load your shopping into the rear of your car
Not a problem for me as I have a handbag-sized boot :p . Consequently, I always reverse park! Shopping has to go on the back seat, passenger seat and wine in the footwell.

However, I drive to the furthest space in Tesco so that I can open my door! And I go at the crack of dawn when it's empty.

Life with a sports car takes a lot of planning!

Cheers

Whirls

phnuff
15th Apr 2006, 21:44
Of course, having started this thread, and on a similar supermarket subject, it has just occured to me that the other thing I really hate are the people one finds in supermarkets who suddenly see someone they know and procede to have a conversation with them effectively blocking the ailes. The number of times that you have to ask them to move and get a look like something which has crawled out of a sewer. And, sorry, I have to be honest, women do seem to do this more than men (although it may be that supermarkets have more women in than men and of course, that women frequently give me looks like something that has crawled out of the sewer.). :{

chiglet
15th Apr 2006, 22:01
I pass the "Open Air Car Park" at Manchester Airport on my way to and from work. To their credit, MA PLC have done a commendible job of putting Disabled Parking Spaces very near to the Terminal [Albeit with a "high kerb"]
Why is it then, that when I pass, ALL of these spaces are taken up by "Private Hire Minibuses?" :ugh: :mad:
watp,iktch

seacue
15th Apr 2006, 22:36
I live in the USofA and can't remember the last time I saw an angled place in a car park. They are extremely uncommon where I have been.

I do see cars parked at an angle to occupy two spaces, intended to avoid dings from the doors of adjacent cars.

frostbite
15th Apr 2006, 22:43
My local Morrison's has the disabled bays right by the entrance. Thanks to idle staff however, there is normally a walk the length of the store to pick up a trolley.

steinycans
15th Apr 2006, 22:59
Oh yes, I know what you mean about the people who wander out in front of you. Here pedestrians do not have right of way unless they are on a designated pedestrian crossing yes they wander out in front of you on busy roads anyway.

This one lady (honestly she looked like a junkie) had a fit at me for not stopping for her at a t-intersection. She banged on my windscreen and pointed down at the road saying 'cant you see the lines?' as if the white line that shows you where to stop was a kind of pedestrian crossing. I wonder how long she's thought that and how long before that belief kills her.

Another one I had was these people crossing the road while I was driving along. One of them started to take a step out as I drove past but hastily retreated when they realised I was not going to come to a complete halt for them. All I registered was a suprised/angry look and the phrase "...half way across..." as I drove past. It does not matter if you are half way across the road or not, you do not get right of way over cars unless you are at a designated crossing.

Of course if you want to talk about pedestrian crossings. All you have to do is go to the intersection of Shortland and Queen St downtown (by the way there is no hospital on Shortland Street, it's all law firms and high-rises). This is a t-intersection and is controlled by traffic lights. All the pedestrians cross at once. If you are unfortunate enough to be approaching this intersection in a car during lunchtime, there is a very good chance you will not be able to cross it at all. Once the 'cross now' signal is extinguished and the green lights are on again, people continue to cross and quite often the orange light will appear again before the crowds have dispersed. It is very frustrating.

One day I might just have to be 'changing the radio station' or 'fall asleep at the wheel'.

ShyTorque
15th Apr 2006, 23:53
Not a problem for me as I have a handbag-sized boot :p . Consequently, I always reverse park! Shopping has to go on the back seat, passenger seat and wine in the footwell.

However, I drive to the furthest space in Tesco so that I can open my door! And I go at the crack of dawn when it's empty.

Life with a sports car takes a lot of planning!

Cheers

Whirls

You have a boot? Are you sure it's a sports car and not a coupe? :p

A lot of shopping (normally about a dozen and a half carrier bags for our bunch of Gannets) takes even more planning if you've got no boot or back seats ..... even if you don't drink wine ;) .

So, I normally take the boring old saloon to the supermarket, unless it's on a very steep hill, which most of them aren't.

Loose rivets
16th Apr 2006, 00:18
This one lady (honestly she looked like a junkie) had a fit at me for not stopping for her at a t-intersection. She banged on my windscreen and pointed down at the road saying 'cant you see the lines?' as if the white line that shows you where to stop was a kind of pedestrian crossing. I wonder how long she's thought that and how long before that belief kills her.

Er, are you in the UK? cos if you are, and the pedestrian has started to cross at a marked junction, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO ALLOW THEM TO CROSS.

However, I think that such determination will eventually kill her.

used to be rule 56 think it is 20 something now.

spekesoftly
16th Apr 2006, 00:44
All this supermarket parking/shopping/queuing hassle. Gave it up a long time ago. We just order online, and it's delivered - low stress and time saving.

steinycans
16th Apr 2006, 02:10
Interesting. I was talking about New Zealand where there is no such rule.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Apr 2006, 02:29
like the spiralling effect of getting there Actually, that would be a helix. A spiral would leave you at the same level :8

I just listened to Bill Bryson's Lost Continent on radio 7. That was pretty funny. They have a new one next week.

Avtrician
16th Apr 2006, 02:50
Angled car bays will lose the space for one car, cant have that now. And, how will the guy going the wrong way down the lane be able to park:confused:

Parking bays are not made to fit the average car, but the smallest Jap/korean car on the market. I have hells own job parking my car (no my driving is not that bad), I have a 1985 Ford Failane (Oz car), its wide enough to sit four in the back seat, and 18" longer than a standard Ford, or 4' longer than a Daewoo. (cant afford to drive it much these days, it has an 84 Litre fuel tank which gets eaten in a week). These day prefer the bike, but small cars still insist in parking in a bike only bay, then get upset if you put a bike in a car bay (can get four bikes in a car bay)

As for safety in the car park, one is safer trying to hitch hike in the middle of a freeway in Saudi, dressed as a Rabbi .:E:E:E

acbus1
16th Apr 2006, 07:18
I'll go to the top of a multi-storey just for the helical of it.

wine in the footwell.
Naw, she sits in the seat and wines.

shack
16th Apr 2006, 09:38
Come to a Hypermarche in France on a Friday around Mid-day and you can take part in the French Grand Prix for nothing!!

thomay
16th Apr 2006, 10:45
Crossing Peds: What always gets me is that some people (especially greens) insist that they can cross whenever they want, where ever they want, and practically force themselves onto the street even if there are only, say, 2 or 3vehicles approaching, followed by a big gap in traffic.

Of course it is their way of right but what on earth do they gain by stepping out in front of vehicles (the greens and “alternatives” especially seem to like the 40 ton trucks just for good measure), making them come to a stop, crossing the road, and then having to breathe in all the exhaust gases that those re-accelerating vehicles emit, and that is including, literally, grams of black micro-dust from older Euro 0 - Euro 2 type diesel vehicles (cars and trucks) blown right into their faces by the (in Europe most common) horizontal exhaust pipe (at head level for a 3 year old). :yuk:

Sorry, I know I have a propensity to write mile long sentences…:8

It is said that, in order to accelerate a 40 ton truck from 0 to 80 km/h (50 mph), one fires nearly 1 liter (¼ gal) of diesel into the air. But that seems to be much more acceptable than waiting a further 10 seconds, letting the vehicles coast by and then cross the road in comparatively clean air.

Guess it is just another example of idealism gone mad to the extent that the idealists hurt themselves, and all others, thank you very much, by insisting on principle rather than think rationally and critically. As Jerricho quoted in a previous post: "Yes, you do have the right of way, but don't die for it".

AUTOGLIDE
16th Apr 2006, 11:51
There are certain places where a large concentration of really stupid people will definately concregate, mainly:
1) Supermarkets - truly muppet central. People here have been transported from a social experiment centre and have deliberately been engineered to have no manners of awareness of other people, just to see how they get on with others. It follows that they cannot park or drive properly.
2) UK Airports - Anywhere remotely close to any holiday flight to somewhere like Spain. Same as above but with 10 pints of lager per person added in. I cannot remember how many people, per day, at MAN ask me 'How do you get to level 2?' whilst standing in front of the car park lift, or the alternative 'where's the other level 2? I can't find my car'.

christn
16th Apr 2006, 12:07
Having had my car scratched so many times in Supermarket carparks I always park in the empty spaces at the far end of the car park. Why is it that when I return someone has always parked in the space right next me???????

Gingerbread Man
16th Apr 2006, 12:40
Actually, that would be a helix. A spiral would leave you at the same level

Damn. I can't help but feel that has taken some of the magic away from the exercise :( . Is the whole description of a 'spiral dive' using incorrect terminology then? Or do they get away with it because of the 'dive' part?

Next time I go to a multi-storey i'll be playing Helter Skelter on the stereo :) .

Ginger ;)

Krystal n chips
16th Apr 2006, 12:47
Might as well add the :mad: 's who duly park and wait for a space as near to the store as possible--that's waiting on the road system in the car park to save the bone idle sods walking a few yards ( most of this species are fit and able bodied btw and usually sans darling brats as well ) so there is nothing to actually impede them from parking a fair distance away now is there ? ----and those :mad: who park on the side of the road--then look as you approach--and then open the car door into the traffic flow--and wonder why they get a "lesson in lip reading" as you are forced to brake or take out the door and the driver!--why not wait for say, however long it takes for a vehicle to get past you, or the traffic stream to get past--then open the door you assinine cretin !!

R4+Z
16th Apr 2006, 17:11
In Oz the thing that gets Mrs R4's goat is the people who drive through parking bays. That is you go to pull into a bay and someone on the other row drives through the bay they entered and into the one you were about to go into so that you have a near head on. :( :( :(