PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Cadet - Flight Grading

Air Apparent
11th Apr 2006, 01:00
Hi all,
I have my Cathay Flight Grading down in Adelaide, starting next week. I wondered if anyone else who had been through this stage could tell me what was involved?
Also for pilots that have some experience (such as a ppl) how does the grading differ? I'm guessing they'll test you on your existing skills and then take you a few steps further to see how well you learn.
Thanks,
AA

C172Driver
11th Apr 2006, 02:05
The cadets there already are friendly will help you out.

JW@747
11th Apr 2006, 09:44
Hi!!

As what I know,FGP employs two broad testing techniques-aptitude testing and flight testing.

Aptitude testing:uses 4 computer based tests to measure certain charactersitics that have been identified as desirable in a trainee pilot.These include:
1.ability to complete routine tasks under pressure and with differing conditions.
2.short-term memory with numbers
3.hand-eye co-ordination and anticipation
4.ability to recognise sequences in patterns

Flight testing:involve pre-flight briefings,flight involving instructor demonstration & student application of various airbone sequences,and post flight de-briefings.There are two categories of FGP dependant on the student experience.
1.Basic(applicants with no flying experience)
-7 flights in a Grob115
-mass brieft and aptitude tests(4)

2.Advanced(applicants with in excess of 20 hours previous flying experience)-estimate u r in this group if u have ur PPL.
-same as basic plus 3 more flights in Mudry CAP10.

All this will take bout 2 weeks time.Hope this help.HAPPY FLYING!!

hekokimushi
11th Apr 2006, 11:33
that would be the same for KA right?

just wondering what flying skills is being tested with the taildragger. aeros? i have also heard that a Beech B200 Flight sim would be used as well for advanced FG for 3 attempts of ILS approach. is that still true??

cheers.

Air Apparent
11th Apr 2006, 14:03
Thanks for that JW@747.

Interesting that there are so many non-flying aptitude tests. I also heard that they may put more experienced pilots into the sim, although I'm not sure how accurate this is.

C172Driver
11th Apr 2006, 15:03
Correction to some of the above.;)

There is one hand-eye co-ordination test. More basic than Cathay's initial tests.

Second test is an aptitude test on sequences in patterns.

Two types of flight grading for Cathay.

Basic is for people with little or no flying experience
This includes 7 flights in a Grob. Flying in the training area and eventually being able to fly the circuit with no input from the instructor.

Advanced is for applicants with about 20 hours of experience or more.
-This will involve 3 general handling flights and circuits in the grob.
-There is NO MORE CAP10 flights for CX flight grading.
-mass briefs followed by 3 flights in the flight simulator for some IFR work.

Goodluck, like I said, the Cadets down there will help you out.:ok:

Air Apparent
11th Apr 2006, 15:25
Cheers for that C172. Looking forward to the experience. Shame there's no more Cap10 flights - I was looking forward to some aerobatic time.

wowpeter
13th Apr 2006, 00:37
All the cadets here in Adelaide are looking forward to all 10 flight graders coming this Sunday. As for info. for flight grading, we will tell you all about it when you get here. Just relax and enjoy all the flight, that's the key :D They don't want to see people who doesn't seem to enjoy their flying or found it too stressful. :D Take care for now and see you guys on Sunday!

Air Apparent
15th Apr 2006, 08:35
Yes, I'm very much looking forward to coming down to Adelaide myself and catching up with all the cadets on the existing course.

See you there:ok: