PDA

View Full Version : MCC CRM

p1lot
15th Apr 2006, 15:47
Hi,

Could anyone outline the syllabus for a typical MCC course for me please? Also, is CRM a topic that is included in the MCC course or is it a separate course?

Any info appreciated,

Regards,
P1lot

no sponsor
15th Apr 2006, 18:43
MCC courses are seperate from CRM courses.

The basic CAA requirement is that you have classroom sessions with 20hrs in a simulator.

The MCC course I did consisted of briefings in the classroom with topics ranging from why crew cooperation is important to looking at several case studies of accidents (mostly controlled flight into terrain) and actual cockpit data recordings illustrating breakdowns in SOPs. We had lots of discussions too.

We then prepared ourselves for the sim part of the course. We had 20 hrs in the simulator, 4 hrs for each session, where the two of you swapped between pilot flying and non-pilot flying. The sessions built up to a finale where we flew a sector resulting in technical problems requiring a divert en-route. All the time we were practising following SOPs, discussing issues thrown at us and coming to an agreed resolution.

I found it one of the most useful courses I had taken during my flight training.

p1lot
15th Apr 2006, 21:39
Thanks for that no sponsor, very helpful.

Cheers
P1lot

FougaMagister
15th Apr 2006, 21:54
Hi - well, MOST of the MCC course is CRM-related! That's the whole point...

Cheers :cool:

BillieBob
15th Apr 2006, 22:15
Hi - well, in fact, most of a properly conducted MCC course is not CRM 'related' - that is the whole point, which many people (FougaMagister included, apparently) don't understand.

TRISTAR1
16th Apr 2006, 16:06
Once again there is mis information about a topic.

CRM plays a major role in approved MCC courses.

To operate in a multi crew enviroment you have to have good CRM skills, and as most people who are about to commence an MCC course have had no formal CRM training, then a good MCC course must give at least an introduction into CRM.

The MCC course runs over 8 days and must include 25 hours of theoretical (ground school) training and then 5 x 4 hour simulator sessions. The 25 hours is normaly broken down to 3 sessions of 7 hours in the classroom with the remaining hours used in pre flight briefing.

My advice to you is to look at the relevant JAR where everything is detailed.

BillieBob
16th Apr 2006, 17:03
My advice to you is to look at the relevant JAR where everything is detailed.....and where you will find that the only reference to CRM is in relation to the knowledge of the instructor. It is no accident that there is no mention of CRM anywhere in Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.261(d) or in AMC FCL 1,261(d) in relation to the content of the MCC course.

Whilst the boundaries between HP&L, MCC and CRM training are, necessarily, somewhat blurred, a clear understanding of the way that these courses are meant to dovetail and provide a logical progression to the multi-pilot flight deck is important. There are, without doubt, a number of MCC course providers who have misunderstood this important distinction and, as a result, are failing to provide the best structured preparation to their trainees.

As both a TRI, and a CRMI, I believe that I can attest to the fundamental difference in emphasis between the MCC course and the CRM course and the importance of not confusing the two.

TRISTAR1
16th Apr 2006, 18:10
Dear Billie Bob,

I think that you are missing the point.

Good multi crew co-operation must entail the use of good CRM skills.

As I said in my previous post, it must be understood that potential MCC candidates have no previous formal CRM training. Therefore a good MCC course must give some CRM.

Also in one of your posts you implied that a provider can not withold an MCC certificate. Again you are misinformed. If a candidate does not satisfy the course requirement, then we will not issue a certificate. To date this has not happened, but if a candidate turned up on a course and expected an automatic issue, he/she would be in for a suprise.

I am also a TRE/IRE CRMI and MCCI. The company that I work for also provide training for MCC instructors.

AMC FCL 1.261(d)

1. The objectives of MCC training are optimum decision-making, communication, division of tasks, use of checklists, mutual supervision, teamwork, and support throughout all phases of flight under normal, abnormal and emergency conditions. The training emphasizes the development of non-technical skills applicable to working in a multi crew environment.

2. The training should focus on teaching students the basics on the functioning of crewmembers as teams in a multi crew environment, not simply a collection of technically competent individuals. Furthermore the course should provide students with opportunities to practice the skills that are necessary to be effective team leaders and members. This requires training exercises, which include students as crewmembers in the PF and PNF roles.

3. Students should me made familiar with inter-personal interfaces and how to make the best use of crew co-operation techniques and their personal leadership styles in a way that fosters crew effectiveness. Students should be made aware that their behavior during normal circumstances can have a powerful impact on crew functioning during high workload and stressful situations.

Basic Multi-Crew Co-operation Course
5. The contents of the basic MCC course should cover theoretical knowledge training, practice and feedback in:

a Interfaces
- examples of software, hardware, environment and liveware mismatches in practice

b Leadership/followership and authority
- managerial and supervisory skills
- assertiveness
- barriers
- cultural influence
- PF and PNF roles
- Professionalism
- team responsibility
c Personality, attitude and motivation
- listening
- conflict resolution
- mediating
- critique (pre-flight analyses and planning, ongoing review, postflight)
- team building
d Effective and clear communication during flight
- listening
- feedback
- standard phraseologies
- assertiveness
- participation
e Crew co-ordination procedures
- flight techniques and cockpit procedures
- standard phraseologies
- discipline

Sorry for the long post, but I feel that it should be well understood.

scameron77
18th Apr 2006, 00:56
BillieBOb and Tristar.

Do you mind sharing (either on here or by PM) who you work for, which type of simulator they use and the cost?

Cheers

Stephen