PDA

View Full Version : I'M TOOO SMALL

faiza
14th Apr 2006, 15:33
I WANNA BE A PILOT BUT THERE'S A Height limit of 5'2" and I'M QUITE FEW INCHES BELOW THAT!!!
WHAT DO I DO?

despegue
14th Apr 2006, 16:20
To my knowledge, JAA does not stipulate any height limit.
I know airline pilots who are about 1.60m and one of them flew as Captain on B747 with Sabena.
Maybe the UK CAA is more restrictive, in which case you just do your Class1 in another JAA country. Size doesn't matter!

Whirlybird
16th Apr 2006, 18:20
I've never heard of a height limit. I know a North Sea helicopter pilot who's well under that. And I'm just barely 5ft 2ins when I stand up straight, and no-one has ever said anything. Where did you hear this?

scruggs
16th Apr 2006, 18:38
I have seen these restrictions, usually between 5'x and 6'x. I think BA did it when I applied for their sponsorship course back in 2001. Below is from the current Direct Entry BA requirements:

"Height between 1.57m (5'2") and 1.91m (6'3") with weight in proportion to height (height is accurately determined during the assessment process). Qualified pilots who are taller than 1.91m may submit an application but will be required to undergo a functionality check to confirm their ability to meet the requirements of the seating"

Not sure about others.

Cipri
16th Apr 2006, 19:29
back in flligt school, I had a female instructor who was about 1,50. She took a cushion flying and had no other problems. Now she is flying 737 for an airline.

john_tullamarine
17th Apr 2006, 07:46
It is unfortunate for the extreme body shapes and sizes, but cockpits are designed to suit a nominated range of anthropometric percentiles ..

More a consideration in the military.

A couple of thoughts ...

Too big .. the ejection may just take off a few bits and pieces on the way out

Too small .. the aircrew member may not be able to reach a given control, switch whatever .. without some degree of contortion and that may have a tactical outcome.

In the civil world, size probably is not a concern provided that there is not a major mismatch of capability to environment in the specific cockpit ..

United B-777
17th Apr 2006, 15:58
Hi guys,
I know that Lufthansa Pilots have to be at least 1,65m (5'4")and not bigger than 1,95m (6'4").

Cheers

http://www.lufthansa-pilot.de/ (http://http://www.lufthansa-pilot.de/)

Gnirren
17th Apr 2006, 17:03
The requirement in general is just that you're tall enough to properly see outside and that you're able to use all controls the way they're supposed to be used I think. Of course any airline can have their own requirements too.

faiza
24th Apr 2006, 18:10
I've never heard of a height limit. I know a North Sea helicopter pilot who's well under that. And I'm just barely 5ft 2ins when I stand up straight, and no-one has ever said anything. Where did you hear this?

er...it's the average height restriction for commercial pilots.

faiza
24th Apr 2006, 18:11
Sounds pretty weak to me. Perhaps you could get in a time machine and eat more carrots when you were a kid?

yeah...I'll do that...do you know where I can get a time machine from?:hmm:

faiza
24th Apr 2006, 18:12
To my knowledge, JAA does not stipulate any height limit.
I know airline pilots who are about 1.60m and one of them flew as Captain on B747 with Sabena.
Maybe the UK CAA is more restrictive, in which case you just do your Class1 in another JAA country. Size doesn't matter!

I wish it didn't but apparently it does!:eek:

zedex7rrrrrrr
25th Apr 2006, 15:10
Sounds pretty weak to me. Perhaps you could get in a time machine and eat more carrots when you were a kid?

Nonsense. Carrots are for your eyesight. It's beans you need for height! :ok:

faiza
25th Apr 2006, 17:10

Yeah! I agree with you:D

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Apr 2006, 07:55
I wish it didn't but apparently it does!

Where................?

faiza
26th Apr 2006, 16:04
I had read it in a career's advice book for commercial pilots.

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Apr 2006, 16:54
Maybe for some aviation authorities and probably the military, but certainly not for the FAA and as fas as I know not for the CAA (UK) either.

faiza
27th Apr 2006, 18:49
whats the FAA and CAA?

Whirlybird
27th Apr 2006, 20:54
faiza,

CAA - Civil Aviation Authority
FAA - American equivalent, can't remember what it stands for.

I don't know what book you've been reading, but it's wrong. There's no blanket height restriction for pilots. Individual airlines may have their own restrictions, but that's all. As everyone else has been telling you. So if you want to be a pilot, find an airline without restrictions. Doesn't sound impossible to me.

Hawk
27th Apr 2006, 21:28
Interesting post John Tullamarine, it makes sense from a military point of view. Easy pilot has quoted the BA requirements. There may be ppruners out there that know other airline's requirements.

Whirlybird.. FAA stands for Federal Aviation Administration. :hmm:

faiza
28th Apr 2006, 12:48
faiza,
CAA - Civil Aviation Authority
FAA - American equivalent, can't remember what it stands for.
I don't know what book you've been reading, but it's wrong. There's no blanket height restriction for pilots. Individual airlines may have their own restrictions, but that's all. As everyone else has been telling you. So if you want to be a pilot, find an airline without restrictions. Doesn't sound impossible to me.

which airline would want me as a pilot? i'm barely 5'- im the same size as i was in year seven!

Oh that's super!
28th Apr 2006, 13:28
To me, it's more of an ergonomics issue rather than regulatory requirements. I don't believe that there is any regulatory bar on obtaining a licence (or a medical) due to height, but you may have a problem reaching controls or to perform to a suitable standard due to being unable to reach things easily enough.

Whirlybird
28th Apr 2006, 17:58
faiza,

I don't know which airlines would want you, but why don't you check and see. I'm 5ft 2ins, and although I've not tried to join the airlines, I've never found it a problem for flying anything I've tried...inconvenient, yes; needing cushions now and then and so on, but not a real problem. As I said (I think), I know a North Sea helicopter pilot who's the same height as you, and she's been there for years.

I get the impression you're trying to use your height as an excuse. If you don't want to fly, then don't. But I can't believe your height is going to prevent you, if you really want to do it.

gas-chamber
30th Apr 2006, 02:08
Somewher a long time ago I saw a paper which indicated that civil airliner cockpits are designed to accommodate a range, from about 5ft2ins to 6ft4ins.
If that is the case, I suppose an airline would be within its rights to restrict all pilot candidates to that range. Also the same paper made mention of aircraft (I think Dash 8) being modified to accomodate smaller pilots so that they could sell into the Asian market.

White Knight
30th Apr 2006, 02:51
Several guys here at Emirates around the 2m (6'7") mark - no problem:cool: Also a few real shorties too. If you can reach everything you need to then the "requirements" that the airlines come up with are laughable:{

Whirlybird
30th Apr 2006, 09:16
Also the same paper made mention of aircraft (I think Dash 8) being modified to accomodate smaller pilots so that they could sell into the Asian market.

Interesting point. Way back in the days when you could get jump seat rides, I managed to get invited up to the pointy end of the aircraft when on a trip to China. I think all four of the Chinese pilots were shorter than me, and as I've said, I'm 5ft 2ins. They seemed to manage alright!

757operator
30th Apr 2006, 18:55
Although I'm 5ft 9 I have problems with short arms and have difficulty reaching a Boeing gear lever from the left seat. Once I snagged a 757 harness because I couldn't get anywhere near the gear lever and they wrote "harness checked fully serviceable, arms too short"!

faiza
4th May 2006, 12:53
Oh my gosh- that really funny!
:D

faiza
4th May 2006, 13:02
faiza,
I don't know which airlines would want you, but why don't you check and see. I'm 5ft 2ins, and although I've not tried to join the airlines, I've never found it a problem for flying anything I've tried...inconvenient, yes; needing cushions now and then and so on, but not a real problem. As I said (I think), I know a North Sea helicopter pilot who's the same height as you, and she's been there for years.
I get the impression you're trying to use your height as an excuse. If you don't want to fly, then don't. But I can't believe your height is going to prevent you, if you really want to do it.

I'm not using it as an excuse- flying is something I have always wanted to do since the age of six and I don't want my height to get in the way of my dreams and dissapoint me- I'm scared of being turned down for my height, sounds freaky I know.

Oh that's super!
4th May 2006, 14:09
Have you actually tried flying in something like a Cessna 172 or a Bonanza?
Try it out and see if you can function OK. Airliners tend to be a bit more adjustable than light aircraft, but if you have a major problem, then at least you'll know that there may be a problem with your reach/strength etc.

I know of a slight female who couldn't pass a 737 type rating because she couldn't do the manual reversion because no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't exert enough strength to do it properly.

I also know of a slight female (just over 5'4", but very slight) who had major problems with some light aircraft with heavy controls and/or high combing (she had no trouble with reaching the pedals, but she couldn't see out without cushions, and once raised with cushions too much, it caused her a lot of ergonomic problems), although she didn't have any problem with a number of aircraft.

Whirlybird
4th May 2006, 18:57
The C172 is a lousy suggestion, if you don't mind my saying so! At 5ft 2ins, I have real problems with all but the most modern C172s. I need a cushion both behind me and to sit on, and it's uncomfortable and they tend to slip. The new C172s have seats which adjust up and down, and they're fine, but I refuse to fly the older ones. But the majority of light aircraft are fine.

However, small doesn't necessarily mean weak. I've rarely found anything I can't do because strength is required, in aviation or outside (though these days I have weak wrist problems, but that's recent). When I was younger, I was so strong it used to scare people - I used to lug 100lb sacks around and think nothing of it. I may have looked little and sweet, but......

So everyone's different. And faiza, if you want to fly that much, you'll find a way, somewhere, somehow, on some aircraft. :ok:

faiza
5th May 2006, 19:45
that exactly my point- in the future I'll have issues just like you have some problems and there's nothing I can do about it :(

I already fly at a flying club, its great but I have to wait like a few months until I can fly solo though.

you must have looked like a muscly cute kid :=

FLCH
5th May 2006, 21:39
I'm a whole 5'5" yet I can fly a 757 or 767 easily, what is funny is that when I land I have to have the seat all the way down and forward.....a throwback to flying a C-172/ C-150 no doubt, on the Cessna the seat was all the way forward and had to have a snob (nose up) attitude to land the damn thing Nowdays I have to find a long straightaways to hike the seat up on a 7576 to park the bloody thing though.....

faiza
6th May 2006, 11:50
whats more important longer legs or long body and arms for a pilot?

faiza
6th May 2006, 11:54
Have you actually tried flying in something like a Cessna 172 or a Bonanza?

The cessana is ok- I fly it at flying school, I dont have many problems with that.

flash8
6th May 2006, 12:07
Saw an Easy FO at EDI last year, he seriously looked to me under 5'.
Sorry, it looked slightly surreal, and for a moment I just stared... rather rude I know. He was like a walking Midget (can I use that word?).

So, must be possible. Saying that, in my five years or so flying, I'd say other than the odd girly I haven't seen any guy under 5'2 or even 5'2, can't be that many!

cheers

faiza
7th May 2006, 14:32
wow- he must be a man with determination

MercenaryAli
7th May 2006, 19:50
Take a job in films!

Johnny F@rt Pants
8th May 2006, 13:53

There's only one department beans ever helped me in!!!!!!!!:}

fmgc
8th May 2006, 14:52
Used to go out with a girl who was under 5'1" and I believe that she is now in the RHS of a BA 777.

scruggs
9th May 2006, 12:57
Used to go out with a girl who was under 5'1" and I believe that she is now in the RHS of a BA 777.

On BA's website, they stipulate a height range between 1.57m (5'2") and 1.91m (6'3").

faiza
19th May 2006, 20:54
Take a job in films!

I'm not a complete midget!:*

faiza
19th May 2006, 20:55
On BA's website, they stipulate a height range between 1.57m (5'2") and 1.91m (6'3").

That's exactly what I was talking about.:)

faiza
19th May 2006, 20:58
and you didn't have any issues going out with a girl under 5'1"?

fmgc
19th May 2006, 21:40

Shouldn't need to say anymore than City Flyer.