PDA

View Full Version : helmets

davidatter708
12th Apr 2006, 17:18
This is a bit random but im a ga pilot and was wondering where i could get a RAF flying helmet from and conecters for GA sockets thanks guys
dave

ratty1
12th Apr 2006, 17:27
Any particular reason why you would want to fly a cessna wearing a helmet?

BluntM8
12th Apr 2006, 17:28
Dave,

Mart Aviation are one of the many companies that sell ex-raf helmets but you'll need deep pockets, they cost about £400 or more! You occasionally see them on ebay too, for similar money.

You can get the adapter for them at most pilot shops. I know for a fact that Transair sells them.

Just a point to note, Tornado helmets use different connections to the other types, and you can't get adaptors (as far as I know.)

If you're buying to use in an aerobatic aircraft then I'd recommend a later Mk 10 type helmet, as the Mk 4 is a little heavier and you can hurt your neck if you're not used to the load.

Hope this helps.

Blunty

airborne_artist
12th Apr 2006, 17:29
Is it possible you have been watching too many Will Young videos? I think there may be a y missing from word 9 of your post.

rafloo
12th Apr 2006, 18:04
Not quite sure why anyone would willingly want to wear an RAF Helmet....but you can try your local Army & Navy store...they generally have them for around £200. Or, go for the best and opt for a Gentex with ANR.... good lids and relatively cheap

The Rocket
12th Apr 2006, 18:22
Stunning AA,

Absolutely stunning. Still giggling as I write this:ok:

Dogfish
12th Apr 2006, 18:23
With the amount of aircraft that the RAF have ''parked'' in the North sea over the years Dogger Bank might be worth a look.:D Failing that you could try E-Bay, you see all kinds of stuff on there. :ok:

frodo_monkey
12th Apr 2006, 20:18
Can't help but agree with a_a and The Rocket! :}

But as an aside, there are gizzas to connect a Mk10 to a regular socket (I used one in a Hawk last year), though **** knows where you'd get one - eBay probably...

You WILL still look a bit of a mong flying a Cessna in a bone-dome though! By any chance do you know the words to 'Highway To The Danger Zone'?! :E

(edited for speeling)

foormort
12th Apr 2006, 20:42
Fodo
I hope your intercepts have improved, no doubt you are doing grand!!! hello from the states

Jackonicko
12th Apr 2006, 20:51
I'd like one to wear on the toilet, and on the bus, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to get an adaptor for my iPod......

CBA_caption
12th Apr 2006, 21:15
Had to fly back civvy domestic in the states after dropping off a few of the countries finest rust buckets and carried helmets in hand luggage. Apparently the sight of 4 helmetted(sp?), dark visored and masked up blokes on the back row of the plane did not sit well with the increasingly worried pax!

and we thought we'd be bound to bag a hostie or two.

ratty1
12th Apr 2006, 21:32
and we thought we'd be bound to bag a hostie or two.

Crashed and burned! Huh, Mav? :hmm:

hobie
12th Apr 2006, 21:33
pop along to ebay.co.uk and input RAF flying helmet and you will find at least 25 live items ranging from WW2 to more modern versions ....

davidatter708
13th Apr 2006, 13:11
thanks aa and no i didnt miss the y out if ur interested in guys i can give u some contacts like urself :E
its for aerobatics not a cessna im not stupid

Cessna 210 Heavy
13th Apr 2006, 13:43
I have a MK10 which I used in the Tornado and also in the Extra 300L. They are much lighter than the MK4, so better for aeros or if you have to eject.

I also have a converter to change the single NATO plug to the twin civilian plugs.

If you want to make me an offer then I am all ears, but it would have to be more than Mart are charging, as its to the latest mod state and come with mask and adaptor.

Regards

C210H

Pontius Navigator
13th Apr 2006, 15:34
Not for David but other wanabees, there is nothing to beat the old Mark 1 for a bit of S&M.

Docs swore by it, tough as old boots, much stronger than Mk 2, why, look at this one cracked open after a motorbike crash.

Took bl**dy years to convince them that we carried the Mark 1 helmet and wore the Mark 2 one; not least because the Mark 2 had the electric string.

Have the modern ones got over the asymetric earphone 'problem' of the mark 2?

ratty1
13th Apr 2006, 16:13
thanks aa and no i didnt miss the y out if ur interested in guys i can give u some contacts like urself :E
its for aerobatics not a cessna im not stupid

What are you going to be doing Aerobatics in?

wub
13th Apr 2006, 17:08
His helmet

The Rocket
13th Apr 2006, 18:04
In the crisp clear air

airborne_artist
13th Apr 2006, 18:51
Having first ensured that his helmet was well-polished

ratty1
13th Apr 2006, 18:56
Having first ensured that his helmet was well-polished
>>>Look here<<< (http://www.bikenet.com/order.asp?Page=/helmets/helmets.asp&section=1&subsection=25&Price=0&Start=1&Keyword=&SearchDescription=&Zone=&product=1740)

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
13th Apr 2006, 19:15
Ratty;

How on earth did you perchance upon that little product then???:p

More LAter;
'J' Bloke!!!

airborne_artist
13th Apr 2006, 19:22
>>>>result #1 here <<<< (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=helmet+polish&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) :ok:

Dauphineer
16th Apr 2006, 11:07
Somewhere in this thread a chap was after a suggestion for a Mil spec Helmet:

The Mark 10 they are referring to is an Alpha 200 series, now replaced by an Alpha Eagle, available with every connector known to man.

Headset services, Shoreham Airport sell them, and seem to know what leads are needed. Ask for Mark Panton, he will help.

Avoid the Military Mk 4 series, the current in service FJ / Rotary Helmet; it weighs twice as much as the Mk 10 /Alpha 200 and is designed to be nuclear proof or something like that! Hitting the ground unplanned at around 200 knots is going to hurt whatever you are wearing.

L J R
16th Apr 2006, 18:30
Jackonicko, an Ipod adaptor is really a simple fix. A little more complex is the mod to have said Ipod music piped back to to the Nav as well. (utilising Hot Mike functionality without all the heavy breathing.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
16th Apr 2006, 22:43
Isn't the whole point of having the heavier Mk4 to provide protection when you crash - whilst still in the aircraft? Yes, Mk10's are lighter so better for ejection and the subsequent 'landing' below silk but AREN'T used on anything where you are expected to arrive first at the scene of the accident.
So surely a MK10 in a civvy aeroplane without bang seat just becomes a really big and heavy mic/tel holder?