PDA

View Full Version : Bint sues for 90,000

perusal
13th Apr 2006, 16:06
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4906816.stm

It's not for the money, honest :confused:

airship
13th Apr 2006, 16:09
Lots of metal in trollies too, but they don't set the alarms off...?! :confused:

AerBabe
13th Apr 2006, 16:10
Perhaps it's the wrong kind of metal?

I've got a fair amount of surgical steel in my body ... never had a problem with it.

djk
13th Apr 2006, 16:11
my car door opener always sets of the security alarms near shop doors.
Perhaps I should sue the car company :rolleyes:

bar fly
13th Apr 2006, 16:22
Oh yeah that ol' chestnut! 'I've got metal in my legs'. :{

Bloody thief

Jerricho
13th Apr 2006, 16:22
Hmmmmm.

Some asshat once tried to physically stop me from leaving a sports shop when my mobile phone set off the alarm (as happened when I walked in, and does occur in a few stores). The alarm sent off, I stopped, turned around and went back in to shop to show the thug that had started following me that it was the phone (I stood there and waved the phone in front of the sensors and it went off). The guy then asked to see my phone, which I held up for him to see. He tried to take it from my hand........which wasn't appreciated. I showed him again and set off the alarm. He then actually placed his hand on my shoulder trying to grab it and asked did I have anything on me that I hadn't paid for. I think it was at that point he had realised he had made a huge mistake, especially given some of the very carefully chosen words I had for him, delivered in front of the now gathering crowd and his manager.

I now go back to the shop on a regular basis out of sheer badness. :E Same guy still works there. I take great pleasure in announcing what is going to happen when I walk in

"BE WARNED! THIS ALARM WILL GO OFF BECAUSE OF MY PHONE! I DON'T EXPECT TO BE STRIP SEARCHED ON THE WAY OUT" at the top of my voice normally does the trick.

Krystal n chips
13th Apr 2006, 16:28
My nipple rings never have that effect on alarms :hmm: :p :E

strafer
13th Apr 2006, 16:50
My Prince Albert does.

It was the XXL though.

con-pilot
13th Apr 2006, 16:57
I have a few bits of metal in my left leg around the ankle. There is one piece that is about 4 inches long on the left (outside) side of my left ankle. With the older style metal detectors, if turned up to the highest setting, that would set off the alarm.

The newer detectors do not have that problem, however, when picked for 'special' handling with a hand wand that will sound the alarm. After I explain and show the scar there is no problem, usually.:suspect:

airship
13th Apr 2006, 17:23
Does silicone set detectors off? Or do they just look like 'bombs'?! Supermarkets are a good place for detecting birds too...uhmmm :O

colmac747
13th Apr 2006, 17:50
The sad thing is this bint will probably get the 90,000.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Apr 2006, 19:23
Don't think titanium has any effect on the metal detectors. Aren't they more attuned to ferrous metals?

tilewood
13th Apr 2006, 22:48
Prince Albert anyone? ;)

Howard Hughes
14th Apr 2006, 08:24
I reckon she is right the hotel does have a duty of care, not to put lights in the car park, but to stop her getting so bloody drunk before she goes home....;) hic

BlueWolf
14th Apr 2006, 10:16
You went into a Sorts Shop Jerri? And you admit it? :confused: :E

scruggs
14th Apr 2006, 10:33
I dunno what its like in other countries, but here in the UK, claiming seems to be the new trend! I work in Birmingham, and you can't walk through the city centre without some :mad: asking "have you had an accident in the last 5 years".

All this "no win, no fee" crap - how easy is that?! Potentially, you've got nothing to lose.

As for the bint, I think she should be ashamed. If not for the money, then why? What will she get from it? She could have all the money in the world - but she'll still have a metal leg. :*

My favourite the morbidly obese crowd suing fast food chains because their products made them fat :}

Jerricho
14th Apr 2006, 13:35
I was all out of it Bluey.

djk
14th Apr 2006, 14:10
I dunno what its like in other countries, but here in the UK, claiming seems to be the new trend! I work in Birmingham, and you can't walk through the city centre without some :mad: asking "have you had an accident in the last 5 years".
All this "no win, no fee" crap - how easy is that?! Potentially, you've got nothing to lose.
As for the bint, I think she should be ashamed. If not for the money, then why? What will she get from it? She could have all the money in the world - but she'll still have a metal leg. :*
My favourite the morbidly obese crowd suing fast food chains because their products made them fat :}

you mean like that kid in New York that was about 300lb because he ate from McDonald's 3 times a day because his mum was "too busy" to bother to make a packed lunch for him?

scruggs
14th Apr 2006, 14:59
djk, EXACTLY like that. I remember watching a TV show about that. I mean, you've got a burger the size of a coffee table, which is full of fat - and they're surprised when they put on a stone or 10. And 3 times a day....need I say more. OK, perhaps as a kid, the blame falls more with his mother than him. But if he's got money for Maccy's, he's got money for more healthy options too.

Bottom line, I think people who claim for things like this should be ashamed of themselves. It’s a world away from genuine people who claim. People for example who have accidents caused by no fault of their own, but may end up unable to work to earn a living. I know somebody in the latter situation personally, and he relies on his claim money to hire carers to care for him etc. These are the people who I personally believe deserve the money.

Sorry for the rant, its just something I personally feel quite strongly about.

djk
14th Apr 2006, 15:23
djk, EXACTLY like that. I remember watching a TV show about that. I mean, you've got a burger the size of a coffee table, which is full of fat - and they're surprised when they put on a stone or 10. And 3 times a day....need I say more. OK, perhaps as a kid, the blame falls more with his mother than him. But if he's got money for Maccy's, he's got money for more healthy options too.
Bottom line, I think people who claim for things like this should be ashamed of themselves. Its a world away from genuine people who claim. People for example who have accidents caused by no fault of their own, but may end up unable to work to earn a living. I know somebody in the latter situation personally, and he relies on his claim money to hire carers to care for him etc. These are the people who I personally believe deserve the money.
Sorry for the rant, its just something I personally feel quite strongly about.

Have you ever seen the documentary "Supersize Me"?
If you're not already infuriated with fast food chains, this will really get your blood boiling.
There are plans in the pipeline at the moment to phase out the supersize meals from fast food chains. I believe in the UK they will be removing the toys that children get with Happy Meals to steer them towards healthier eating and I also believe that here in the US by about 2008/9 they will be bringing into effect a new law stating that cartoon characters cannot be used to promote breakfast cereals which are generally high in sugar content. I don't have the full details to hand.

C130 Techie
14th Apr 2006, 15:53
easyPilot

Totally agree. A work colleague was involved in a road accident before Christmas and badly injured due to someone elses stupidity. In my opinion he and his family are unlikely to be adequately compensated for the pain, disruption and emotional stress that they have gone through.

People like the woman who is the subject of this thread are greedy freeloaders and the system plays into their hands. Oxygen thieves!!!