PDA

View Full Version : "Fate is the Hunter"

PGA
13th Apr 2006, 13:12
Is that the title of the book I`m currently looking for? could be...I tried Waterstones today they said they sold their last copy 4 years ago and didn`t have it in stock anymore. Just did a search on Amazon and Bol but both don`t come up with the title. Does anybody know the exact title of the book, the Author or maybe the ISBN number. Yes foolishly enough I didn`t bother asking when I was at Waterstones, thinking google would help me, but it didnt :)

pulse1
13th Apr 2006, 13:18
Are you sure that you're not looking for "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K Gann. One of the classic aviation stories IMHO. Actually its about time I read it again.

barit1
14th Apr 2006, 18:09
Another of Gann's books, "Band of Brothers", is also a great read. Although the plot is fictional, some elements are historical.

pigboat
15th Apr 2006, 00:51
Also by Gann, "The Island In The Sky" and "The High And The Mighty." Both titles are out of print, but I've heard they may be re-released. If not, both may be available on e-Bay. Be prepared to shell out big bucks though.

PaperTiger
15th Apr 2006, 01:18
Also by Gann, "The Island In The Sky" and "The High And The Mighty." Both titles are out of print, but I've heard they may be re-released. If not, both may be available on e-Bay. Be prepared to shell out big bucks though.Both recently released on DVD ^ Steer clear of the "Fate is the Hunter" movie though - Gann disassociated himself from it and it bears little resemblance to his book.

JDK
15th Apr 2006, 02:39
I think you'd joined it to 'Faith is a Windsock' ;)

Also a very good read.

Saab Dastard
15th Apr 2006, 11:28
Gann's autobiography, A Hostage to Fortune, is a cracking read!

I found all of his aviation books (eventually) via ebay and abebooks. I don't recall paying big bucks - although some came from the USA! ;)

SD

Taff Missed
15th Apr 2006, 13:41
PGA,

"Fate is the Hunter", ISBN 0-671-63603-0, £9.95 through Amazon about 5 years ago.

Taff

SPIT
19th Apr 2006, 16:58
As of today I have JUST seen it on AMAZON.:confused: :confused:

Dan Winterland
19th Apr 2006, 17:24
Band of Brothers was based on the crash of Civil Air Transport's (CAT) 727 on approach to Taipei in the early 60s. The real accident is detailed in 'China Pilot' by Felix Smith. It records his career of over 20 years with CAT flying for Clare Chennault, the founder of the Flying Tigers. CAT operated C46s and C47s for the Chinese Nationalists during the late 40's, flights for the USAF during the Korean war, it flew for the French in Vietnam and the CIA all over Southeast Asia. It holds the record for being the most shot at airline and eventually became Air America.

It's a great read and i thoroughly recommend it. Felix Smith is also a rare breed - a pilot who can write! The book was edited by Ernest Gann.

Agaricus bisporus
19th Apr 2006, 18:16
Civil Air Transport's (CAT)...holds the record for being the most shot at airline

Civil? Airline? Shot at?

Why not?

DaveW
19th Apr 2006, 21:13
I'd be shocked if 'Fate...' is out of print - it is THE aviation Classic.

Mod comment: Sorry Dave, posting a direct link to the site named after a Brazilian river is advertising and against the rules.

[Edit] Oops, sorry Mods. I'll rephrase: it is definitely still available with virtually no wait and one doesn't need to look too hard. ;-)

barit1
20th Apr 2006, 01:38
Band of Brothers was based on the crash of Civil Air Transport's (CAT) 727 on approach to Taipei in the early 60s...

My curiousity was piqued, so I dug up this report. (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19680216-1&lang=en)
Like you I guessed early 60's, but it turns out to be late 60's.

Great story though!

youngskywalker
20th Apr 2006, 09:26
I ordered 'fate is the hunter' from Waterstones about 3 months ago, arrived within a week!

RiskyRossco
26th Apr 2006, 22:23
Trawled through the 'shelves' for my copy of 'Island in the Sky'. It's the 1954 hard-cover Hodder and Stoughton with original dust jacket.
Also Found my hard-cover of 'Fate is the Hunter', 1961.

Out of interest, who knows if the following are available online?

The Face of Victory. - Leonard Cheshire VC 1961
Ace With One Eye, the story of Mick Mannock. - Frederick Oughton and Cdr, Vernon Smyth. 1963
The Lost Command, - Alistair Revie. ( Introduction by Leonard Cheshire VC.) 1971.

All but 'Island' are ex-library sales and have plastic-covered dust jackets. Pre-ISBN catalogue hard-covers.

Apologies for the thread drift but, since there's a definite demand for E.K. Gann, I would be interested to know if anybody is keen to take any off my hands for cost of postage. Let me know with PM. Cheers.

Centaurus
28th Apr 2006, 08:30
Re Band of Brothers. A wonderfully written story. I operated into Taipei -Sun Shang airport in the mid Seventies and GM the offending NDB was still there.
If I recall correctly there was a line in the book where the author suggested you should always give a big smile when having your ID security card photo taken - the theory being officials would relax more when looking at the ID on your uniform. I can vouche for that. On numerous occasions going through Taipai and Hong Kong, Customs and Immigration serious faces would turn to a smile and wave me through while fellow crew members were invariably subject to normal unsmiling suspicious scrutiny. My ID showed a big beaming smile and I guess it must have worked..

renfrew
29th Apr 2006, 14:49
Fate is the Hunter is required reading for anyone at all interested in air transport.The author flew with American,then across the North and South Atlantic during the war.
E bay has plenty of copies listed.