PDA

View Full Version : FAA to implement a JAA style Frozen ATP?

scameron77
13th Apr 2006, 09:22
I heard something lately and was wondering if anyone can shed some light.

I currently have a CPL/ME/IR (all FAA) I am in the position of converting them to JAA qualifications. Of course, in the JAA we don't have to sit a skills test in addition to the CPL/ME/IR, thought it may be worthwhile to add for the PPRuNe novices.

The US ATP written test can be sat at any time but the written exam is only valid for 24 months. The check-ride can only be attempted when the applicant has 1500 hours (there are further requirements here but I forget).

Recently I heard someone mention the FAA are going to implement a similar situation to the JAA countries where the ATP checkride can be taken, but is frozen until the hours requirement is satisfied. Can anyone advise please as to if this is the case, when its valid from and what criteria have to be met?

At the moment I don't mind paying out to sit the exam, I feel confident I'll attain the required additional 1,200 hours I'll need in the next 2 years (fingers crossed) but the additional cost of getting back to the US, booking an examiner, etc. when I'm out here and could possibly do it now is attractive if possible.

BillieBob
13th Apr 2006, 10:29
Recently I heard someone mention the FAA are going to implement a similar situation to the JAA countries where the ATP checkride can be taken, but is frozen until the hours requirement is satisfied.That is not the situation in the JAA - In the UK, at least, the ATPL Skill Test cannot be taken until all of the other requirements for issue of the ATPL have been met (LASORS G1.4 refers)

scameron77
13th Apr 2006, 10:41
I wasn't aware that any JAA state had a requirement for an additional skills-test after you sat your CPL/IR/ME, unlike the US where there is an ATP check-ride.

I'm guessing you are talking about the 500 hours Multi Crew Multi Engine thingy?

BillieBob
13th Apr 2006, 13:59
No, I'm referring to the ATPL Skill Test described in JAR-FCL 1.295 which, while it may be combined with the skill test or proficiency check for a multi-pilot aeroplane type rating, must be flown "....with a degree of competency appropriate to the privileges granted to the holder of an ATPL(A)".

scameron77
18th Apr 2006, 00:58
Right,

So does anyone know if you can sit your FAA ATP check-ride before 1,500 hours based on the information/conjecture in my first post?

B200Drvr
18th Apr 2006, 17:07
No you cant