PDA

View Full Version : Ann Frank Post.

forget
12th Apr 2006, 15:50
Looks like the PC brigade has won again. Where will it all end.:suspect: :suspect:

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2006, 15:55
[QUOTE]# The board's owner does not wish to provide bandwith for people to indulge in Israel bashing. That is his prerogative. Respect it.[/QUOTE'

djk
12th Apr 2006, 16:03
Such a shame that it started to stoop to that level. I found it to be a humorous thread to begin with and then progressed into pointless ranting.

wingman863
12th Apr 2006, 16:11
What exactly happened?

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2006, 16:17
# Zero tolerance on racism. Racist remarks will get an otherwise worthwhile post moderated or deleted. One man's joke is another man's racism; decision rests with the moderators and the board's owners.
# Personal attacks on others are not allowed. To be mortally insulting without getting personal is a artform. Acquire the skill. If you can not counter an argument without attacking the person, then do not post here. Play the ball, not the player!
# If you are attacked by someone, use the 'report to moderator' function and the post will be looked at by the Mods. Do not revenge like with like.
# Ignore trolls. If you feed the troll you are just as guilty.
# Aviation is an international endeavour par exellence; bigotry has no place on this bulletin board. If venting intolerant gut feelings is your thing, go do it somewhere else.
# Do not highjack other people's threads by endlessly introducing your private fetishes, hang-ups and pet-obsessions. Go see a shrink instead.
# The board's owner does not wish to provide bandwith for people to indulge in Israel bashing. That is his prerogative. Respect it.
# Do not post endless newspaper articles (copyright issues) or links to publications on the net. Moderators are obliged to read it all. Really Really Boring And Totally Pointless Snippets Of Information belong in the TRRBATPSOIT thread and nowhere else!
# We'd prefer you not to discuss politics & religion. Two subjects that almost inevitably seem to lead to some people losing the plot completely

djk
12th Apr 2006, 16:18
What exactly happened?

I missed the "Israel bashing" bit. It started off as a humorous thread with a picture of a diary and every entry had "hid" written under each date.
Many people found it to be amusing, but there were a couple that seemed offended by that.
How it went downhill from there, I have no idea.

BenThere
12th Apr 2006, 16:23
I thought it might have been my fault after I posted something about Mohammed with a bomb on his head. I never try to post over the line, but sometimes try to go to the edge.

After the thread was shut down, it occurred to me that the mod doing it was trying to protect Pprune from legal trouble or worse, violence. Such is the state of fear we live in today, I suppose.

We're in a fight for our freedom of speech everywhere, including on this forum. Sometimes people are willing to engage it, sometimes they aren't.

We may need an update of ROEs. Or at least it would be nice if when a mod shuts down a thread, a post as to why he/she did so to enable us to figure out what the true limits are and where we erred.

acbus1
12th Apr 2006, 16:34
I think the target of the humour was clear. An ingenious joke, that's all. Nothing to do with race or religion.

Stop the world, it's time to get off. :(

They're welcome to it.

wingman863
12th Apr 2006, 16:35
I agree that when a thread is removed or shut down. a reason should be given. Its just common sense due to the fact that if people know what is likely to be removed, they won't be as likely to post it in future.

I've seen the picture mentioned. It was pretty funny. Its just a pity that people in general seem to be suffering from an increased rate of anal retentiveness in this world. If people step back and stop taking themselves so seriously, they tend to find even the most offensive jokes a little funny. I can't comment on this case because I don't know what was said. If the thread deteriorated into plain abuse however, its removal is understandable.

My message: For god's sake lighten up.

djk
12th Apr 2006, 16:38
I agree that when a thread is removed or shut down. a reason should be given. Its just common sense due to the fact that if people know what is likely to be removed, they won't be as likely to post it in future.
I've seen the picture mentioned. It was pretty funny. Its just a pity that people in general seem to be suffering from an increased rate of anal retentiveness in this world. If people step back and stop taking themselves so seriously, they tend to find even the most offensive jokes a little funny. I can't comment on this case because I don't know what was said. If the thread deteriorated into plain abuse however, its removal is understandable.
My message: For god's sake lighten up.

It's impossible not to offend even just one person, no matter what you say.
There's always one person who will take offense.
It does warn people that Jet Blast is not for the faint hearted, it's a place where people can let off a bit of steam.

wingman863
12th Apr 2006, 16:39
I agree entirely djk.

Farmer 1
12th Apr 2006, 16:59
Would a joke about a dairy offend anyone?

djk
12th Apr 2006, 17:01

only when the jokes are really cheesy

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Apr 2006, 17:18
Milking this one a bit, aren't we?

ex_matelot
12th Apr 2006, 17:22
Dont be so sour-faced Twotter!

fokker
12th Apr 2006, 17:23
Do you remember about 5 years or so ago, some further pages of Anne Frank's diary were discovered and considered for publication in an updated version of the original book?

They were dated August and September 1972 ...............

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2006, 17:26
Only if you don't refer to where milk comes from.
No, that's wrong!
YES, if you refer to where milk comes from.

colmac747
12th Apr 2006, 17:31
Who is Anne Frank?

*joke:ugh:

Doors to Automatic
12th Apr 2006, 17:33
This forum has become so politically correct it is untrue.

I was accused of racism once for posting a poem about asylum seekers. It was not a racist poem as it was not getting at asylum seekers but the British system of processing them. In fact it appeared in a national Uk newspaper a few days later so it could not have been that offensive as they would never publish racist material.

No doubt this post will soon be deleted!!

strafer
12th Apr 2006, 17:43
One could argue that the original joke was offensive to some, and the presumption is that is was deleted for being ‘anti-Jewish’. It wasn’t and if everything that could be deemed offensive to someone was deleted, there’d be sod all left on this board. If you do find something offensive, then post your opinion, but that's all it is.

What annoys me (how many others, I couldn’t speculate) is the arbitrary and superior nature of the thread closing and post deletions. It seems to have nothing to do with the stated ROE and the ‘stay out if you’re faint-hearted’ clause is ignored completely. It is down to the whim of whichever mod is on duty that day and in this case (if it wasn’t Danny) how lickspittle they’re feeling.

I was told on another thread that this is Danny’s board and if I don’t like it, tough. Except I don’t come here because of Danny, I read it because there are hundreds of intelligent/dopey/funny/stupid/ingenious/irritating posters from all around the world who make the board what it is. JB especially is like a pub conversation, veering off at sometimes pointless tangents, sometimes hilarious, sometimes thought-provoking, sometimes annoying but usually bouncing around according to the whims of that day’s posters. Wouldn’t it be great to be in a conversation and just delete something that someone else has said, just because you don’t agree with it? To have the power to remove people or their thoughts? The answer is no, in the end it will just be you and a bunch of yes men nodding at each other.

I know that there are people who do not like being treated like recalcitrant children and no longer read or post on here because of that (I may be enjoying an enforced holiday soon for posting these thoughts). Good riddance you may say. Who made you God? I say.

I have no problem with deleting posts are truly racist/libellous/offensive to the majority or even considered ‘Israel-bashing’. I’ve yet to see one though.

Just my musings - Power to the people.

PS Flyblue – there’s no point asking me to make my point to mods via PM. They are never (in my experience at least) acknowledged.

BluntM8
12th Apr 2006, 17:53
JB especially is like a pub conversation, veering off at sometimes pointless tangents, sometimes hilarious, sometimes thought-provoking, sometimes annoying but usually bouncing around according to the whims of that day’s posters.

True, but don't forget that in a Pub the landlord can chuck you out too if he doesn't like the way you behave.

It's Danny's train set, therefore his rules. He appoints representatives to moderate on his behalf, therefore they hold Danny's authority and should be afforded the same respect. If Danny doesn't want you Israel bashing, so be it.

Blunty

djk
12th Apr 2006, 17:55
One could argue that the original joke was offensive to some, and the presumption is that is was deleted for being ‘anti-Jewish’. It wasn’t and if everything that could be deemed offensive to someone was deleted, there’d be sod all left on this board. If you do find something offensive, then post your opinion, but that's all it is.
What annoys me (how many others, I couldn’t speculate) is the arbitrary and superior nature of the thread closing and post deletions. It seems to have nothing to do with the stated ROE and the ‘stay out if you’re faint-hearted’ clause is ignored completely. It is down to the whim of whichever mod is on duty that day and in this case (if it wasn’t Danny) how lickspittle they’re feeling.
I was told on another thread that this is Danny’s board and if I don’t like it, tough. Except I don’t come here because of Danny, I read it because there are hundreds of intelligent/dopey/funny/stupid/ingenious/irritating posters from all around the world who make the board what it is. JB especially is like a pub conversation, veering off at sometimes pointless tangents, sometimes hilarious, sometimes thought-provoking, sometimes annoying but usually bouncing around according to the whims of that day’s posters. Wouldn’t it be great to be in a conversation and just delete something that someone else has said, just because you don’t agree with it? To have the power to remove people or their thoughts? The answer is no, in the end it will just be you and a bunch of yes men nodding at each other.
I know that there are people who do not like being treated like recalcitrant children and no longer read or post on here because of that (I may be enjoying an enforced holiday soon for posting these thoughts). Good riddance you may say. Who made you God? I say.
I have no problem with deleting posts are truly racist/libellous/offensive to the majority or even considered ‘Israel-bashing’. I’ve yet to see one though.
Just my musings - Power to the people.
PS Flyblue – there’s no point asking me to make my point to mods via PM. They are never (in my experience at least) acknowledged.

Strafer,

I agree with you to a certain point. I don't think that the original nature of the thread was offensive, although my sense of humour is slightly warped.
I do feel however that the person who made the offensive posting should have been warned and instructed to delete their post or the post should have been deleted. Seems such a shame to delete the whole thing. Although I was relieved that I had saved the image of the diary from the initial post onto my pc

Germstone
12th Apr 2006, 18:24
has anyone on here ever seen a rainbow sheep???......NO

didnt think so

in my limited experience they have either been black or white or a mixture of the 2

thats fact not racism....so why the change in an age old nursery ryme

PC gone mad

Hobo
12th Apr 2006, 18:28
Reminds me of the one liner....

Thats the worst birthday present since someone bought Anne Frank a drum kit

acbus1
12th Apr 2006, 18:38
Boom boom. :}

flyblue
12th Apr 2006, 21:15
Folks,

it's not an easy job we have there. There are rules, and rhey are stickied at the top of the Forum page. Especially One man's joke is another man's racism; decision rests with the moderators and the board's owners.
You are free to agree or not with it. If you don't then you are free to leave the board. But the final decisions belong to the Moderators, and to Danny above all.

It's not easy at all to decide and to weight all the arguments for/against keeping something, but in the end a decision must be taken.
What we are trying to do, is to try to protect the freedom of posting something, and at the same time the freedom of not being hurt/offended. People don't all have the same perception of "funny", especially in some very sensitive matter as genocide, children's slaughter, paedophilia, handicapped people, racism etc. We must draw a line somewhere, or there will always be someone to push that line forward. Take as an example the recent trend of posting pics of increasingly dubious taste. It started with a lady posting a very nice picture of herself, followed by another one, then another one showing a little, then another showing a little too much, and in a matter of days it had become almost indecent exposure, with the trend spreading throughout JB. If you miss that kind of amusement, then PPRuNE is not the place for you.
Remember: Aviation related banter & subjects that don't fit the other forums is the aim here.
As I said, a line must be drawn, and it's up to us to decide.