PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Go?

Paracab
13th Apr 2006, 20:59
Looking to spend about 5 days away in early September with the missus to celebrate my birthday.

Suggestions so far include New York or Vegas which seem a little far for a short break, or, possibly some sunshine in Dubai (budget is about 1000-1200 for both of us).

Any reasonable/sensible suggestion welcomed, but hey, this is JetBlast afterall!

The location would have to stock an obscene amount of Scotch, obviously.

colmac747
13th Apr 2006, 21:09
obscene amount of Scotch

Jockistan of course!:p

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Apr 2006, 21:12
Benguerra Island.

Saintsman
13th Apr 2006, 21:12
If you wanted to go later in Sept you've got to give the Munich Beer Festival (Oktoberfest) a go.

Everyone should do it at least once in their lifetime.

apron
13th Apr 2006, 22:24
leicester is good that time of year:)

Noah Zark.
13th Apr 2006, 23:16
Got to agree with Mike Jenvey. New York it is. We've been four times. ( That's not a boast, and I'm not wealthy. I've had to work my tush off to afford to go each time.)
But it's a great place. Saving hard for another go.
I'm sure Aerbabe will endorse it, too. She was lucky enough to go by Concorde just before it stopped flying. (:{ :{ :yuk:
If you do go, research it well on the web. This will save you lots of time when you get there, you need to hit the ground running.
Also, if you do go, by all means P.M. me if you like, i've got quite a few websites that are very helpful with up-to-minute opening times, prices etc.
Go for it!

BlueWolf
14th Apr 2006, 02:26
Scott Base.

Different, far away, just becoming pleasant at that time of year, and oodles of sponsor's product.

Give it a whirl!

brickhistory
14th Apr 2006, 03:29
Sedona, AZ. Most beautiful spot in the world (IMHO, of course!)

Little Blue
14th Apr 2006, 06:50
Hey, APRON?
Leicester? Is that cos Melbourne won't let you in?
Derby is where its at !!

acbus1
14th Apr 2006, 06:59
Not Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam, then? :rolleyes:

tilewood
14th Apr 2006, 08:16
Canvey Island:

The palm trees, azure sea, the friendly natives.
The micro-climate warmed by the burn-off from the oil refineries.

The friendly natives, the famous coughing birds, the litter free
charm of the local town centre, the friendly natives.

The crime free culture. Park your hire car, and when you return
you will find that the locals are so concerned for your welfare
they have removed all the wheels.

The seafood delicacies, jellied eels, the whelk stalls and the local
fish and chips.

Oh yes and the friendly natives!! :rolleyes:

acbus1
14th Apr 2006, 09:13
Reminds me of the Essex girl, tilewood.

Snogging her boyfriend on the back seat of his car.

Getting really steamed up.

She asks him to kiss her somewhere warm, wet and smelly.

He says it's far too late to drive all the way to Canvey Island. ;)

AnEviltwinEr
14th Apr 2006, 09:19
Spain? France? or maybe Italia?

vapilot2004
14th Apr 2006, 09:23
New York is always great - but Vegas is tops - plus, you might win money and find yourself in Lake Tahoe (or maybe Tahiti) - :) Not sure of the exchange rate in the UAE, but if it's favorable, Dubai might be my choice too !

May I suggest the Florida Keys, Miami Beach - or the Caribbean. Very nice weather in September - other than the odd early-season hurricane. The absolute best place I've known in the US is central California - Monterey - San Fran - Wine Country. People there are awesome and so is the scenery.

Wherever you decide Paracab, here's to all your flights being on-time, your accommodations truly lovely and your choice of bars being well-stocked with both good liquor and clientele.

Cheers :\

Smeagol
14th Apr 2006, 10:31
As you have considered Dubai, why not try Abu Dhabi?

Same distance, similar weather, good shopping but much more compact for a short trip and the traffic is not (quite) as bad.

Probably get good deals at the Beach Rotana, Hilton or similar.

A good intro to the Gulf!

cavortingcheetah
14th Apr 2006, 10:42
:p

You might try The Old Cataract at Aswan. One of the most beautiful hotels in Egypt and certainly one of the finest views available of any hotel in the world.
This is not an advertisement! Further details can be furnished upon request.:cool:

Ozzy
14th Apr 2006, 14:24
I just got back from 4 days in Vegas. What a playland that town is. It is a 24 hour a day non stop experience. There are great shows to see as well, Cirque du Soliel, and a bunch of others.

Ozzy

green granite
14th Apr 2006, 16:42
Reids hotel, Madeira, a truly magic place to while away a few days

1DC
14th Apr 2006, 17:19
You should manage to get a room in Cleethorpes in September.....

Paris Dakar
14th Apr 2006, 20:21
Come to Newcastle!

Great city, great night life and you'll have a great time.

Stop in the new Hilton hotel on the 'Gateshead' side of the Tyne and you'll get wonderful views of Newcastle city.

It's not all 'flat cap and whippets' now........................well not very much anyway ;)