PDA

View Full Version : Scampi

Rick Storm
11th Apr 2006, 18:50
What is Scampi? I've bought it breaded, tastes a bit like prawn/shrimp is it a crustacean?

RC

ex_matelot
11th Apr 2006, 19:01
9 times out of 10 its just minced up whitebait etc etc.

longarm
11th Apr 2006, 19:02
Dublin bay prawns I was always led to beleive.

Crepello
11th Apr 2006, 19:08
I'm with longarm. Ex_matelot, sounds like you need a new scampi supplier.

Wikipedia sums it up nicely. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scampi)

G-CPTN
11th Apr 2006, 19:08
TRUE scampi is the tails of 'prawns'. Different communities define 'prawns' differently (the Danes have only one word covering shrimps and prawns), but it is generally Dublin Bay (large) prawns or Tiger prawns (or even Langoustines). They are coated in breadcrumbs (sometimes with batter) and deep-fried.
Mmmmm

ex_matelot
11th Apr 2006, 19:12
I was referring to 'scampi' served on warships on Saturday nights,with the 'steak' also:ok:

chuks
11th Apr 2006, 19:47
I have enjoyed several turns through Italian fish markets, where I have seen a rather peculiar little critter, sort of like a cross between a big prawn and a very small lobster, with odd-looking claws that the locals always tell me are 'scampi.'

On the other hand, in the States I think that 'scampi' can be just plain old shrimps cooked up in a quasi-Mediterranean way.

airship
11th Apr 2006, 20:08
I'm pretty sure that scampi is what you get when you add a bit of batter and deepfry all the bits from prawns, crab and what-have-you that don't usually get consumed in the normal course of (luncheon) affairs. A bit like prawn crackers...?! :O

Bahn-Jeaux
11th Apr 2006, 22:23
Aha, as someone who works in Grimsby, I can now enter pedant mode and inform you all that true scampi is made from the tail of Nephrops Norvegicus also known as langoustine, Dublin Bay prawn, and Norway lobster.
Cheap scampi is made up from the minced and reformed tails of the smaller creature whereas the whole tail version will increase in cost according to the size of the tail used.
Yawn.... damn, ive bored myself now and made myself hungry...I think I will cook some scampi and chips.

Ps, just to be even more boring, they used to use monkfish tail cut into small pieces until it got popular and thus expensive.

G-CPTN
11th Apr 2006, 22:26
I have enjoyed several turns through Italian fish markets, where I have seen a rather peculiar little critter, sort of like a cross between a big prawn and a very small lobster, with odd-looking claws that the locals always tell me are 'scampi.'
These are truly langoustines (as referred-to above). Sorta look like crayfish?
http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/images/Langoustine.jpg

airship
11th Apr 2006, 22:36
I feel sick. The least they could've done is to close the poor creatures' eyes before serving them up on a platter...

Skycop
11th Apr 2006, 22:44
Prawn Balls, anyone?

Whirlygig
11th Apr 2006, 22:46
yum yum - deep-fried! But, by gum, you get a lot to the pound!

Cheers

Whirls

tall and tasty
11th Apr 2006, 23:04
Scampi are lovely if they are served with any sauce such as garlic, or chilli or even just lemon mayo.:ok:

But the down side is they don't really fill you up

TnT:(

Whirlygig
11th Apr 2006, 23:05
Yeah, I've found that too :E Oh, are you not talking about prawn balls?

Cheers

Whirls

dwshimoda
11th Apr 2006, 23:26
...and unless they are served in a basket, it's just not the same!!!

Rainboe
12th Apr 2006, 00:08
We've all been warned of the 'disastrous' advance of the Spider Crab infestation down the coast of Norway since the Russians did something to use them to attack the West. Having eaten these things in Alaska (where they renamed them 'King Crabs' for marketing purposes), they are absolutley delicious with clarified butter, the legs anything up to the thickness of a sausage, and apparently one crab can get up to 1kg crabmeat weight. So if they're coming, come on kids! Can't wait. So why aren't we seeing any in the shops? They should be cheap cheap cheap. How often do we get infestations of things that are actually superb to eat? Are the Norwegians hogging them, or was this just another alarmist BBC report of 'look what ecological disaster mankind has brought upon himself again? After WE caused drought in Africa and global warming, here is another disadster WE have caused!' (typical BBC crap)

Where are the blighters?

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2006, 00:13
Remember being served delicious 'crabs' (snow-crabs?) in Belgium.
Not QUITE as large as this:-
http://www.stfx.ca/academic/biology/images/WEEDWIN14.JPG

tinpis
12th Apr 2006, 05:30
Central Australian scampi or desert prawn.

http://www.linkandpinhobbies.com/Graphics/hk-scorpion.jpg

jon s gull
12th Apr 2006, 09:46
In Oz a similar dish of prawns in Tempura batter or breadcrumbs is a staple of our coast. Try the Tewantin wharf or any port where they come straight off the boat. Inland the yabbie will suffice if the seafood van has not been today.