PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian presidential jets

femialpha
10th Apr 2006, 03:51
I found this pix on the net and wondered if anyone knows when OBJ is receiving his new BBJ.

http://www.myaviation.net/search/search.php?view=&regnr=5N-FGT

Secondly do any of our nigeria based folks have an idea how many planes are currently servicable in the fleet? Thanks.

GreenOnGo
10th Apr 2006, 07:26
Do they or did they ever have a Falcon 50 or 900?

LGW Vulture
10th Apr 2006, 08:25
Yup, the Gov't have 5N-FGE & O. 2 x Falcon 900's.

GULF69
10th Apr 2006, 13:46
correct me if i'm wrong, but don't BBJ's (i.e. 737-700's) have winglets? That looks more like a 737-500... but like I said, I might be wrong...

GULF69
10th Apr 2006, 19:01
PS, I have seen the Nigerian Government run around in a Gulfstream IV...
Have they up (or down) graded?

Coleman Myers
11th Apr 2006, 05:24
Some years ago I counted nine aircraft including all mentioned above (except the B737) at the Federal Government Terminal

Capt. Manuvar
14th Apr 2006, 15:24
there is a Boeing 727 super 72 usually used to carry Baba up and down the plce. the G-IV is used to carry the vicew president. There are at least 2 Falcons flying, saw two of the flyig at the same time a few weeks back. I don't really know much about the whole fleet

femialpha
15th Apr 2006, 03:35
correct me if i'm wrong, but don't BBJ's (i.e. 737-700's) have winglets? That looks more like a 737-500... but like I said, I might be wrong...

It certainly doesn't look like a BBJ but maybe winglets are not added at the Washington facility. Unfortunately the painted picture does not show the wings.

Lets see how long this one lasts before they declare it 'too old'!

Rani
15th Apr 2006, 06:36
The current 'super' 727-200 is flying in violation of the 22-year max aircraft age regulation. Technically, a waiver is in place.

OBJ originally had an eye an A340-300 from the Royal Brunei Air Fleet, he was ready to pay the deposit until the outcry at the senate which later blocked these plans citing Nigeria's financial situation (in 2002 at least).

Oh well, this 737-700 is a beauty now he will most likely want to stay put for his 3rd term to enjoy it !

Flying Touareg
7th May 2006, 12:52
The PAF yesterday took delivery of the new 737-800.i learnt it is in DNAA. Anybody seen it?

centurion_ue
9th May 2006, 15:08
it interest u guys to know that a new aircraft has been added to the presidential fleet.a boeing 737-800.it was just flown into MMA with Baba Sege on board.

LostAndFound
17th May 2006, 08:30
President Olusegun Oba-sanjo and some of his top aides, including some journalists attached to the State House early yesterday morning escaped death by the whiskers when the new Presidential jet in which they were traveling in on an official trip to France, developed serious technical problems mid-air.
This situation, however, forced the plane that was acquired just last week, to make an emergency return to the point of take –off at the Presidential wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
No Minister was said to be on board the pane.
According to reliable sources, the plane lost cabin pressure about fifteen minutes after take-off during which the oxygen mask was released to the more than 35 passengers in the plane.
The source also revealed that after the loss of pressure and the use of oxygen mask by those on board, the pilot who thought he could still make the scheduled flight to France had to abort the idea as the high temperature in the air craft forced him to return to base after which the plane was immediately towed to the hanger of the Presidential fleet.
The new aircraft, a Boeing Business Jet (BBJ) 737-800, that was bought at the cost of about $7.9 million or N1.04 billion, was making its second international trip with the President since its delivery. The first was the trip the President and his entourage took to Indonesia to attend the Developing Countries meeting popularly known as D-8, after which he took a short trip to Uganda where he went to congratulate President
Yoweri Musevini of that country who had on that day won for the third consecutive time elections as President of that country.
The source also added that the plane, upon landing back to base, experienced further problems as all the electrical workings of the plane went off, just before it was towed to the hanger.
This situation, according to the source, made all those on board the Presidential plane including senior presidential aides, security operatives, cabin crew and journalists panic as they all struggled to get out of the aircraft.
The source also said that once the plane landed, its rear exit was immediately flung open as the panicky passengers trooped to disembark.
However, President Obasanjo, the source added, insisted on making the trip to France in a smaller aircraft in the Presidential fleet that was immediately prepared for the trip, but most of the passengers on board the new Presidential plane had to be dropped because of the lack of space.
It would be recalled that this is the second time in less than a month that a plane in the Presidential fleet will be involved in a near mishap. Only three weeks ago, the President’s other aircraft was unable to ascend owing to what sources said was due to weather problems.
The presidency confirmed the near mishap in a statement issued by the President’s media aide, Mrs. Oluremi Oyo, in which she said that Obasanjo was already in France after the delay caused by a technical problem in the aircraft.
The statement read: “President Olusegun Obasanjo is in Paris, France to attend the UNESCO presentation ceremony of the Houphouet Boigny Prize for the Search of Peace.
“The ceremony is being attended by other Presidents, including those of Senegal, Tanzania, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Comoros, Madagascar, Niger, Equatorial Guinea and France.
“President Obasanjo’s journey from Abuja was delayed early Tuesday because of a technical problem in the aircraft. This caused a change of aircraft which later conveyed the President and his entourage to the French capital.
“President Obasanjo is due back later today”.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=48367

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article06

surely not
19th May 2006, 08:07
Should have bought an Airbus :) :E

ChiefT
19th May 2006, 10:08
The new aircraft, a Boeing Business Jet (BBJ) 737-800, that was bought at the cost of about $7.9 million or N1.04 billion,
7.9 Mio USD seems a bit too cheap for a BBJ-2. should be 70.9 Mio,or?

From boeing.com:

Price standard 737-800 66.0 -- 75.0