PDA

View Full Version : Atrial Septal Defect

waxytudes
13th Apr 2006, 09:44
A recent visit to the cardiologist to have my Incomplete RBBB (right bundle branch block) checked out (given the all clear) also revealed a possible Atrial Septal Defect - basically a small hole in the septum dividing my two atria. The Doc who did the echocardiogram said if it's there at all it's very small, and the cardiologist said that he is not in the least concerned about it - if it was ever going to cause me any problems it would have done so by now. If it does indeed turn out to be there after another test does anyone know whether this will affect my Class 1 chances? I've tried searching this thread and looking at CAA website but can't find anything relating specifically to atrial septal defect.

Has anyone else been affected by this? Any info re the class 1 would be really appreciated.

Cheers guys

Waxy

BelfastChild
30th Apr 2006, 12:10
The definitive test is the 'bubble test' where air bubbles are infused into the blood stream and an echo is performed to see if any bubbles leak across the atrial septum. But this test is invasive and sounds as though it is totally unnecessary in your case. I wouldn't be too worried about it - up to 30% of the normal population have some degree of ASD