PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cost saving in flight operation!

v1_rotate_v2
12th Apr 2006, 04:04
Help!!!:sad:

I am wondering how can I save every penny in fuel cost in flight operation for the airliners!
Can someone give me some suggestions pleaseeee...:{

Expat abroad
12th Apr 2006, 09:29
Three options come to mind:

1. Use a fuel alternate whenever possible to reduce the 5% to 3%
2. Use DPP (Decision Point Planning) when possible
3. Use No ALTN planning when possible.

These will all give some saving in fuel, and of course can be used together in combination.

Also remember that sometimes a slightly longer route may give fuel benefits due winds, and overflight charges.

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for.

Regards Expat

Lauderdale
12th Apr 2006, 14:34
The previous response holds some great advice.

Also make sure - taking into consideration Pressure Altitude/Gross Weight and ISA+/-XC u obtain Optimum Altitude.
Work on your Specific Range etc (Mach adjustment?)
Runway performance can play a role as well etc etc

Expat abroad
12th Apr 2006, 14:56
It's a very ambigous question as there are so many variables. Maybe you could be a little more specific, such as are you trend monitoring or thinking of devising a fuel policy.

Am sure there are a few in these forums who could probably come up with more detailed answers if we have an idea of what you are aiming for.

Regards Expat.

Epsilon minus
12th Apr 2006, 15:53
Tips for saving fuel:
1) Dont carry any pax
2) Dont carry any cargo
3) Ignor mandatory routing schemes and fly A - B direct
3) Ignor hemispherical FL schemes and pick the best one
4) AT TOD shut down the engines (and APU if you're really brave) and glide in
5) Dont select a fuel alternate dont provide contigency fuel. Load burn only A-B
6) Leave the aircraft in the hangar
7) If you must fly only go when the wind is ps 420 kts and ISA ms15 and the QNH 1050

Hope this helps

Lauderdale
12th Apr 2006, 20:12
Although Epsilon uses a great deal of sarcasm in his response - you would be surprised though how much time and effort airlines put into reducing fuel costs (its a matter of economical life or death). Just to give you one example. A UK based schedule carrier does the following on their Airbus fleet, they make the a/c think (prgram it) that its in certain atmospheric conditions (incl altimeter settings etc) when its really not at all- these programmed settings allow for a more fuel efficient take off burn, this can only be done if runway lenghth allows it. They carry a lap top in the flight deck which calculates all this for 'm, so they can program the a/c with most efficient settings.
Also, think about weight and balance - the way you load an a/c; this will affect its angle in flight , hence affecting its drag, hence more fuel burn.

Trust me anything that reduce fuel costs will be most appreciated, and usd/usg prices rising and rising.............

:bored:

Epsilon minus
13th Apr 2006, 08:08
Me thinks this is a "look at how much I know" thread.
When the great Oscar Wilde was asked to comment on whether he was impressed with might of the Niagara Falls he replied that he would be more impressed if they "flowed the other way".
So similary tinkering with laptops and PFM engine fuel management systems is impressive, it would be more impressive if you could change the weather to suit the operation. :cool:

Expat abroad
13th Apr 2006, 08:20
Working on it, just having a few teething problems so far, as you can tell by the current weather :)

Ops Dude
15th Apr 2006, 12:07
Easiest way I know is to trim it tail heavy

Wipeout
15th Apr 2006, 12:43
Tanking/Hedging fuel is also useful - altho it doesn't affect fuel burn as such, buying more fuel at cheaper rates at some airports can also reduce fuel/operating costs. As has been mentioned, loads of variables involved in this.

fltopsdani
16th Apr 2006, 11:38
:ok: Follow the operations procedures manual, chk the wx in flt and change FL when the a/c became lighter. Always in according with the company rules

DanielSYD

Epsilon minus
17th Apr 2006, 14:57
Follow the operations procedures manual, chk the wx in flt and change FL when the a/c became lighter. Always in according with the company rules

Good Grief :zzz: