PDA

View Full Version : Gorillaz - are they any good?

BluntM8
10th Apr 2006, 09:22
Not the hairy ape type, but the cartoon band brainchild of the artist and the fop.

To my enduring suprise I seem to find that their music is growing on me. For each of the last few releases I've initially not been that impressed but have steadily grown to really like the tune in question. The latest, "El Manana", is really quite appealing with it's strings and textured sound.

Now, I generally dislike anything which doesn't include at least one Gibson Les Paul and a healthy smattering of valvey amp noises. So, what's happening to me?

Has anyone else found similar or am I alone destined to become a trendy art student type with french cigarettes and a sathcel of french novels?

Gouabafla
10th Apr 2006, 09:45
Me too, mate. My son videod a Gorillaz concert recently, and I've found myself watching it and very much enjoying it.

Sammie_nl
10th Apr 2006, 11:13
Being a spring chicken myself, although one that spends considerable time listening to "old music", I can certainly agree on the quality of the Gorillaz.

I usually hold the opinion that no good music is being made anymore, at least, they won't show it on MTV. But the Gorillaz made me change my mind. Good music is being made nowadays and they even show it on MTV, just not very often :{

I guess that the 90s battle of the band is now finally and for good decided in favour of Blur. With Oasis repeating more of itself, Blur has evolved in two seperate projects, one being Gorillaz and then there is that gitarist that released a half decent album recently.

ChocksAwayUK
10th Apr 2006, 11:37
And then there's Wigwam, Sammie. Not to mention that Alex James has suggested the threat of another World Cup song with Keith Allen.

Buster Hyman
10th Apr 2006, 12:16
Still trying to get into Demon Days...liked the previous album though.:ok:

VP8
10th Apr 2006, 12:32
On a similar theme am giving Monkey Business by Black eyed peas a thrashing in the car at the moment......Gorillaz are excellent from an also not so spring chicken :}

VEEPS

Buster Hyman
10th Apr 2006, 12:35
Sorry for the drift, but has anyone heard Dave Gilmours "On an Island" yet? I'd like to get it but am more discerning about who gets my $$$ these days....

ChocksAwayUK
10th Apr 2006, 12:44
Buster, it's actually quite good. A bit like side 3 of meddle in many ways. Well it could never compete with Echoes but it is in a similar vein. Much better than I'd expect from someone pushing 60.

Buster Hyman
10th Apr 2006, 12:47
Cheers Chocks...I'll give it a go!:ok:

And if you're reading this Dave...I'll pay $$$ just for you!:ok:

BluntM8
10th Apr 2006, 12:49
On a similar theme am giving Monkey Business by Black eyed peas a thrashing in the car at the moment......Gorillaz are excellent from an also not so spring chicken :}
VEEPS

Hmm, not sure about BEP. I really liked the "Where is the Love?" Song, because the sentiment of the lyrics was anti-racist and the tune was pretty handy, but as far asI can tell the rest of their stuff is about sex and I don't really like that.

And, of course the LP is not a strong feature...:)

Listening of choice round here at the moment is probably the excellent "Sailing to Philladelphia" but Mark Knopfler himself.

ChocksAwayUK
10th Apr 2006, 12:54
Listening of choice round here at the moment is probably the excellent "Sailing to Philladelphia" but Mark Knopfler himself.

Now that's proper Dad music. My Dad's a huge MK fan. Perhaps I should lend him my Gorillaz CDs.

BluntM8
10th Apr 2006, 12:55
Now that's proper Dad music. My Dad's a huge MK fan. Perhaps I should lend him my Gorillaz CDs.

I'm not sure if this will help or hinder what little reputation I have, but I am only 25, you know...:O :=

ChocksAwayUK
10th Apr 2006, 12:57
Ha...oops. Well that's fine. Both artist are very good in my 29 year old opinion.

BluntM8
10th Apr 2006, 12:59
To drift my own thread slightly, does anyone know what MK actually plays at the moment. It's obviously not the National Res-o-phonic on the cover of Brothers In Arms, and it's doesn't sound much like a Strat (those awful weedy single coil guitars...:yuk: ), so what is it?

Buster Hyman
10th Apr 2006, 13:01
Have you tried MK's "Shangri La" yet Blunty? Not bad, although "Sailing to Philly" was better...

Just realised I've got Linkin Park going on in the background....funny innit? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/git.gif

BluntM8
10th Apr 2006, 13:03
Funny you should ask, I've got Boom Like That on as we speak. Not got the album, but that's just because theres always too much month left at the end of the money!

IMHFO
11th Apr 2006, 05:55
Gorrillaz are great but just bought Arctic Monkeys - not too impressed with that one though.

Missy Higgins is the best I've got recently. You lot know of that one OS???

Romeo Delta
11th Apr 2006, 21:40
All this talk of Gorillaz, and it looks like it's going to be all over soon. E! Entertainment news is reporting that "Demon Days" is going to likely be the last Gorillaz album, and Damon Albarn is going back to Blur.

:hmm: :{

Gorillaz, we hardly knew ye...

AnEviltwinEr
11th Apr 2006, 21:55
Vote for No.