PDA

View Full Version : Travel sickness

Ethansa
14th Apr 2006, 17:42
My ambition is to become an airline pilot. Usually after an hour or so in the cockpit of a small aircraft, I begin to get dizzy spells and a slight sickly feeling. Will this wear off after a few more times spent in the air? My time spent in aircraft at present is irregular.

DX Wombat
15th Apr 2006, 17:22
Try taking some crystallised ginger with you and eat a piece when you start to feel queasy. It will probably also help if you allow some fresh air into the aircraft especially if you have been using the heater.

Old Smokey
16th Apr 2006, 00:30
Ethansa,

It's quite a common thing that I've observed with 'early' students during their flight training. In all cases it went away after the particular individual had adapted to flying. One of the worst sufferers that I knew went on to become a very proficient aerobatic pilot.

I don't know if DX Wombat's ginger works for you, but if it does then give it a try. Be careful to not use the commonly used 'air-sickness' medications usually prescribed for passengers, these can make you rather sleepy and somewhat detached from what's going on around you.

If the problem continues, see your GP and investigate the possibility of middle-ear infections etc., the symptoms that you describe happened to me without warning somewhere early in my own flying training, all of which was rectified after a course of treatment for the middle-ear infection that was causing the problem:ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey

Ethansa
16th Apr 2006, 10:06
Thanks to the replies so far,

The crystalised ginger is something that is new to me, so I shall indeed give it a try! I agree that the cold air fans are a problem for me, as they do seem to blow more hot air than cold, thus inducing the sickness!

An ear issue is something that I had thought about previous, as I figured it would be the 'semi circular canals' that play a part in the sickness (as I understand).

I will be seeing my GP in anycase to discuss the matter further. But its good to know that this is common among students at a simular stage of a flying career.

A great help!