PDA

View Full Version : Dead Pools

djk
12th Apr 2006, 17:35
I was just wondering if many Prooners participate in dead pools.
The game is based on the Clint Eastwood movie of the same name where you select 10 celebrities / well known people, that you predict will die over the course of the next year.

Or am I the only one with a morbid interest in this.

My choices for this year are currently

1. Tony Banks (Lord Stratford)
2. Ronnie Biggs
3. Baroness Margaret Thatcher
4. Milton Friedman
5. Ernest Gallo
6. Ian Brady
7. Joseph Barbera
8. Oscar Peterson
9. Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
10. Sir Norman Wisdom

Also if you had a chance, which 10 people would you choose?

Whirlygig
12th Apr 2006, 17:44
If you compiled this list at the very beginning of January, then you have one right! Tony Banks died 8th Jan 2006. The others had better check their life insurance!

Cheers

Whirls

djk
12th Apr 2006, 17:47
If you compiled this list at the very beginning of January, then you have one right! Tony Banks died 8th Jan 2006. The others had better check their life insurance!

Cheers

Whirls

Whirls,

Yes, Tony Banks was my "one in the eye" pick for all those that chose Ariel Sharon as their #1 choice. Within the rules of the game, if your #1 choice is the first to die out of everyone you get a bonus point. :)

Ozzy
12th Apr 2006, 17:48
Yeah, I run one with 12 other participants (13, nice:ok: ). This is our third year. I've won one, lost one. We use a formula, 110 - <age at death> and the person with the most points at the end of the year wins.

Here's my list for this year.

Billy Graham
Kirk Douglas
Maggie Thatcher
Nelson Mandela
Walter Cronkite
Elizabeth Taylor
Karl Malden
Ronnie Biggs
Harold Pinter
Lou Rawls - got him

Ozzy

djk
12th Apr 2006, 17:52
Yeah, I run one with 12 other participants (13, nice:ok: ). This is our third year. I've won one, lost one. We use a formula, 110 - <age at death> and the person with the most points at the end of the year wins.
Here's my list for this year.
Billy Graham
Kirk Douglas
Maggie Thatcher
Nelson Mandela
Walter Cronkite
Elizabeth Taylor
Karl Malden
Ronnie Biggs
Harold Pinter
Lou Rawls - got him
Ozzy

Ozzy,

Some good choices there. Biggs is somewhat of a malingerer (sp?) though. Pinter currently had throat cancer.

I'm only gutted that 3 people that I dropped from my final list have died
Jack Wild - artful dodger in the movie "Oliver!" and also star of H.R. Pufnstuf
Valter Heuer - Estonian Chess Grandmaster
John Profumo - Former Minister for War under Harold MacMillan's cabinet

and I've just heard that Billy Preston is gravely ill :{ another one I missed off my list:{ :{

frostbite
12th Apr 2006, 18:22
"nuff said"

No it's not! Prescott.

(where did the post quoted go, then?)

jayteeto
12th Apr 2006, 18:27
We call it the 'Stiffy Stakes' and it really is in bad taste....... But!! One way to spice it up is to add people with dangerous jobs, F1 drivers, news reporters, famous people with motorbikes. Oh, you must have a Royal and a politician. If you really want bad taste, then bring in potential HIV catchers and drug users like Docherty. No mention of Muhammed Ali or Pele either??

colmac747
12th Apr 2006, 18:29
Can't think of many at the moment, but Saddam for me. Either by hunger strike, heart attack or other!

:}

B Fraser
12th Apr 2006, 19:04
First of all, the dodo died
Then Dodi died
Then Di died

Dido is crapping herself :}

My money is on Sir Patrick Moore shuffling off on 2006. A splendid chap but he's knocking on a bit.

I don't expect Thatcher will oblige and cause a public holiday :yuk:

djk
12th Apr 2006, 19:09
First of all, the dodo died
Then Dodi died
Then Di died
Dido is crapping herself :}
My money is on Sir Patrick Moore shuffling off on 2006. A splendid chap but he's knocking on a bit.
I don't expect Thatcher will oblige and cause a public holiday :yuk:

Sir Patrick Moore is getting on a bit, but following the fitting of a pacemaker just last month, he seems to have renewed vigour and what with the 50th anniversary of "The Sky at Night" I have a feeling he has a couple more years left in him.

Maggie Thatcher looked quite drawn at the funeral for John Profumo, but at Caspar Weinberger's funeral she was striding away at the end of it as if she didn't have anything wrong with her

Saintsman
12th Apr 2006, 19:29
In Clint's film wasn't he chasing someone who was deliberately bumping off people on the list.....:}

Rick Storm
12th Apr 2006, 19:30
Colmac747
How right you are sir, "Or other" Sadam was originally (charges) put on trial for the gassing of the Curds, now other charges are being brought to the court. I think the powers that be are dragging the whole prosecution/slow it down, in the hope that Sadam 'pops his clogs' before judgment.

The US don't want this guy to hang in his home country. Scenario..Worst than now.

RC

Loose rivets
12th Apr 2006, 20:42
http://dpsinfo.com/dps/

:zzz:

tall and tasty
12th Apr 2006, 20:47
Sir Patrick Moore is getting on a bit, but following the fitting of a pacemaker just last month, he seems to have renewed vigour and what with the 50th anniversary of "The Sky at Night" I have a feeling he has a couple more years left in him. I hope not in the immediate future, I met him at EGKK and he was a lovely man, he was with Rod Hull and Emu going on a flight and the two of them were so funny together.

But saying that Rod has gone along with Mr Barker and a few other funny comdedians in the last year, so i would not want to put the hex on anyone by naming them except for a certain person who I will not name

TnT

colmac747
12th Apr 2006, 20:49
Not long watched Lord Owen (ex Secretary of Defence) on Sky News and debating about the Iran situation. Excellent bit of viewing it was too.

Anyway, i forsee him going soon!

Jeez, wasn't that many years ago he was in his prime..scary:ooh:

ex_matelot
12th Apr 2006, 21:23
Gonna go out on a limb here...

Prince Philip
A cast member of Coronation St
Kate Moss
Jaqqi(sp) Stallone
Norman Kember (We will be bound to hear whenever it happens anyway)
Ken Bigley's mother.

B Fraser
12th Apr 2006, 21:44
Indeed, I hope Sir Patrick hangs on in there however it's mostly the great and the good that cash in their chips. Also, isn't it strange how it's the best 50% of a team that snuff it first ? For example, Morcambe and Wise, the Two Ronnies, Pete & Dud and even the Beatles :confused: We still have two Attenboroughs and the form book is not looking good.

Is it too late to nominate Dennis Healey ? I always liked him ..... if not his politics.

What are the odds of "Her Madge" pegging out at 80 ? She looks as if she's firing on all cylinders but you never know.

One of the Rolling Stones ? Barry Humphries ? Michael Winner ?

ex_matelot
12th Apr 2006, 21:48
Longevity runs in her Maj's family-I give her another decade at least!

djk
12th Apr 2006, 22:00
In Clint's film wasn't he chasing someone who was deliberately bumping off people on the list.....:}

Indeed he was, however these days that's an instant disqualification :)

Capt.KAOS
12th Apr 2006, 22:06
Boris Jeltsin
Paris Hilton
Andy Fordham
Nelson Mandela
Liz Taylor
Gerald Ford
Zsa Zsa Gabor
Whitney Houston
Osama bin-Laden
Rudy Carell
and my mother I'm afraid :(

ex_matelot
12th Apr 2006, 22:10
Delete one of those KAOS,you would not want to see it in a years time if it turns out that way I should imagine:)

tilewood
12th Apr 2006, 23:32
Cliff Richard
Tony Benn
The Duke of Edinburgh
Basil Brush
Jimmy Saville (Sir, OBE) Mind you he has looked embalmed for years!
All the sports pundits, especially football!
Michael (Tarzan) Hezeltine
Michael Caine
Ian Paisley (Snr)

And so many more I may not live long enough to list them! :rolleyes:

angels
13th Apr 2006, 08:05
I've got Ian Brady in our dealing room Dead Pool.

He's been on hunger strike for years but the beggers keep him alive by force feeding him.

For readers who are unaware, in the 60s Brady and his henchwoman tortured and abused kiddies before killing them and burying them on a bleak moor in Lancashire. At least one of the bodies has yet to be found. His henchwoman, Myra Hindley has died and was in many a dead pool.

Our dead pool doesn't feature 'nice' people. From memory, Ropbert Mugabe, Kim Jong Il, Osama bin Laden and Saddam are also in the pool.

djk
13th Apr 2006, 11:43
I've got Ian Brady in our dealing room Dead Pool.
He's been on hunger strike for years but the beggers keep him alive by force feeding him.
For readers who are unaware, in the 60s Brady and his henchwoman tortured and abused kiddies before killing them and burying them on a bleak moor in Lancashire. At least one of the bodies has yet to be found. His henchwoman, Myra Hindley has died and was in many a dead pool.
Our dead pool doesn't feature 'nice' people. From memory, Ropbert Mugabe, Kim Jong Il, Osama bin Laden and Saddam are also in the pool.

Brady was given "weeks to live" by doctors at Ashworth high security hospital as he'd lost approximately 40lbs and his liver and kidneys were allegedly failing. That was a year ago and he's still alive despite his 4th year on hunger strike and being fed via a feeding tube :*

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Apr 2006, 13:15
Perhaps they should feed him anally using suppositories. I understand prickly pears are rather wholesome...

colmac747
13th Apr 2006, 13:36
Nelson Mandela
Kofi Annan
Desmond Tutu
Sir Bobby Robson
The "new" Pope
Chaz and Dave
Rolf Harris
Sir Trevor McDonald
Steve Irwin (tragically)
Zarqawi (hopefully)