PDA

View Full Version : Help - Any news on Aerolineas Argentinas shutdown.

Eastwest Loco
18th Jun 2001, 16:40
Hi all

If anyone can pass on details of the planned Aerolineas Argentinas shutdown I would appreciate details. I have a bunch of guys heading that way and am getting "Unable Nilops" returns on their booked flight. Apparently there is some major internal labour dispute occuring.

AR here is in a very nontalkative mood - as from last Friday QF cancelled their codeshare agreement on the SYDAKLEZE 744 and A340 serviceswith immediate effect - where the contract states 90 days notice.

Any info would be appreciated as this sounds very untidy.

Best regards

EWL

New info in - it seems to be an insolvency issue. Still scant info.

EWL

[This message has been edited by Eastwest Loco (edited 18 June 2001).]

moschops
18th Jun 2001, 17:55
Aerolineas unions in dispute over company restructuring by Spain's state holding group SEPI. The Spanish want to rebuild the company and provide capital but the unions are worried about job losses and have been striking. The result seems to be that the whole shebang is about to go down the Buenos.

newswatcher
18th Jun 2001, 17:56
Eastwest,

The largest shareholder, the Spanish company SEPI, said over the weekend that they could do no more to solve the situation, and that the airline have applied a deadline of Thursday(21/6) before "closing down".

By the way, isn't it a bit messy shipping all those "guts" around?!?!? Ho!Ho!
(For the benefit of the mystified, before his edit, Eastwest claimed he had a "bunch of guts heading that way"!! Seemed funny at the time.)

[This message has been edited by newswatcher (edited 18 June 2001).]

Eastwest Loco
18th Jun 2001, 18:06
Thanks moschops and news.

The whole thing is starting to take some shape.

I did edit news - gimme a break!!! *G*

Thanks again.

EWL