PDA

View Full Version : Origin Pacific introduce loyalty scheme

Sqwark2004
12th Apr 2006, 08:54
11 April 2006
By ROELAND VAN DEN BERGH

Origin Pacific will this week introduce a new loyalty scheme and two larger aircraft as the Nelson-based airline fights its way back to financial health.

Under the Origin Flier scheme, passengers receive a free flight for every 12 one-way trips or six return flights.

The free flight can be used for any "Just Go" seat on any Origin service regardless of the distance previously flown and is transferable to another person. Just Go seats make up more than half the seats on an aircraft.

Progress toward the free flight will be printed on passengers' boarding passes.

The scheme was aimed at boosting passenger numbers and building a closer relationship with customers, executive chairman Robert Inglis said. A previous scheme was for business travellers only.

Origin Flier was similar to a programme that had significantly boosted passenger numbers on an Australian regional carrier, Mr Inglis said.

The programme will be operated by Auckland-based Atlantis, which runs other large loyalty schemes, including for supermarkets, children's clothing and banks. These may eventually be linked to Origin Flier.

The airline will also reintroduce two 29-seat Jetstream 41 turboprop aircraft which were returned to their owner when Origin got into financial difficulties in 2004.

The aircraft will replace its three 18-seat Jetstream 32s and is a move to standardise the fleet to J41 and 18-seat J31 models to improve operating costs. Capacity would remain about the same, Mr Inglis said.

The first J41 will return to service this week and the second within a month. Some of the J31s may eventually also be replaced by the bigger model. Origin has a fleet of 11 Jetstream passenger aircraft and Fairchild Metroliner freighters.

Origin Pacific expects to turn a profit in the year to June, its first since a creditors' rescue nearly two years ago. The private company does not reveal figures. Creditors agreed to write off 60 per cent of the $11.4 million they were owed nearly two years ago, allowing Origin to continue flying after its code-share agreement with Qantas ended.

"We are making steady progress," Mr Inglis said.

Much of the rebuilding in the past year has focused on developing the freight business, including the recently negotiated use of a Boeing 767 freighter which provides an overnight services between Auckland and Christchurch.

The freight business, which includes the marketing rights to the cargo space on Qantas' domestic Boeing 737s, now accounts for nearly half of the airline's revenue. Origin has a partnership arrangement with DHL Worldwide Express.

Origin would make cautious growth steps, Mr Inglis said.

"We remain realistic about the challenges we face in the current aviation industry climate, particularly where our main competitor Air New Zealand is state-owned and, in fact, would not even be flying without Government intervention at the expense of the ever-suffering taxpayer.

"Nevertheless, we're confident of our position and growth opportunities."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freight boosts Origin's business
11 April 2006
By VANESSA PHILLIPS

Growth in its freight service has strengthened business for Nelson airline Origin Pacific, which plans to upgrade to larger aircraft.

Executive chairman Robert Inglis said the airline's freight service had grown to the extent where revenue from it was approaching that from Origin's passenger business.

Since 2004, when Origin creditors agreed to write off 60 percent of the $11.4 million they were owed, the airline has been fighting its way back.

Mr Inglis blamed the financial woes on the flow-on effect of Air New Zealand being bailed out of trouble by the Government. He said Origin had been forced to look at other ways to expand its business.

"We've had to work hard to restructure our business and alter the network we operated, and focus on new areas of revenue."

Freight was one area that was proving profitable, while the airline's charter business had also been a steady revenue earner, he said.

The charter business would be further enhanced when the company introduced more 30-seater Jetstream 41 aircraft, he said.

Origin already operates three of the aircraft. Mr Inglis said it was reintroducing two more that had not been in service since the lease on them ran out a year ago. One was arriving in Nelson today.

Mr Inglis said Origin was not increasing its fleet but was likely to eventually replace all six of its 18-seater Jetstreams with the larger 30-seat model, to standardise its fleet and ensure it could cater for anticipated passenger growth.

Origin is introducing a new customer loyalty programme on Monday. Mr Inglis said he believed this would help to attract more passengers.

The rewards include passengers receiving one free flight for every 12 one-way flights or six return flights.

Mr Inglis said competing with state-owned Air New Zealand was anything but a level "flying" field, but he was confident Origin would continue to strengthen its status as a significant regional airline.

Capt. On Heat
27th Apr 2006, 05:24
Surprised no one had said this already, unless I missed it on another thread but Mr Inglis "standardising the fleet to J41's" isn't perhaps management speak for the fact that one of their J32's got essentially repossessed is it?!!!

For those unaware: Heard shark patrol WN-WB, boys land, punters off, some chaps present papers (of a rather legal nature) to the crew, "grab your bags please Capt and Co-this aeroplane is ours!" :ok:

757manipulator
27th Apr 2006, 11:53
Shock horror probe! a small operator getting a toy repossed..reminds me of a certain bandit operator a few years back...........:ugh:

stoidiuoy
27th Apr 2006, 20:43
That is only the start of things to come. Word on the street is that the 41's will be returned fairly soon. The end is near.

Split Flap
27th Apr 2006, 21:20
Funny isn't it how people want their stuff back when you don't pay them.. Hope the end is not near for the sake of the good guys and girls they have working for them.

ZK-NSN
28th Apr 2006, 01:59
If I had a dollar for everytime I heard Origin was going under I would be a rich man. No offence Stoidiuoy but I'll beleive it when i hear the locks have been changed and theres some neck-less security guard on the doors. Split hit the nail on the head though, they are a good bunch of dudes on the shop floor at Origin and it would be a shame to see them out on the street. Dont count Bob out yet, that guy has more tricks than K Road on a Friday night.

Rocketfuel
28th Apr 2006, 09:02
Yeah the BHE 41's will be back before the end of the month guy's(Nov 05)
Sound familiar Dallas?
I can tell you first hand those things ain't going back until they've done ripping off the fleet.
Like rats off a sinking ship, JUMP NOW LADS!!!!
Sad but true.
Rocket

Wee_Willy
28th Apr 2006, 10:23
Latest word I heard was that the J41's in WB had been all paid for and were supposed to be back in service by Dec last year. As the company putting them back together is owned by Air NZ, they were in no major rush to get things done. As a result there is supposed to be some rather interesting legal implications taking place as OP were without the two J41's over the summer period.

As a side note, with the 3x J32's gone, they now have about 12 crew per J31 and 2.5 crew per J41. Sounds like someone has it all planned out well.

W_W

CaptBloodaxe
29th Apr 2006, 23:24
I can tell you first hand those things ain't going back until they've done ripping off the fleet.
Rocket

What's that in English?

CaptBloodaxe
30th Apr 2006, 01:47
As a side note, with the 3x J32's gone, they now have about 12 crew per J31 and 2.5 crew per J41. Sounds like someone has it all planned out well.
W_W

Last I'd seen W_W, there are currently two J32s flying around on Origin operations. Where did you get your info?

Wee_Willy
30th Apr 2006, 08:17
C. Bloodaxe

The word is that the J32's will be gone by the end of the next roster, whenever that is.

(unless of course you are refering to the J31's as been J32's).

Capt. On Heat
1st May 2006, 03:52
Dont count Bob out yet, that guy has more tricks than K Road on a Friday night.:eek: :ok:

lex
3rd May 2006, 05:09
Currently...Two J32's have not had their leases renewed, the third is online til the end of this week - and then that's it for them! The J31's are staying until the end of the year with the possibility of that hunk of @#$% JSA returning to service.
There are currenty four J41's operating with an additional unit to arrive in a couple of months from WB. It's about time they moved towards an all J41 fleet.
I hear the J32'31 guys have got a pretty cushy roster these days with crew surplus to requirements.....possible job cuts in the interim you ask - maybe?

stoidiuoy
3rd May 2006, 20:48
I wouldn't count on the 5th J41 arriving from BHE in a hurry. The have no parts and no leases have been renewed.
I hear it's only a matter of time before the 41's get pulled. I guess you can only put up with not getting paid for so long.