PDA

View Full Version : Skills Test Frustration!

Dop
15th Apr 2006, 17:01
Aaargh! Another skills test cancelled because of crap weather. I worked out that my next booking will be almost exactly FIVE MONTHS since the first booking I had.

Has anyone else suffered from repeated weather-related cancellations of their big day? Or does fate hate me in particular?

That said, any hints and tips anyone has on preparing for the big day would be quite useful!

Gingerbread Man
15th Apr 2006, 20:08
That's a pain in the arse. I was fortunate to do mine during the summer, but I still had to call off the nav section initally because the cloudbase was too low.

I can't give you any advice other than relax about the test. Just be confident in your abilities and you should be fine. My test was just like taking a friend for a flight - it seemed really simple. Make sure you've flown a couple of hours in the days beforehand - hope it goes well :ok: .

Ginger ;)

Cricket23
15th Apr 2006, 21:01
I passed my skills test last Monday,so it's all still fresh.

As has been said a good practice flight a day or so beforehand would be good, and even better if the instructor makes it a mock test, complete with you briefing him/her.

I also spent a couple of evenings making sure that I knew all the correct speeds, and various capacities (not just the fuel, but the oil and coolant as well).

Also, I worked on some imaginary diversions (made up the wind etc), until I could do it blindfolded. Plus, I also spent a bit of time on th 1-in-60 rule. Again, making up some drift and course corrections.

All, in all, this may have been over-the-top, but I did fell throughly prepared, and the examiner did his best to make the flight like any other ordinary flight.

So, try to relax (easier said than done), and remember that your instructor would not recommend that you do it unless he was sure that you were safe and were going to pass. After all, if you fail, it will reflect on him/her as well.

C23

Jerricho
15th Apr 2006, 21:47
What the hell is this? Aviation related thread! :eek: :oh:

All the very best of luck with it! :ok:

DX Wombat
15th Apr 2006, 22:45
What the hell is this? Aviation related thread! :eek: :oh: It's a worry isn't it Jerricho :uhoh:
Don't worry Dop, I know someone else who had the same problem and he then went on to pass it at his first attempt. :ok:

Howard Hughes
15th Apr 2006, 22:52
What the hell is this? Aviation related thread! :eek: :oh:
All the very best of luck with it! :ok:

Asshat pilots who don't file flight plans then expect a clearance through your airspace..................

Yes, you heard me right................MY airspace.
So let me get this straight, no aviation related threads, but posts are OK?;)

seacue
15th Apr 2006, 23:23
You'll have to remember that Mr. J. really just plays video games with those little dots on his CRT that seem to obey his spoken instructions. Nothing to do with aviation.
Ducking, running for cover.

Best wishes for success dop.

Jerricho
16th Apr 2006, 00:01
Howard.........shhhhhhh.

Keep my hypocrisy a secret eh!

acbus1
16th Apr 2006, 06:29
I also spent a couple of evenings making sure that I knew all the correct speeds
So knowing those isn't something you normally need? :confused: