PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Caravan time-building

maudlin
15th Apr 2006, 15:56
If for some strange reason, you specifically wanted to build time on the 'van, which company would you fly for? Slingair? Hinterland? Anyone else?

ContactMeNow
15th Apr 2006, 22:34
Try any large Skydiving outfit?

aero979
15th Apr 2006, 23:29
what sort of hours do you have - Aboriginal Airservices you should try, but prepare to be based in and out of hooker creek - heaps of hours though.

the wizard of auz
15th Apr 2006, 23:46
Aye,dat ooka creek place, he orite aye. :} Even the nurses look after there, aint that right aero 979? :}
hows that cold country going bloke?

JetABro
16th Apr 2006, 00:41
sorry kids but hooker creeks taken.
;)

the wizard of auz
16th Apr 2006, 01:11
And from my short stay there............... your welcome to it. :eek:
Gotta love that tug though. :}

maudlin
16th Apr 2006, 02:27
what sort of hours do you have - Aboriginal Airservices you should try, but prepare to be based in and out of hooker creek - heaps of hours though.

Don't have any hours on one yet, I'd just like some. I've got a few thousand hours on choppers...Been in and out of aboriginal communities for 4 years and there's worse places to be (although haven't been to Hooker Ck... certainly has a certain charming ring to it, though :E ).

Thanks for the tips. Had forgotten about jumping ops, not a bad lead. Cheers all.

tinpis
16th Apr 2006, 04:49
.Been in and out of aboriginal communities for 4 years and there's worse places to be

Where exactly? :uhoh:

Aerodynamisist
16th Apr 2006, 05:56
Maudlin there was skydiveing mob in Cairns advertising for 208 drivers recently, can't recall the full details though, might be worth a try.

ContactMeNow
16th Apr 2006, 07:26
Maudlin there was skydiveing mob in Cairns advertising for 208 drivers recently, can't recall the full details though, might be worth a try.

Skydive Cairns,

They are always looking for drivers, Think the advert went like this:

Jump pilot required, 800TT min, skydiving exp prefered, award wage (neg).

Worth a look, but am told by several skydivers that they do go through their drivers up there.

the wizard of auz
16th Apr 2006, 08:40
Not sure if its the same mob, but one of the CNS based jump operators were advertising for drivers and when I rang up they informed me I would have to pay for the endo, and then get this bit, I would be bonded for 12 (could have been 6) Mnths. Bonded for what I couldn't figure. the money wasn't that flash either, so I said no thanks and left it at that.

Woomera
16th Apr 2006, 10:32
There's now 50 C208 in Australia. You have wide choice!

Sunny Woomera

P.S. Just testing to see if the children are awake!

the wizard of auz
16th Apr 2006, 10:56
:} :} A wide WHAT????? :} :}

topdrop
16th Apr 2006, 12:06
Rhymes with noice :ok:

maudlin
16th Apr 2006, 13:10
Oh you boise aren't being noise... ;)

Thanks Woomera, I'll look up the CASA aircraft rego page and, CMN, I'll check up with Skydive Cairns. Cheers.

ContactMeNow
16th Apr 2006, 13:45
Not sure if its the same mob, but one of the CNS based jump operators were advertising for drivers and when I rang up they informed me I would have to pay for the endo, and then get this bit, I would be bonded for 12 (could have been 6) Mnths. Bonded for what I couldn't figure. the money wasn't that flash either, so I said no thanks and left it at that.

Confirms what I said, they have problems holding onto pilots, so they try to bond you. Also knew about the endorsement (kinda guess that was a given)

What hours do they give?

no worries maudlin let us know how it goes!

CNM:ok:

WannaBeBiggles
16th Apr 2006, 22:54
There is a Cairns based operator (name escapes me at the moment), that have the Nth QLD mail run contract and they run Caravans, might be worthwhile checking them out ;)

B767MAD
16th Apr 2006, 23:07
Mob I heard about in QLD had you paying for endo and then icus at a set rate an hour in a pvt op. , with a small retainer I think if I remember correctly.

Hinterland - what are they looking at for exp for 208 drivers?

Mr.Buzzy
17th Apr 2006, 00:36
Does anyone know how many punters you can have on board during a private flight?

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zac21
17th Apr 2006, 03:18
Mr. Buzzy, you sure are persistent !!!

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
17th Apr 2006, 05:19
Last time i looked at Sky Dive Cairns's aeroplanes, one was green and the other was white, they looked suspiciously like Cresco's though ?.

http://www.aerospace.co.nz/ouraircra.../multirole.htm

nick murry
17th Apr 2006, 07:00
What about sending a cv to New Zealand.
SP-IFR into short strips.
The C208A Loves it!!!!

neville_nobody
17th Apr 2006, 09:54
If you don't have 500 ME command don't even consider flying a C208 for hour building it is a waste of time. The C208 is an awesome aeroplane for the owner with airliner like comfort (but not the speed!!) , rarely breaking down and they are great to fly in IMC as they are stable and they all have good avionics. However IT WILL NEVER GET YOU A JOB ANYWHERE INCLUDING the RFDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Operators want to tick the boxes and the van will never do that no matter where or how you fly it. I have unfortunately learnt that the very hard way and have had many arguments with operators whose standard repsonse is "yet that's great but it's not twin" So if you want to fly something that cruises above 10 000 feet for a career then go find yourself a twin job, don't even bother with a Caravan. It is an absolutley ridiculous situation however it is reality in Australia!!

757manipulator
17th Apr 2006, 10:01
I have unfortunately learnt that the very hard way and have had many arguments with operators whose standard repsonse is "yet that's great but it's not twin" So if you want to fly something that cruises above 10 000 feet for a career then go find yourself a twin job, don't even bother with a Caravan. It is an absolutley ridiculous situation however it is reality in Australia!!

Anywhere else in the known world this would sound ridiculous.....hmmm aussie GA still stuck in the early 20th century:hmm:

turbantime
17th Apr 2006, 10:59
aussie GA still stuck in the early 20th century

Not only GA unfortunately, this extends to regionals and the domestics too.

It's a sad situation for people like neville as, in the case of people I know, there are guys/gals that have done exactly the same job as me but on the van and will never get a look in so far as regional etc gigs go until they get some twin time up. It's only then that the turbine time will be seen as advantegous.

757manipulator
17th Apr 2006, 11:19
Well in times gone by I flew the Caravan on 3 different continents, Aus, Africa, and Europe, in only one of those places would this experience be considered "inferior"...(Aus):hmm:
I even saw a laughable requirement by the RFDS not so long ago for Min 500hrs twin time for PC-12 pilots! so its not just regionals who are stuck in a time warp.
Oddly enough (but not odd really) for those considering flying the Caravan to build some hours, you will have no trouble what so ever converting onto a turbine twin, sure there are a couple of considerations to think about regading single engine handling...but other than using a rudder pedal (which you need plenty of when flying the Van) its really no big deal at all.
Finally..just for all your die-hard 500hrs minimum twin time knuckle heads...I transitioned from the Van to an A320 in 3 weeks, it was easier than letting the chief pilots tyres down:E :ok:

Ultralights
17th Apr 2006, 11:57
i hear there is someone in bankstown with a "van that might hire it to cover some maintainence costs imposed on him by CASA! :}

QNH1013.2
18th Apr 2006, 00:45
6, unless you pay for the whole aircraft yourself.

ContactMeNow
18th Apr 2006, 03:11
Or unless its PJE, the 'van can carry up to 16 off memory.

kalavo
18th Apr 2006, 08:47
Only two caravan skydive operators in Australia (although one looks after multiple drop zones).

The one on the west coast is currently using an ex-Airline pilot with a few thousand hours and looks to be set for the next few years.

You don't want anything to do with the one on the east coast if you want to be a professional pilot.

hair of the dogma
18th Apr 2006, 09:00
Fancy saying stay away from the east coast caravan operator, shame on you, a lovlier man you wont find.

hahahahahahaha

Did give a few blokes a start though, even if he is a miserable ba**ard.

ContactMeNow
18th Apr 2006, 09:36
Only two caravan skydive operators in Australia (although one looks after multiple drop zones).

The one on the west coast is currently using an ex-Airline pilot with a few thousand hours and looks to be set for the next few years.

You don't want anything to do with the one on the east coast if you want to be a professional pilot.

Im fairly sure the following DZs use 'Vans:

Nagambie
Byron Bay
Ramblers
Skydive Cairns
CaloundraBut then again I maybe wrong....

Contract Con
18th Apr 2006, 09:53
Gday,

The C208 is a beautiful aeroplane. I only wish I flew as many hours in it as I did in 20-30 year old piston twins:ugh:

As for the "east coast operator", I know several professional pilots that started out there, myself included. All now flying heavy or medium jets with various operators in AUS and O/S.

Remember, aviation careers are what you make of them:ok:

Cheers,

Con:ok:

kalavo
18th Apr 2006, 13:20
Nagambie - XL-750
Byron Bay - Now MOS (Cresco)
Ramblers - Caravan
Skydive Cairns - Cresco
Caloundra - Caravan, same operator as Ramblers

flz
18th Apr 2006, 13:24
If for some strange reason, you specifically wanted to build time on the 'van, which company would you fly for? Slingair? Hinterland? Anyone else?

Try Tropic Air Belize, Central America. When I was flying there it was 2000US per month to fly as co pilot with them, you can build up to 100hrs a month.

neville_nobody
19th Apr 2006, 01:11
If you really want to fly a van try and get into Aboriginal Air, Hinterland, Aero Tropics or JetCrft as they will be operating them as RPT/ Regular Charter. This type on flying will be alot better for your skill base than VFR dodgey bros parachute operations. Great fun flying a van in bad IFR too as you have good instruments plus radar and everything is duplicated or triplicated except for the engine!! :mad: :mad:

maudlin
19th Apr 2006, 01:48
Flz, Belize is the big parachute centre of the world isn't it? Sounds great except...CO-pilot van time?? :uhoh:

Neville, the CNS operators would be ideal, but I might need some actual F/W command time before I try the RPT operators! Right now, I've only got R/W command. My thought was to do the 40 odd hours it takes to convert to CPL(A), sit the exam then find the fastest route to flying vans.

It's not the turbine time I'm after (I've already got twin turbine time on R/W) and I'm not shooting for airlines per se, just wanted some van time for another very interesting job that I'd heard about...overseas...although now that you mention airlines it might be quite conducive to my dreams of retiring to the Whitsundays, sitting under a palm tree and drinking Pina Coladas...:}

Contract Con, do you really believe that aviation careers are what you make of them? Some of the best and most ambitious pilots I know who have ticked all the prerequisite boxes have been applying to Qantas and Virgin for years without so much as a sniff from Human Resources. I tend to think their failure to make good is not for lack of iniative but lack of opportunity. What would you make of that? :(

Contract Con
19th Apr 2006, 03:36
Gday Maudlin,

Yes I agree that opportunity or lack there of certainly makes a difference.

My comment was in regard to another poster remarking that if one wanted to be a professional pilot then to stay away from "the east coast operator".

I too have mates in the situation you speak of, and have felt a similar fate myself at times. However, you yourself as an experienced R/W pilot would know that sometimes you must create the opportunities. R/W is an even harder field of play than F/W.

Too many guys sit around waiting for it all to be handed to them. This business is too hard and too competitive to WAIT for it all to happen. You have to be in COMMAND of your career and the choices you make. It wont just happen for you.

Maudlin, you are making it happen, changing paths etc. Good luck to you with the fixed wing endeavors. You will love the C208:ok:

Cheers,

Con

HarveyGee
19th Apr 2006, 07:03
Kalavo

Just to set the record straight - the Byron Bay (Tyagarah) skydive machine is a Caravan - MOS disappeared months ago

Harvey

captain_cranky
19th Apr 2006, 08:13
The Cairns operators are definitely the way to go for the real thing and value for money in training.:ok:
One operator provides a real life ditching and swim to a real tropical island for you and the other provides a real life overshoot and arrestor cable experience. No expense spared.:E

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
19th Apr 2006, 09:39
Captain Cranky, you b1tch :).

J0N0
19th Apr 2006, 09:58
"My thought was to do the 40 odd hours it takes to convert to CPL(A), sit the exam then find the fastest route to flying vans."

Hmm yeah thats a few $$$ your gonna outlay there, be best to find the fastest way into vans BEFORE you outlay to be sure your prepared to make the effort!!

"...although now that you mention airlines it might be quite conducive to my dreams of retiring to the Whitsundays, sitting under a palm tree and drinking Pina Coladas...:} "

Yeah what a great dream but remember you are still gonna need that twin time for an airline.
I do recall a pilot being hired in Hinterland who had a RW background with twin RW experience......apparently that was good enough as far as the insurance company was concerned.......
Certainly be worth a call/visit to them to see if they would do that again, I think they do struggle to find Van drivers with experience though so would appreciate you rocking up with an endo!! Dunno for sure but expect Troppos would only put there more senior (guys who have done time on the rock) drivers on the Van with a CS base??
Dont wanna put you off by any means but if you want the time for that interesting job overseas the whole hour building exercise could be quite time consuming!!
Anyway just food for thought, all the very best with it!!!

ContactMeNow
19th Apr 2006, 14:05
Kalavo

Just to set the record straight - the Byron Bay (Tyagarah) skydive machine is a Caravan - MOS disappeared months ago

Harvey

Beat me to it, think you will find VH-MOS is now at Kooralbyn (according to ASM). Byron 'Van is still pumping out the tandems to FL140

Nagambie - XL-750
Byron Bay - Now MOS (Cresco)
Ramblers - Caravan
Skydive Cairns - Cresco
Caloundra - Caravan, same operator as Ramblers

Before I opened my mouth I should of done my research into it. After looking at the lastest ASM (Australian Skydiver Mag) what you say is correct.

Just looking over the add posted AGAIN in the latest APF newsletter:

Wanted Cresco Pilot for busy NQLD skydive operation

Flying both turbine and piper navajo aircraft, Endorsement available to right applicant. Salary starting at $27k or more for exp pilot. Room to move towards CP of our operation 800hrs PIC min IFR rating, 75hrs twin time. Navajo endorsement, PJE an advantage, but not essential fo position

Contact John (that name does ring a bell from QLD, wonder if he paid around $10k for an endorsement, or should I say "right job offer" :hmm: )

Gives contact details, blah blah blah

757manipulator
19th Apr 2006, 20:31
Contract Con, do you really believe that aviation careers are what you make of them? Some of the best and most ambitious pilots I know who have ticked all the prerequisite boxes have been applying to Qantas and Virgin for years without so much as a sniff from Human Resources. I tend to think their failure to make good is not for lack of unitive but lack of opportunity. What would you make of that?
Just to wade in here..:} ...Con is spot on in my opinion, I am living proof of it is what you make of it, 3 continents, about 7 jobs, and I don't know how many nights spent in tents, cars, dodgy hotels, B & B's you name it I've stayed there. Not to mention malaria, being shot at, and having a knife pulled on me!
So Maudlin, when I read comments like yours I know exactly where your coming from, the only thing is anyone can do it....if they work hard enough for it. (I am a DECIDEDLY average aviator, yet through hard work and determination I am approaching a command check with a UK legacy carrier)

LUCKY-1
19th Apr 2006, 23:59
Captain Cranky, You kill me! (can't stop laughing)! The arrestor overshoot was a new one. Hmmm.... Townsville?

Cheers

captain_cranky
21st Apr 2006, 11:22
:confused: ........Caloundra?

CAREFACTOR 0
23rd Apr 2006, 01:53
sorry kids but hooker creeks taken.
;)

JetABro, whats your source, Hooker Creek is far from taken just ask the guy currently working there hes a friend of mine. The word is if any of you guys or gals have 1000 TT and 50 hrs or more night and 150 planed IFR and a desire to get some turbine time then call Aboriginal Air Services asap. It would help if you have C208 endorsement already but if not I hear they'll do one for you. According to my source, its not a bad gig, just no hookers like the name suggests, but a heap of C208 time approx 20ish hours a week, you do the sums, helps to be single or have a partner who's a school teacher or a nurse. You will also need to obtain a licence to have alcohol in your quarters as its a dry community.:ok:

kalavo
23rd Apr 2006, 05:38
Beat me to it, think you will find VH-MOS is now at Kooralbyn (according to ASM). Byron 'Van is still pumping out the tandems to FL140

Think you'll find the Cresco is back at Byron. Kooralbyn couldnt afford to keep MOS, and Byron got fed up with the van dissappearing on busy days because the owner felt like it. So they bought the Cresco.

sailing
23rd Apr 2006, 11:55
How many pax in a Van for private ops.....22! Yes, out of Tyagarah a few years ago on skydiving ops.
The van came from Ramblers, I was one of the 'meat bombs', and when a crowd had piled in someone started counting heads and came up with 22 (Should have been pilot + 16 max). The owner of the van said "She'll be right" and, luckily, she was! Bit of a squeeze inside though!!!!!

Mr.Buzzy
23rd Apr 2006, 12:56
unfortunately these jokers come under the loose banner of GA....... So what ever happened to 6 people in a private flight?

Flight and duty times?....nah mate..."private ops"
A dozen people over water at night in "a van" ?..."cool mate..private ops"
Second class maintenance..... "cool mate...private ops"

methinks "private ops" needs a little more scrutiny!

bbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz

hair of the dogma
24th Apr 2006, 10:16
The van came from Ramblers, I was one of the 'meat bombs', and when a crowd had piled in someone started counting heads and came up with 22 (Should have been pilot + 16 max).

Strecthing the story a bit far aren't you Sailing, I've had the 18th skydiver get out of his own accord because it is too squashy. First I have heard of a van going with 22. Even if that counted pilot I cant believe it. 209 on the other hand.....

Mr Buzzy I could not agree more with you, and I have said it in this forum (after the crash in Jan), the skydiving game does need a little more regulation - from outside that is. But the 6 people in a private aircraft relates to cost sharing not how many you can legally put in an aircraft. For example if I want to fly from A - B I can put as many people in as I want as long as I am paying.

Mr.Buzzy
24th Apr 2006, 11:13
http://www.casa.gov.au/download/act_regs/1988.pdf

I must be reading page 31 ( Para 7A ) incorrectly. I see lots of "and" in these sentences.

So do skydiving schools take "22" punters for free? Or maybe they sell the jump and include the planeride for nothing?
If this is the case, maybe the airlines should be able to sell a t-shirt for 99 dollars and give you a ride to sydney for nothing, ( provided a timetable is not adhered to strictly )

Something that does come to light though.... Our rulebooks are getting worse!

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

sailing
24th Apr 2006, 12:31
Strecthing the story a bit far aren't you Sailing, I've had the 18th skydiver get out of his own accord because it is too squashy. First I have heard of a van going with 22. Even if that counted pilot I cant believe it. 209 on the other hand.....

I was in the right hand seat and had a pretty good view of the crowd in the back, there were 20 plus me+pilot. Low fuel light was flashing as we taxied, when i queried it the pilot said there was enough to get to 14,000 and back.:eek: I occasionally flew the 182 for them when the pilot was too drunk from the party the night before, but I gave it and the skydiving away because of the way things were run. There was a classic video from inside the 182, flown by a young ex RAAF cowboy, being barrel rolled in the climb with 6 pob (and pre restraint rules)!
I should point out that this was quite a few years ago and the dropzone has had a complete change of management and was being run well when I left over 2 years ago!
And yes, if only we'd had a 209T!

OCTA
25th Apr 2006, 07:38
Standard ops to have both lights flashing on t/o = about 400 lbs total FOB more than enough for one load (0.4)
And agree with Hair of the dogma you won't get 22 in a small van i've had 20 and they can't fit anymore.
Yes sometimes they are dodgy but so are everyone its up to the PIC to decided if its worth the risk. Stand up for yourself and the world will be a better place and if you don't like it shut up and walk!

sailing
25th Apr 2006, 09:11
Standard ops to have both lights flashing on t/o = about 400 lbs total FOB more than enough for one load (0.4)
And agree with Hair of the dogma you won't get 22 in a small van i've had 20 and they can't fit anymore.
Yes sometimes they are dodgy but so are everyone its up to the PIC to decided if its worth the risk. Stand up for yourself and the world will be a better place and if you don't like it shut up and walk! Ah, sorry if I've offended you, OCTA?
1. I stand corrected on the fuel situation.:ok:
2. I enjoyed the jump, I'm not complaining about anything, certainly not the PIC! When what was happening at the drop zone got out of my comfort zone I did walk (ie. quit jumping). Still used to enjoy flying the odd load in the 182, wasn't paid, never asked to be. Flew jumpers in my Tiger until I sold it.
3. That load was in the middle of a boogie, lots of hyped up jumpers having a good time just kept piling in. Only about 150 witnesses, bit of a talking point for a day or two, but maybe I'm just hallucinating.:ooh:

:):):):):):):):):):):):)

OCTA
26th Apr 2006, 07:07
Sailing the shut up and walk wasn't directed at you just at everyone who b*tchs at everything. Still don't think you'd get 22 in but I wasn't there so you could be right. Knowing the operator anything is possible.