PDA

View Full Version : Military Discounts

Compressorstall
11th Apr 2006, 09:20
A question for all about mil discounts - do any of you know of gyms which give a good discount for mil personnel and their families? Specifically, Mrs C-Stall is looking at a gym near to a super secret underground office without windows that rhymes with Dorthwood called Esporta who claim they don't have a mil discount unless 10 of us or more join - anyone know anything about this? It's quite expensive, so obviously I want to get the best deal I can.

Also, what happened to the 'Seen this before?' thread with the GR7s at KAF? Have come home and can finally view on my PC and it seems to have disappeared..?

henry crun
11th Apr 2006, 09:55
From what I have heard there are a lot of people working at this military establishment that rhymes with Dorthwood.

Why not find 9 other like minded people then front up and ask for the discount ?

sooms
11th Apr 2006, 11:17
Can't she use the gym on Base? At my station you can't get in the fitness suite most of the time because it's full of wives. Or adminers/RAFP/day workers skiving off work

Compressorstall
11th Apr 2006, 11:50
Answering questions with questions - are you CFS graduates?

We don't live on base, and we are looking for somewhere that we can take the C-Stall juniors to as well, and this gym near to the secret base offers lots for them too...

Any clues on the GR7 vid as well?

buoy15
11th Apr 2006, 14:28
Cstall
Surely your local council, or the community you are in, has a fitness/ leisure centre where you can pay to play and train with pain?
If you personally, have to maintain a fitness standard for Service reasons, talk to the PEd staff - you may get subsidised or refunded for wasting your heartbeats!
Alternatively, you and Mrs Cstall might consider planning a family of 10, to attract the discount

2ndclasscitizen
11th Apr 2006, 16:39
No idea if you have one near you but David Lloyd do a decent discount for HMF. Costs me £70 per month for the bird and myself, also means you can use any other David Lloyd in the UK.

sirsaltyhelmet
11th Apr 2006, 16:58
Yup, there sure is a David Lloyd within jogging distance!!

Compressorstall
11th Apr 2006, 17:19
Thanks I will investigate David Lloyds. Anyone know anything about the Esporta chain? Still want to see if I can 'persuade' them into any discounts due to my being in the mob.

Harbinger de’Ath
12th Apr 2006, 15:54
CompresserStall - I was a member of that club around the corner from Borthwood. The chain intially told me that my membership of the same club down south gave me automatic membership of the one here. Later they tried to charge me £55 a month for ther southerly club, and £10 PER VISIT for the one here! There is a one-off discount (think it's £85) for one month's use. See those PTIs for details. It is good inside (although expensive!)

SlipperySlappery
12th Apr 2006, 21:05
C-Stall,

Don't know where you're living but the gym at Uxbridge is also fairly good - better for weights but the CV stuff isn't as good as the (soon-to-be-redeveloped) gym where you are.

Best bit of NWD sport is to go running in South Oxhey - you never feel the urge to stop for a rest.

Think the Harrier low flying video got pulled - can't believe it was for 'security reasons' - more likely that someone senior realised that they were looking like a bunch of unprofessional w@nkers in public..........and we can't have that now can we!

SS

mutleyfour
13th Apr 2006, 07:17
Didnt think I'd read such passionate posts regarding fitness on predominant RAF Aircrew forum. :)

South Bound
13th Apr 2006, 07:28
Yes, but note they are only talking about the 'top-end' gyms - the sort with lots of mirrors so they can watch themselves train! :ouch:

Compressorstall
13th Apr 2006, 16:56
Having been there, it's a bit like being on the set of Footballers' Wives...

Shame about the Harrier video. Can anyone remember the site it was hosted on?

Also, the mirrors are great for checking that the big wristwatch is always in view.