PDA

View Full Version : editing jpegs / gifs

FireDragon
10th Apr 2006, 14:07
Can someone advise?

I'm looking for software that will enable me to put shadows, frames, etc, around jpeg or gif images.

Don't have Photoshop (if you can do it in that), but was wondering if there is a trial program available to download that can do this sort of thing.

Thanks

PPRuNe Pop
10th Apr 2006, 20:02
A really good one is Irfanview - just type that into Google and viola! I use it a lot.

PPP

Conan the Librarian
10th Apr 2006, 21:38
For simple jobs like borders, there are several packages that will cut the mustard. (Irfanview is a fabulous proggie - and free too) Same for casual users. However, for more invasive editing, the JPG is a dead duck anyway, as artifacts become all too readily apparent in the edited picture. If you are working JPG then anything will do, as there ain't that much that you can do in the first place. A JPG is like a zipped file, with lots of compression and as a consequence, lots of info that is dumped overboard. You end up throwing out the baby, as well as the bathwater. It is small, it is convenient - but only for a finished product. Start manipulating that and you will very soon bump into the natural limitations.

If you use either Camera RAW or work in TIF, PSD or similar, then a few quid spent, will be worthwhile. Cheapo options that are well worth examining, are Photoshop Elements 4.0 or Corel Paintshop X, both of which might keep you happy for many a long year. Purists can head for Photoshop CS2, but for 90% of folk, this is massive overkill, the results though, can be awesome.

As something of a caveat, for those that have not edited their photos before, you will be amazed what even a cheap (yes, in many cases, free too)package can do. You can bring pictures to life in a way that will leave you sitting at the PC, simply stunned.

Conan

FireDragon
11th Apr 2006, 14:56
Thank you both for the information
FD