PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit stew

jet_noseover
11th Apr 2006, 00:19
Rabbit Stew Recipe
Rabbit stew recipe includes rabbit, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and red wine.
INGREDIENTS:
1 rabbit,cut up
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped celery
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
4 cups dry red wine
2 cups diced carrots
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup water
PREPARATION:
Directions for rabbit stew.
Dredge rabbit pieces with 1/2 cup flour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add celery, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer rabbit stew for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms; cook for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/3 cup water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the broth; cook and stir until thickened.
Serves 4.
I dont think so... Better quadriple this rececipe and it'll feed a family, friends and thy neighbours...

http://channels.netscape.com/news/story.jsp?floc=ne-world-12-l1&idq=/ff/story/7000%2F20060407%2F1125000002.htm&sc=euuknews
http://rabbit

Spodman
11th Apr 2006, 00:45
Looks yummy, hand me the spoon.

For those not keen on rabbit the recipe should work for rat or cat, probably need three reasonably plump rats or one adult cat plus one kitten to feed a family. Would not work for reptiles, the herbs would overpower anything smaller than a goanna.

G-CPTN
11th Apr 2006, 00:49
Perhaps replace the bunny with a capybara . . .

jet_noseover
11th Apr 2006, 01:19
This thing??
http://http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/capy1.jpg

Nah, G-CPTN,
Can't deprive one of a bunny tail duster, or the bunny ear fan.
Kiddies like to snuggle to the fur too. (don't go there... :D )

AA SLF
11th Apr 2006, 02:32
JET -

Soooo NICE to see you are still around these parts. :ok:

jet_noseover
11th Apr 2006, 02:40
Ohhhh My, AA where have you been?????!!!!!!!!!!!
Did the rabbits consume you?

(Sweets!!! :) )

RiskyRossco
11th Apr 2006, 03:12
:uhoh: :ouch: G-CPTN, if you're quick you can make the next flight outta Dodge, before The Bruvvers come knocking . . .

pigboat
11th Apr 2006, 04:22
Does anyone have a wecipe for fwicasseeing wabbit?

Thank you vewy much,
Elmer.

jet_noseover
11th Apr 2006, 04:54
Yo Elmer,

One can always make a nice wabbit cawpet out of the fur. Nothing wasted...
Them bawstards have been ruinin' my garden.
Their ears be a nice fan pwovided one mounts it pwopewly...

acbus1
11th Apr 2006, 09:50
1 rabbit,cut up
You can't blame it.

AerBabe
11th Apr 2006, 17:18
Last summer, a friendly local farm gave me a rabbit that his hawk had just killed. The poor thing was still warm, but at least the farmer had gutted it for me! It took me ages to clean the thing up. I couldn't get my cleaver to cut through the neck ... ended up holding the cleaver in place and whacking it with a hammer. :uhoh: I cooked it slowly in a mixture of white wine and olive oil, with loads of rosemary and garlic. It was absolutely delicious - well worth the hard work.

tony draper
11th Apr 2006, 17:34
Never understood why rabbit fell out of favour in the UK,tiz a fat free healthy white meat in the manner of chicken and has much more tase than the afore mentioned fowl,
Nowt better than a Rabbit Pie with a few Jersey Royals and some spring cabbage IMHO.
:)

airship
11th Apr 2006, 17:36
In a blind test, Oztralian consumers couldn't tell the difference between a stew made of wabbit, from chicken...?! :(

green granite
11th Apr 2006, 17:39
apparently one can starve to death eating rabbit as it has no nutritional
value :confused: :confused:

I think they are brill with a pastry overcoat :ok: :ok:

Rick Storm
11th Apr 2006, 17:48
Tony
I think it might be down to myxomatosis back in the late 70s and still around today.

White Hart
11th Apr 2006, 17:56
I shoot rabbits every week, and I'm happy to pass a few prepared freebies on now and again, especially to family, friends and work colleagues who have never tried rabbit. Trouble these days is that unless it arrives in a white plastic tray with a Sainsbury's label on it, nobody wants to give it a try.

And as for preparing a gutted rabbit themselves.....:rolleyes: :yuk:

BenThere
11th Apr 2006, 18:59
A simulator instructor once said to me:

"Wabbits on the wunway. Go awound!"

Crepello
11th Apr 2006, 19:00
Out of interest, how does one prepare a rabbit? I've mastered stuffing a turkey but if it's innards aren't packed and wrapped, I still get squeamish. I'm a sad specimen, sometimes.

"Melt the butter in Dutch oven"... :eek:

G-CPTN
11th Apr 2006, 19:02
"Wabbits on the wunway. Go awound!"
Was that Wodger?
Over and out . . .

The SSK
11th Apr 2006, 19:52
Trouble these days is that unless it arrives in a white plastic tray with a Sainsbury's label on it, nobody wants to give it a try.
Supermarket rabbit (in a white plastic tray) where I'm at always includes the head, attached to one of the forelegs - just so's you're sure it's rabbit you're getting. Takes a bit of chopping off.
We casserole it with light beer and mustard.

airship
11th Apr 2006, 20:13
Y'all are dyin' to know why these sorts of dastardly things happen only to wabbits doncha?!

Well, it's because when wabbits kneel down to pray, they begin "lettuce pray..."

That's all folks... :D

tall and tasty
11th Apr 2006, 20:23
Never understood why rabbit fell out of favour in the UK,tiz a fat free healthy white meat in the manner of chicken and has much more tase than the afore mentioned fowlIt never did with my mother we used to get it at least once a week and when dad went out and shot hare and rabbit and hung them with the phesants and then got us to help gut them I often wondered why mother never understood why I hated it so much. :yuk:

But saying that it is a very health virtually fat free wholesome animal to eat and you can never just live on it or you will starve yourself because of the lac of body fat in it.

But I always though mother had been horrid if we were naughty as we always got rabbit and I was convienced she had killed my bunny one day, I had as a pet. The one day I had been particularly horrid to my younger brother (I was 7 at the time) and I went out after tea to feed bonza and he was not there. Unknown to me a fox had got into the hutch and my mother had witnessed the poor thing being taken, but did not have the heart to tell me. I hated her for weeks believing the worse.

I learnt from that ,presumption is a dangerous tool to have.

I felt terrible when I found out the truth. But I still can't eat rabbit to this day, so I may use the ingredients and substitute a chicken or two instead

TnT

White Hart
11th Apr 2006, 23:57
Just got in from a bunny shoot. Two in the shed cooling off, and I'll prepare them first thing tomorrow morning. Jubbly! ;)

crepello - to prepare a paunched (gutted) rabbit simply involves using a very sharp knife and your fingers to do the following:

First, cut round the joints above all four feet, twist and remove. Next, using your fingers, separate the furry jacket from the meat at the incision made when the rabbit was paunched. You can cut round the jacket if you like, and then you simply pull the jacket off the carcase in two bits. The head will need to be either cut off or twisted off before the fore end can be finished.

Use your knife to cut through the breastbone, and remove the vital organs. Some people like to keep these to add to a stock. Follow the spine down to the rear of the carcase and locate what's left of the digestive tract (sometimes has a few bunny balls in there!), cut through the pelvic bone and pull the last of the intestine and tailbone out - you don't want any poop in your stew, do you? ;)

Rinse the carcase thoroughly, and peel off the jelly-like outer fatty layer from the meat. The carcase can now be roasted whole (try wrapping it with bacon strips), or jointed up and used in a casserole. There's not much meat on the fore end, so I usually discard everything from the ribcage forwards; the saddle and rear legs are the best bits. Prepared rabbit is fine for freezing - use within 3 months. BBQ'd bunny is the dog's (or should that be rabbit's?) bo**ocks.

So, don't be squeamish - get out there and get one! Yum yum!! - and you too, TnT. :ok:

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2006, 00:07
Wish I could catch the feckers that come into our garden. Would earn brownie-points from Mrs G-CPTN. Blighters keep out of gun-range and/or hide among the flowers and shrubs whenever one appears . . .
They're too clever for (humane) traps too. Don't use snares or jacktraps.

planepsycho
12th Apr 2006, 00:28
sounds delicious! I have all of the ingredients except the rabbit....maybe I will go for a drive;)

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2006, 00:38
I occasionally come back from a cycle ride with a fresh pheasant on the carrier, courtesy of a recent road-kill.
Mrs G-CPTN STILL thinks I'm running them over with the bike! :ok:
Came across a deer one day, but it was too damaged (and too heavy) to haul home. :{
Rabbit road-kills are usually too flat to scrape-up.

pigboat
12th Apr 2006, 00:48
sounds delicious! I have all of the ingredients except the rabbit....maybe I will go for a drive;)

Roadkill don't count unless it's a moose. :D :D :E

PP, you oughta join Buddy, Wasisname & The Other Feller duck (www.buddywasisname.com/lyrics_hunting.htm) and moose (www.buddywasisname.com/gotta.htm) hunting if you're gonna hunt with yer car. :D

planepsycho
12th Apr 2006, 01:10
My car is already a great hunter......without my help
I am known around my area as "the roadkill queen"....:(

3 birds
5 chickens with 4 tires
1 raccoon ($78.00 damages for a new fog light)
4 rabbits
1 skunk
4 squirrels
1 possum
4 frogs
2 snakes
1 turtle
1 groundhog
3 dogs
2 cats
1 coyote ($78.00 for another new fog light)..dragged this critter under my car for 10 miles....it wasn't pretty:uhoh:
33....with one car..I'm so ashamed, but I'll never go hungry as long as I can afford petrol:ok:

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2006, 01:15
Three game wardens, seven hunters, and a pure-bred jersey cow.
http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/truckdrivinsong.html

jet_noseover
12th Apr 2006, 02:09
Mmmmmm, this will do for Easter dinner..:ok:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j183/jetmarg/12.jpg

Check out the fecker's feet.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006050669,00.html

pigboat
12th Apr 2006, 02:18
My car is already a great hunter...

You sure you ain't workin' for this joint (web.infoave.net/~dennmac/reich-wing/roadkill_cafe_menu.html)? :D

AnEviltwinEr
12th Apr 2006, 02:51
My car is already a great hunter......without my help
I am known around my area as "the roadkill queen"....:(

3 birds
5 chickens with 4 tires
1 raccoon ($78.00 damages for a new fog light)
4 rabbits
1 skunk
4 squirrels
1 possum
4 frogs
2 snakes
1 turtle
1 groundhog
3 dogs
2 cats
1 coyote ($78.00 for another new fog light)..dragged this critter under my car for 10 miles....it wasn't pretty

:eek:

Lon More
12th Apr 2006, 03:40
http://pictureserver.funnyjunk.com/pics2/roadkill_grill.gif
http://www.national66.org/photos/052RoadkillCafe.jpg
Seligman AZ

planepsycho
12th Apr 2006, 03:59
Pigboat,
Now that would be tellin':p

White Hart
12th Apr 2006, 12:49
Came across a deer one day, but it was too damaged (and too heavy) to haul home. .

would have tasted like sh*t, too - all the released adrenaline taints the meat. I wouldn't recommend eating anything killed on the road unless you ran it over yourself, picked it up, and did the basic prep without delay.

As for them rabbits in your garden, are you sure they're out of (air) rifle range?

airborne_artist
12th Apr 2006, 13:47
AA Towers has far too many of the beggars, but footpaths make it unsafe to shoot them. I live trap them (a cage trap), pull their necks, and paunch them (slit open the belly, and clean out the guts) and if we've already had bunny that week I take them down to the butcher who gives me 1.00 each!