View Full Version : R22 Down at Wycombe?

2Sticks
9th Apr 2006, 16:32
A Booker non-heli pilot told me there'd been an R22 crash last week but, surprisingly, I can't find any reference to it on here. Apparently, following a practice auto, the tail struck the ground, possibly in the flair, resulting in a roll over. My contact said that nobody was hurt - thankfully. Anyone got any details?
2Sticks

Helinut
9th Apr 2006, 19:53
If your info is correct, there will be two possibilities:

Helicopter Services, or
Heliair

I have noticed in the last few accidents involving Heliar's aircraft that they NEVER say anything and manage to keep a low profile.

There is a lot of R22 ab-initio done at WAP. In the nature of this, when as in the UK autos are down to the ground, you will get occasional mishaps.

stevfire2
9th Apr 2006, 19:57
no rollover, a/c remained upright despite damage. no injuries.

puntosaurus
9th Apr 2006, 21:59
no rollover, a/c remained upright despite damage. no injuries.
It's actually quite a tribute to the R22. The machine (G-OPAL) was utterly wrecked, but the cabin was intact and I gather the occupants walked away. One for the Robbo detractors to think about when the 206 at Southend came within a whisker of decapitating it's occupant. All sorts of stories circulating about the cause, Heli-air were saying it was pilot disorientation due to rain on the windscreen, speculation was that it was an auto that went wrong. There was certainly no run on, and it was a reasonably breezy day. Only two people know for sure ....

9th Apr 2006, 23:06
That's no great loss. G-OPAL was a right piece of junk!

HeliEng
10th Apr 2006, 06:58

I'll second that!!!

O27PMR
11th Apr 2006, 14:46
Puntosaurus

You are quite right, the fact that the occupants walked away from the crash with only minor injuries, given the severity of the damage to G-OPAL, is a tribute to the shock absorbing capability of the R22.

With regard to the stories circulating about the cause, I recommend you listen to Heli Air's version of events and disregard any rumours about autos gone wrong. If you have heard any other stories or rumours surrounding this accident, I'd be interested to hear them...

Bravo73
11th Apr 2006, 15:33
I recommend you listen to Heli Air's version of events

You seem to know 'Heli Air's version of events'. To quash any rumours, can you share it with us please? :ok:

O27PMR
11th Apr 2006, 16:19
You seem to know 'Heli Air's version of events'. To quash any rumours, can you share it with us please? :ok:

As previously stated in Puntosaurus's post, Heli Airs position is that the crash was a result of pilot disorientation due to rain on the windscreen.

Hope this helps...:)

Bravo73
11th Apr 2006, 16:30
Thanks. And thanks again (due to the character limit).