PDA

View Full Version : bmi ???? information please

xana
15th Apr 2006, 16:30
hello ... i really need some information...
is this a good company to work for... or not?
thank you very much

crewboy
15th Apr 2006, 19:15
hI,
I recently went to an assesment day and interview, and thought that the atmosphere was great and the staff were so friendly and made you feel at ease.
This morning I received a letter telling me I had been successful and I'm now on a waiting list for a training course
I havent started work for the company as yet so can't give you an insight into what they are like to work for, but if the company are as friendly as they were at the assesment and interview then I'm looking forward to working for them out of Heathrow soon.
Pay is ok for junior Cabin Crew, basic if out of London is approx £12,575 plus flight allowance, but dont qoute me as I'm trying to remember from what they said last week.
Good luck,
Crewboy:)

6chimes
15th Apr 2006, 19:53
Hi,

I work for them and what they are like to work for depends on wether you have flown before and who for. Right now I would not bother with them.

The crew are amongst the best in the business and there is a great team atmosphere. Keep your head down and away from the management and you will be fine. If you transgress the smallest of rules you will not be spared.

ruthie
16th Apr 2006, 19:57
I agree with the above poster, I too work for bmi at an 'outstation' I love it and will have to be carried out in a box, the crew are fab even if you have never worked with them before, I love them all (well most of them) but play by the book and keep your head down and you will be fine.

crewboy
16th Apr 2006, 21:30
Thanks for the advice,
Sounds great, but am getting freaked out about keeping your head down because of the powers that be:bored: . Hee...
Crewboy:ok:

ruthie
17th Apr 2006, 07:08
Don't worry, they are not that scary, I have been there 8 years and have only had my wrist slapped once, but that's all it is a wrist slap and you get sent on your merry way!!

EZYJET2006
21st Apr 2006, 19:22
Hello,

Just wanted to know that between sending the cover letter and cv off how long it would be for a response and if you get through the interview when the starting time is likely to be.

Cheers

xana
21st Apr 2006, 19:59
Hello,

Just wanted to know that between sending the cover letter and cv off how long it would be for a response and if you get through the interview when the starting time is likely to be.

Cheers

hello!
i don't know about the CV conventions specifically that each company has, but from what I have learnt, here is some advice. Try not to make your CV longer than one A4 side, and at most 2 sides. i know it doesn't sound much, but just pluck out the best things to put down, because recruiters won't want to be ploughing through hundreds of 5-pg CVs (i reckon). For the covering letter, aim to write one page too, tops, but don't feel the need to fill up the page, just go to the point!
good luck!

-----------EDIT:
lololol sorrrrry i didn't realise what you were asking in your question, hence the random answer! lolol sorry anyway... good luck!

ruthie
22nd Apr 2006, 10:18
Sorry I'm not sure how long it takes to get an interview, but I heard once you are through it doesn't take long to get on a course at Stockley Close.
Ruthie

EZYJET2006
23rd Apr 2006, 10:41
So has anyone got any idea on what the interview is like?

The training? is it a good airline to work for? And what are my chances as im 18 and never had cabin crew experience before?

cheers

EZYJET2006
16th May 2006, 16:52
HEY there everyone,

sent my cv and covering letter off about the 20th April and just received an application form this morning saying they are recruiting short haul. They did not put a return date on the letter, do you think there is a time limit (well obviously there is but u no what i mean). I wont be able to start training etc till end of july dya reckon it will work out all okay?

cheers, much appreciate all advice and help

EZYJET2006
16th May 2006, 18:42
anyone gna answer please lol

QRCC2B
16th May 2006, 19:46
I thought about tossing in an application to BMI and they ask for a covering letter along with CV. What exactly should be included in a covering letter? Never been any good at those letters...

QRCC2B

bmibaby.com
16th May 2006, 19:59
There isn't one airline in the world that is perfect or has absolutely ideal conditions for cabin crew, and a lot of members of this website choose to attack the down sides of a particular airline, and in some cases make them a lot worse than they seem. It's an excellent community to vent & to learn a bit about the industry, but everything has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

bmi has it's difficulties, and at the moment is going through a bit of a rough patch in testing out new ideas & product "enhancements" which isn't going down too well with the crews. Now it seems the company is like working for any other no-frills outfit, however you can progress onto more senior positions or longhaul fairly quickly if all is to be believed that mainline has an extremely high turn over of staff. Longhaul is only going to grow at bmi, with the airline regularly looking for new destinations from LHR and lobbying for open-skies between the UK & US. Any longhaul expansion will of course depend on management pulling their finger out and getting us some more planes, but it will happen in the forseeable future.

I can't speak for conditions as I don't work for bmi but bmibaby, but I can tell you it's definately worth giving it a shot. If you don't like it after a year, having a respected carrier like bmi on a resumé will look pretty good if you wanted to go for BA or any other major carrier. I started with what was then called British Midland Commuter, and have always liked the idea of working for a smaller airline, but having instilled into you a sense of pride for your company & providing an old-fashioned style of excellent customer service, I think evident in the high training & uniform standards that we have.

Once our brand has been sorted, I think bmi has incredible potential for expansion, it's just a shame management don't always make the best decisions, but as stated that's the same as at any company.

Flying Fairy
17th May 2006, 18:29
Just a couple of questions if anyone has answers!!!
Does BMI recruit for long haul or do you have to go through short haul first? If so how long do you usually have to do this? Do they do night stops on short haul? What is the take home wage usually like? Thanks!!!

Crew Use Only
20th May 2006, 00:13
You won't get L/H straight away - it's advertised internally normally (when vacancies arise) and I think this is also specified on the website?
Don't think there is a minimum period of time you got to serve on short haul before you can apply.
I personally also think it is frightening how quickly new entrants get promoted to senior crew positions at bmi on S/H at LHR...
As far as I am aware they only night stop AMS and BFS now on S/H, and that coupled with the four sector days I know the crew do (friends work for them) would be a concern to me. Sorry to sound negative.
I can catagorically say the crew there are amazing and the best in the business - pity bmi do not recognise that very often (same with many airlines I suppose) as far as I understand crew morale is not very high at present.