PDA

View Full Version : Sunair to rise.....

skyvan
11th Apr 2006, 18:26
From FIN24

Cape Town - A new look SunAir, now controlled by Atlas Discovery Holdings, wants to take to the skies between August and September again - this time as an international carrier.
SunAir has twice (once in 1999 and again in 2004) plunged into liquidation. It seems the new owners, and CEO Owen Wienand, believe it will be third time lucky for the airline.

To international commuters having an international airline based in Cape Town seems almost too good to be true.

So what's the catch? The airline is looking for investors willing to pump in $125m to fund operations that will kick off initially with international flights between Cape Town and London.

Listing in late 2005

Prospective investors are being told that SunAir International envisages a listing in the third or fourth quarter of 2005.

The previous SunAir operation was owned by listed Million Air (now delisted) before control was sold to a private investor only months before its second liquidation.

Share placement agent Richard Albert told Fin24 the share offers were being well received, and that company was confident of raising $125m (R750m) needed to get the airline off the ground.

Albert points out that what differentiated the new Sun Air for the old operation was the Cape Town-based focus on overseas flights as well as a broader operational sphere - including ground handling, an air training academy, leasing and maintenance operations.

He said there was general interest in the offer from institutional and private investors alike.

Not exactly enamoured

Market watchers canvassed by Fin24 were not exactly enamoured with the SunAir offer, most believing the group would battle to raise the envisaged funding.

Judging by the e-mail share pitches currently doing the rounds, it seems obvious SunAir International is trying to tap individual investors.

To put the SunAir share offer in perspective, it is worth noting that the R750m required in funding is larger than the current market capitalisation of listed domestic airline Comair.

An investor's brochure shows revenue of $70m (R420m) in year one of operation with a net loss of $14.4m. Year two forecasts show revenue growing to $156m and net profit of $22.6m.

Regarding competition with national carrier SAA, the SunAir directors have adopted a diplomatic approach.

They note a strategic objective to "forge and maintain" a strong alliance with SAA.

"We will negotiate with them to the extent they are comfortable that we have no intention to oppose them, but are seen as adding value to the national carrier."

(read more on SunAir International in next week's Finweek).

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Apr 2006, 18:47
Jobs for crews?

One can only hope....:ok:

cavortingcheetah
11th Apr 2006, 20:00
:ooh:

Bop Air : Political Demise?
Sun Air : Economic Demise?
Million Air : Wouldn't be too keen to openly hazard an opinion?
Sun Air : The Phoenix risen?
2005 : Time Past?
2006 : No consortiums ?

Yes, I think it could work but there might be a lot of people out there with teeny tiny nests to feather?
Good luck anyway! There was a time in the companys' colourful history when it was a proud place to work.
With a long look at the past, a lot might depend upon the man who is or will be, The Chief Pilot/Operations Director?:hmm:

PAXboy
11th Apr 2006, 21:24
Looking from outside (UK) but a regular visitor, my guess is that Nationwide have the international side well in hand. That is, a slow and steady expansion working from a solid base.

The chances for a new start up in this market must be slim, particularly when others have promised and failed - there was one bunch about 18/24 months ago? If I had money to invest, this would not be on the short list. Sorry to be down beat but it just does not add up.

Deskjocky
12th Apr 2006, 08:20
This is an absolute joke- no investor is going to put a cent into this. One just has to look at the Comair IPO in 98/99 (can remember the date) initial trading was brisk but interest quickly dried up along with the share price. I know becuase as an employee (at the time) I was offered preferential shares- wound up selling them a year later for a loss! NB: I dont think the market looks at Comair in a negative light- I just think it looks at aviation related investmenst as extreemly risky.

There is one rule to running an airline- if you own it- you had also better run it day to day. Good example is Comair with Novick (x3)/ Moritz and Van Hoven (pre retirement) all shareholders and in the mix and CE with our friend VB. To a lesser extent Link- although one can never be sure how much the two of them have actually got left in the business. Bad examples, well lets not even go there...

Its the old story- how do you make a million in the airline business- start with 750 million!

Suffice to say anyone offered a job with these chaps had better be very careful