PDA

View Full Version : Any female pilots out there just starting out???

marrymefly4free
12th Apr 2006, 11:51
Hey im a 21year old female who currently works as cabin crew, and i'm hoping to start my PPL in the next month.

Does anyone have any advice, information etc... on coming into this side of the industry as young female ex-cabin crew??? :cool:

Whirlygig
12th Apr 2006, 11:58
Ignore all the cockpit/box office jokes - you'll hear them all hundreds of times told by someone who thinks they are original :hmm:

Be professional at all times and your sex won't matter :)

Cheers

Whirls

marrymefly4free
12th Apr 2006, 12:03
Think i've heard every joke in the book so far now the boys at work have found out!! Whirls r u flight deck? ;)

MrHorgy
12th Apr 2006, 12:22
Who you working with at the moment? I'm CC at Manchester too and i'm studying fr my license (gotta do SOMETHING on that beach ;) )

Horgy

Whirlygig
12th Apr 2006, 12:23
Yes, I suppose, if you call that perspex bubble on a single piston engined helicopter, a flight deck ;) :ok:

But I suspect the heli world is different to fixed wing as far as women are treated! I have to admit that I have not had any difficulties because I'm female - the only disadvantage is that I am short and trying to fix the tie-downs on a Jet Ranger caused a great deal of amusement to all and sundry :)

Let's hope you don't experience any difficulties either - I don't think you will! Times are a-changing and we're no longer a novelty!

Cheers

Whirls

femaleWannabe
12th Apr 2006, 12:32
I'm female... just starting my PPL and hope to go commerical eventually. I haven't had any problems so far - I did a computer science degree where there were about 100 guys and 3 girls on the course, so I guess I'm used to the whole "male dominated environment" thing!

marrymefly4free
12th Apr 2006, 12:39
Its fixed wing for me whirls, i want to be sat up the front in a few years asking for yet another cup of tea and moaning that there just isn't enough crew food! And compaigning for them to let me wear a skirt and stillettos!! :p

marrymefly4free
12th Apr 2006, 12:40
Thats yet another problem i have, didn't go to uni! I went straight into being cabin crew, begining to think i might need to shag my way in somewhere!!

ultimatepro63
12th Apr 2006, 13:30
You will regret it !:} ^^^^

marrymefly4free
12th Apr 2006, 13:34
Im only kidding! :rolleyes: Shagging is best left till im firmly installed in the right hand seat and back on a beach down route hammered off my tits! :)

GusHoneybun
12th Apr 2006, 14:00
with that kind of attitude, you'll go far my girl! :E

ultimatepro63
12th Apr 2006, 14:06
Just what i was thinking. All the captians will love her

captwannabe
12th Apr 2006, 14:31
In many respects, it can be easier for a female to get on the flight deck. There are scholarships exclusively for women who wish to become pilots. Bad news for us guys :(. Although society thinks those without a degree are somehow less intelligent(!), why would you train to be an engineer/accountant/etc. when you know you want to be a pilot? The fact that you have been involved in the aviation world will stand to you in the future. Enough of me rambliing on! Good luck! :ok:

femaleWannabe
12th Apr 2006, 14:37
In many respects, it can be easier for a female to get on the flight deck. There are scholarships exclusively for women who wish to become pilots. Bad news for us guys :(. Although society thinks those without a degree are somehow less intelligent(!), why would you train to be an engineer/accountant/etc. when you know you want to be a pilot? The fact that you have been involved in the aviation world will stand to you in the future. Enough of me rambliing on! Good luck! :ok:

You don't happen to know who offers these female only scholarships do you? The only one I know about is gapan, and thats for guys as well. Cheers :)

maxdrypower
12th Apr 2006, 15:05
check your pms miss

captwannabe
12th Apr 2006, 15:28
British Women Pilots Association offer partial scholarship. Can't remember any others at the moment (why would I?) :cool:

Strepsils
12th Apr 2006, 17:24
begining to think i might need to shag my way in somewhere!! ...erm, I just happen to be the, erm, head recruiter for, er, .... a major UK airline.. PM me and we'll ,erm.. talk. <cough>.:\
Honest!:} :}:E ;)

birdlady
12th Apr 2006, 20:29
Never had a problem. :ok: :ok: I've always given as good as I get.........;) ;)

Andrén
12th Apr 2006, 20:31
I'm about to start with my PPL :)

/annette

marrymefly4free
12th Apr 2006, 20:56
Good luck Annette!! :cool:

BIG MISTER
13th Apr 2006, 01:29
Hi MarryMFFF

I've met quite a few female pilots over the passed few years since doing my PPL. In fact one of them text me the other day to remind me that she's been a 1st officer on 737's for a year already.....time Flys too ! ! !

I also know an ex CC girlie whos just started her PPL course this week. Your about the same age so if you want me to hook you both up for a chat then drop me a line via PM.

Good luck !

:}

Bootylicious
13th Apr 2006, 09:24
Have been a F/O for 3yrs now. Am with second company, and loving it all as much as the day I first started.

I've got quite a few female F/O friends, and none of us have ever really had any problems from guys in the workplace. I also know a girl who is the most up-herself little madam, and is constantly doing the whole 'look at me I'm a female pilot' thing. Guys (and girls) just don't appreciate that. Because she's female doesn't make her any better than all the other flight deck out there.

Bit of advice - don't start out telling everyone you want to wear a short skirt and stiletto's in the flight deck, and also don't be uttering those terrible words of how you'll have to 'shag your way in somewhere'. It isn't good, it isn't funny, and it certinly won't get you any respect. Oh, and you also shouldn't be telling us all how you're looking forward to getting 'hammered off your tits' and 'shagging down route'.... Of course if you're joking then banter is always good - but you should probably get yourself into the business and earn respect first before you start trying to make yourself 'one of the lads'.

femaleWannabe
13th Apr 2006, 09:36
Bit of advice - don't start out telling everyone you want to wear a short skirt and stiletto's in the flight deck, and also don't be uttering those terrible words of how you'll have to 'shag your way in somewhere'. It isn't good, it isn't funny, and it certinly won't get you any respect. Oh, and you also shouldn't be telling us all how you're looking forward to getting 'hammered off your tits' and 'shagging down route'.... Of course if you're joking then banter is always good - but you should probably get yourself into the business and earn respect first before you start trying to make yourself 'one of the lads'.

Couldn't agree more. Ok so I know nothing about the flight deck world, but coming from a computing background with loads of guys, you don't get any respect by making comments like that. Sure, the guys all laugh and it's good banter, but from my experience, nobody takes you seriously - you'll just be "that silly girl who's playing at flying a plane".

Thank you Bootylicious, I was beginning to think I'd have to get my short skirt and high heels on for my next PPL lesson :rolleyes:

Andrén
13th Apr 2006, 10:14
Good luck Annette!! :cool:

thx alot :)

scroggs
13th Apr 2006, 13:15
I've only just discovered this thread (even I have to work sometimes) and I have to admit it concerns me a little.

This place is for wannabe pilots. Not wannabe female pilots, wannabe black pilots, wannabe gay pilots, or any other subdivision of the whole wannabe population. Just wannabe pilots. So any thread that appears to want to appeal to a particular sect, ethnicity, gender, sexuality or whatever other 'minority' within the wannabe community is, I'm afraid, a little bit unwelcome.

I get somewhat more uncomfortable when I find the originator of the thread apparently glorifying using sexuality as a way of getting ahead in this business. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that as long as history existed, people have used their physical attributes to get what they want, and aviation, with its male-heavy bias, is ripe terrritory for those who wish to shortcut the system. However, integrity and professionalism is what we're about, and that kind of behaviour does not fit into our ethos. I feel that I have to draw a line in the sand here and say that, while banter is great, suggestions that dressing provocatively, getting drunk, and having sex in order to gain advantage, are completely unacceptable here.

So, marrymefly4free (and that username speaks volumes), welcome to the pilot community, but please grow up and take yourself and your proposed profession seriously. If you don't, no one else will.

Scroggs

marrymefly4free
13th Apr 2006, 16:17
Bloody hell is no one allowed to have a laugh around here?? Loosen up people you don't have to be "company ambassador" all the time havn't you heard?
I have been cabin crew for 3 years now, i take my job and the industry both very seriously and i am a well respected member of my airline. Lucky for me though i have better things to do with my spare time than casting personal judgements upon people via the internet, suggesting that they have no integrity or professionalism. And as for wanting wear a skirt and heels, so what?! it dosn't have any reflection on my ability to do the job, as does my age, gender and the fact that i like to have fun and "am one of the lads". I do not use my gender to try and short cut the system, and i am highly offended that you would suggest such a thing when you don't know me. It is people like yourself that i worry about getting locked inside the flight deck with!
Sorry Scroggs if my post isn't welcome and do feel free to delete it, i just wanted to speak to other girls who had taken a similar route to myself and gain some perspective as to what i can expect along the way, not to be insulted and offended by your comments.

scroggs
13th Apr 2006, 17:14
I'm very glad you take your job and your company seiously. I'm also happy that you're up for a laugh and consider yourself 'one of the lads'. But have a good look round this forum. See if you can find anyone else ever referring to stilletos and short skirts, how drunk they're going to get and who, where or what they're going to shag.

This isn't a humour forum, or a place for relaxing and kicking back. It's a forum about professional pilot training. There's a place for your kind of humour, but this isn't it. Go and have a look in Jet Blast and you'll find lots of people willing to have a laugh with you; they're there just for the craic.

It's a bit like taking a six-pack and a boogie-box into a library and trying to start a party; it's inappropriate and gives a poor impression of you.

If this thread had stayed on track from your original query, it would be fine. But it didn't. To get some of the info you're after, read this thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649)

Scroggs (Party animal par excellance - where appropriate)