PDA

View Full Version : Miami Job Fair re: CX?

EV120
10th Apr 2006, 22:20
I have already applied at CX, and I have also recieved the email with a PN. I just learned CX recruiters will be attending a job fair in Miami on April 22, would it be worth my while to attend?

Hedncld
10th Apr 2006, 22:37
It can't hurt to do it, but if I had to do it over again I would not. Save your money for sim prep or study material (read expensive) I did the same thing last year and spent the money just to meet Pauline Kwan (now in a different department). I enjoyed talking with her and listening to Cathay's company briefing but that didn't get me the interview just updating and e-mailing did.
When she called to invite me to the interview, I mentioned the seminar and she told me she met so many people we all ran together (my paraphrase).
Best of luck! PS I have some of the required books if you need to get your hands on them.

Regards

EV120
10th Apr 2006, 23:00
I am in the fortunate position of having free travel, unless Delta does in fact strike. I could actually make the whole trip in a day if needed.

I guess I figured I might possibly blend in with the masses, but I was figuring face time might help. CX would be the only reason for me to attend

Ive never been to one of these fairs, does anyone actually interview?

Thanks fir the offer for the books. I have a couple of them already

JavaPilot
11th Apr 2006, 22:17
Humor the new guy on the forum:

What required reading do you suggest?

Thanks.

Al.

EV120
12th Apr 2006, 13:28
From what others have told me, D.P. Davies book "Handling the Big Jets" is almost the bible for CX. If you buy or borrow it, make sure you get the third edition. I purchased a new copy from aviationworld.net, or you can find used copies on ebay tyoe sites.

Other than that, recommendations are:
-Preparing for your Cathay Pacific Interview, by Capt XYZ. Others who have interviewed say the infomation contained is not wholly accurate, but helpful.
-Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators.
-Some have also referenced an ACE book as well.

Other than that I have searched around this and others forums just to see what people are saying.

Hope that helps a little.

junior_man
12th Apr 2006, 22:06
Air inc seminars are various companiies doing an overview of their hiring etc., Air inc briefings re the industry and who is hiring (with what experience), then there is a meet and greet time where you stand in line to meet the recruiters from the airlines who are there that interest you. Basically you stand inline for up to 30 minutes and then chat with the people from the airline for 5 minutes or so.
If you do it realize that you have 5 minutes to sell yourself and leave a GOOD impression. Think of it as a mini interview and prepare accordingly.

CX wasn't going to the job fairs back when I went, but it is probably worth doing. The job fairs are also pretty good as they get you in the right positive mood to be looking for a job.

Mink
13th Apr 2006, 02:33
The chance to meet CX folks face-to-face might be valuable, but the thought of giving Kit Darby any more of my money makes my stomach turn.:yuk:

But that's just me.

Mink

EV120
13th Apr 2006, 13:42
The seminar in Miami is actually not an AirInc. sponsered event. Aeroservice and Climbto350 are running it. From what I understand it is a free seminar. FWIW

JavaPilot
13th Apr 2006, 15:51
From what I understand (from Kathy at CX) CX are not going to be in Miami. This is contrary to what you see at the Climbto350.com site.

machten
13th Apr 2006, 18:25
Well geee?! It that's the case, I ain't goin then. I was gonna go just for CX.

EV120
13th Apr 2006, 23:31
I guess it does not surprise me all that much. I have seen many inaccuracies on 350 in the past.

I was going to go just to get face time with CX, Im not really interested in any of the other attendees, and I actually work for one of them.

Oh well...I'll just keep sending updates

Start4&3
14th Apr 2006, 00:00
geeeweeezz, all these posts for nothing.:*

junior_man
14th Apr 2006, 03:52
Next Air inc jobs fair is 20 MAy in atlanta.

machten
14th Apr 2006, 05:20
Do you know if CX is goin to be there? Cuz I'm not about to give $150 to Mr. Darby for nothing.

JavaPilot
14th Apr 2006, 17:14
Again - from Kathy at CX - they will be attending in Atlanta.

machten
15th Apr 2006, 18:26
Thanks JP.

BTW, is Kathy from CX Flight Crew Recruitment?