PDA

View Full Version : Air crash kills Kenya politicians

thomay
10th Apr 2006, 14:33
This just in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4895572.stm

Sammie_nl
10th Apr 2006, 16:45
Can anyone eleborate on the type of aircraft that came down. Is it the Harbin Y-12, or something else?

Thanks in advance

B Sousa
10th Apr 2006, 19:10
Sorry to hear about another crew loss............

Coleman Myers
11th Apr 2006, 05:25
It's another Marsabit tragedy - low cloud, rain etc. Aircraft was a HARBIN Y-12. Not sure about the Ryannair story ?. Humour ?. Hilarious...

For sure they were not off to KQ as they only hire foreigners now.

Another sad day for Kenyan aviation

Spydee
11th Apr 2006, 06:40
Bushbolox,

Wow! I can't believe your insensitivity at a time like this, **** does happen and it may well be a serious lapse of judgement and they paid the ultimate price. I knew the co-pilot, attended his wedding 4yrs ago... that comment hurt.

Myers,

KQ are not yet hiring foreign pilots, they would like to for sure chiefly because of the expansion but the union is dead set against it, however i do know that they will not hire one just because they are Kenyan with a CPL, to fly for them.

Regards,

Spydee
11th Apr 2006, 13:34
Well with 9000 hrs in esat africa ive been to marsabit probably more than you and myers put together, seen many people killed in Kenya and the same denial that it wasnt a result of a long chain of corruption in licensing, maintenance and training. So spare me the lesson in grief.Unfortunate but not a surprise.

Could be true. I was not defending anyone, just said that your comments were callous at a time like this. Besides the licensing and maintenance issues would not apply in this case as this was a miltary plane.

Kq wont hire foreign pilots but Kenyans get hired abroad,. About time they left the village mentality behind, tidied up the corruption and dragged themselves into the real world.A few shiney jets do not make an airline. Smoke and mirrors at the moment.

I don't know why you are so bitter with KQ? The truth of the matter is that KQ's hands are tied as the government and the local pilot union have input into this process. The government has agreed to issue work permits to expat pilots but the union is still not playing ball. In a few months time we will know which side will prevail.

As far as I know KQ is in the real world. Been winning awards consistently, with the latest being the "African Airline of the Year", profitability is an all time high, over 2million pax carried in the last year, the first airline in subsaharan Africa to get IOSA only three others have this certification in Africa: Egypt air, SAA and RAM.

I know for a fact that they are consistently reviewing their product, they have a codeshare with KLM/Northwest, signed one recently with Air France and Korean Air. Surely if they were smoke and mirrors such mega carriers would not come anywhere near KQ! In addition they are soon to join Skyteam.

bushbolox
11th Apr 2006, 15:11
I am not bitter about KQ, but the relatives of the victims in Abijan probably are. The commander of that flight was/is not alone in his unsuitablilty for the job.The union is full of them. Like I said smoke and mirrors.I admit to generalising but until the last of the old neoptism is eradictaed it the safest thing to do. That applies to all aspects of avoation in Kenya
As for training , being miltary is irrelevant. Ask the victims of the Buffalo crash at Eastleigh. Those same miltary pilots move into the civilain world and the corruption that is endemic.
I dont need to argue with you further suffice to say i dont know the dead and to pretend i care would be hippocritical. It is yet another symptom of a system of which i have personnal knowledge unsuitable to discuss here and that Im glad to have left behind. Until the blinkers and psuedo bewilderment are removed more will die.

Kenuck
12th Apr 2006, 05:53
I am not bitter about KQ, but the relatives of the victims in Abijan probably are. The commander of that flight was/is not alone in his unsuitablilty for the job.The union is full of them. Like I said smoke and mirrors.

Quite an interesting opinion you have there. Would appreciate more insight....perhaps in a different forum.

For now, condolences to the families of the bereaved are in order.

Regarding the crash itself, seems that weather was a factor and all indications, so far, are pointing to CFIT. Let's see what emerges.

Rat Catcher
12th Apr 2006, 09:58
bushbolox matey, I am having trouble keeping up with your handles, especially when your profile doesn't have your traditional message!:E
Anyone who flies that area is/should be well aware of the weather and it is a shame that yet another decorates the hillside.
I understand that flights with ministers onboard are not the easiest to undertake as numerous pressures exist, sadly I doubt that the airforce have as much veto as a civilian operator would have had.
A shame that more have died needlessly but a bigger shame that the powers that be will probably not learn anything from it either!:yuk:

PS That floater "floated" over to talk to me the other day, "it's really sooooper, such a lovely,plane but home is etc..blah drone waffle"..zzzzzz

bushbolox
13th Apr 2006, 10:16
I will pass on your salaams to the chap i think you mistake me for. However he is doing fine imprinting his particular twist on jarops to unsuspecting middleclass rich boys desperate to fly a jet, whilst boring them silly with his war stories and helping thier parents into penury. The return of the sooper dooper starship trooper bearing stories of great aviation feats is truly inspiring. There will a ngoma and feasting at steptoes to rival any luo marraige.Coleman et al will be rejoicing
To return to the topic, I apologise if i caused offence to people that did know the deceased, although feel no grief myself i will respect theirs.

My opionion is based on years of experience in that region, not bitterness. Certain operators (a la Ratttys mob) maintain standards that transcend the ones undermined by the authority, but the system is flawed, to try and avoid that reality by quoting international awards or indignation toward the opinion is just feeding the fire, and demonstrates an ostrich ignorance or profound nievety intentional or otherwise The amount of times ive sat in the aeroclub hearing the phrase " ah but he was such a good pilot" after a fatal is depressing. Something gave , and will continue to give until there is an enema in the system. Signing a few icao agreements and having sub comittees here and there is more smoke and mirrors if the people tasked to implement agreements are crooked ...allegedly.

Coleman Myers
13th Apr 2006, 10:58
I was thinking of what options would have been available to the crew - perhaps diverting to Moyale (to far up ?) or Wajir, which has few terrain issues and fuel (?). It seems to be the fuel that caused the eventual casualties as it appears many of the pax survived the impact into the hill. If the terrain had been more accessible would the rescue team have arrived any faster ?.

thrustucantrust
13th Apr 2006, 11:39
Hello Ratcatcher,

Was that one of yours (not the moyale one) or one of your ex bosses.Glad to see the captain in training has popped in to rub it in.Maybe its time to take up the DEC offer at ek and do the same...hee hee. Maybe the combination of homesickness, and that dratted right seat will bring the poor dear home.
PS busbolox isnt me.
opio

Jamborjp
14th Apr 2006, 04:30
hey guys,
anyone kow how to get a job i n Kenya without haveing to convert my certificates...which I know takes over 10mts. I have an FAA CPL/ME/IR and CFI/CFII/MEI with over 1000TT and am a Kenya Citizen currently living in the US and working as a Flight Instructor.
Would like some help, getting a job in Kenya or anywhere in Africa, anyway???