PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with children

cod liver oil
15th Apr 2006, 01:38
Hello cabin crew,

My family and I (myself, my wife, my 4 year old daughter, and sixteen month old son) are planning to travel from Toronto to LHR (and return) in the near future.

I am looking for some input and would appreciate it if someone could provide some feedback on what I can do to keep my children entertained and, in the case of my son, pacified for two separate seven hour flights. I'm sure that in your field of work, you've witnessed many parents traveling with their children, and have seen what works and what doesn't.

I'm not so worried about my daughter. She has flown overseas before and without much difficulty. She'll be happy with her portable DVD player and some colouring books.

My son, however, has never flown before so I'm not so sure what to expect. He is at the stage where he can walk unassisted and is very inquisitive. I don't think he will want to sit still for the duration of these flights.
We might be lucky as our flight to the U.K. is an overnighter so perhaps he'll sleep for the most part. At least I'm hoping so (maybe a little gravol will help :zzz:).

So, aside from the obvious.....Making sure he's fed, hydrated, and has a dry bottom......any suggestions?

Beyond bringing a few small blocks for him, I'm stumped.

suggestions appreciated

cod

twiggs
15th Apr 2006, 04:38
Hey Cod,
I'm cabin crew and also a parent with 2 similar age young ones.
The best advice I would give is buy a seat for your son (even though he can go free on your lap). Don't rely on the flight being not full because having that extra seat for the young one will make all the difference on a full flight.
This also means you will have the option to bring along an approved car seat, which he may be more comfortable in and consequently he may sleep better (and more importantly he will be much safer).
I try to travel on a flight that leaves around his bedtime or a couple of hours earlier.
I usually try to board the aircraft towards the end of boarding, but this will depend on how organised you are. The reason for this is it lessens the time you have to keep them in one place (until take off).
Don't bring too many toys, just one or two of his favorites and a book or two that he likes, and delay giving them until they are bored with everything else that is already in front of them.

That's a start anyway,
Good luck.

lexxity
15th Apr 2006, 10:10
I don't think your son will fit in a bassinet comfortably, check with your airline though, but I would still request a bulkhead, if at all possible just so that your litle boy has a bit of space to play on the floor. I know that he should be strapped in, but try telling him that! :D

Be prepared for several laps of the cabin with him to keep him amused and don't give him all the toys you bring, just one at a time so you've something fun to distract him with. Most of all don't panic and worry because that'll wind your son up. You'll be fine I'm sure.

sukigirl
15th Apr 2006, 13:18
Hi Cod, in response to twiggs reply I would also check that the airline does allow you to bring on your own car seat. The airline i work for dosent allow it so there may also be others that dont. However they will have there own on board for you to use.
I agree with lex that he will probably be to big for a bassinet but try to get seated at a bulkhead. However dont be dissapointed if you dont get there because they give priority of those seats to disabled pax or small babys.
Hope you have a nice flight.

CD
15th Apr 2006, 16:25
Here are a couple of sites with some information and hints/tips as well:

Transport Canada - Travelling with children (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/commerce/CabinSafety/tips/tips5.htm#children)
Flying with Kids (http://www.flyingwithkids.com/)

Have a great flight!

lexxity
15th Apr 2006, 18:33
Going back to car seats, if your airline does allow them you will most likely need to be seated in a window, so make sure that the airline knows early about it, put it in your booking either yourself or via your agent. Your car seat will also need to be a five point harness.

cod liver oil
17th Apr 2006, 12:56
:)
Thanks all for the feedback.....especially CD....excellent link appreciated and now part of my faves.
cod