PDA

View Full Version : Those Tricky L/E Flaps.

webber1
9th Apr 2006, 04:03
Heard on a grape vine today that the last 747 to come out of QF's facility in Avalon landed with its l/h Krueger flaps half extended because the torque tube off the pdu had disconnected itself.
Anybody know the story?

qf 1
9th Apr 2006, 05:55
heard the same thing webber,apprentley #14,#15 and #16 kruegers where disconnected by avionics with no paper work raised and then the aircraft left without anyone being the wiser that the flight controls were ever touched,i think there was an incident a few yrs again where a similar thing happened, were the L/E flaps didn't deploy on take off on a 747,and all souls aboard lost their lives,sounds like Qantas are very lucky this time round,maybe the 1 st 747-400 D check that is to be done there they will not be so lucky

Kiwiconehead
9th Apr 2006, 06:08
i think there was an incident a few yrs again where a similar thing happened, were the L/E flaps didn't deploy on take off on a 747,and all souls aboard lost their lives,

Nice inflammatory statement there - made up of course. There was a DC-10 lost in Chicago due to maint error result in the LE flaps retracting and the LH wing stalling - but that was because THE ENTIRE #1 ENGINE AND PYLON RIPPED OFF AND TORE OUT THE HYDRAULICS TO THE LE FLAPS.

Rather a tenuous and slightly clutching at straws link don't you think.

QF heavy is not the only place in the world or even in Australia capable of maintaining aircraft. I could draw some conclusions about QF Heavy in Syd but I only know one person there, he used to be a tradesman where I worked, I wouldn't sign his work, he tripped around 4 shifts because no-one wanted him - he's a 747 LAME in QF Heavy now - worlds best huh?

Kiwiconehead
9th Apr 2006, 06:50
hey nz seems to have a habit of exporting dodgy characters to qantas :(

He wasn't a kiwi

qf 1
9th Apr 2006, 09:22
First off kiwi you are wrong it was the first ever crash involving a 747,the stats Luftansa flight 540 aircraft reg D-ABYB departing Nairobi Kenya on runway 24 on the 20th NOV 1974 carrying 140 pax and 17 crew.
The CB's were not set by the flight crew for the L/E flaps prior to departure.The L/E flaps are those things at the front of the wing ,they deploy from the underside of the wing,which when extended help the wing create further lift at low speed,they are required on all take off's and landings.They help the brick fly.
SO before you accuse someone of making inflammatory statements and clutching at straws get your facts right.
You also state you could draw some conclusions on Syd heavy so why don't you,LETS HEAR THEM,would they be the ones of the Syd blokes running around fixing all the f@ck ups that come out of Avalon,and why didn't that aircraft return to Avalon for all that knowledge on Tap

Woomera
9th Apr 2006, 09:37
And this thread is headed the same way as previous QF engineering threads..........

If This thread disappears due to the "quality" of posts, please don't bother to ask where it has gone!

:mad:

Sunny Woomera

HotDog
9th Apr 2006, 10:02
Correct qf1;
20 November 1974; Lufthansa 747-100; Nairobi, Kenya: The aircraft was not properly configured for takeoff and stalled shortly after becoming airborne, crashing about 3600 feet (1100 meters) beyond the end of the runway. The crash killed 55 of the 140 passengers and 4 of the 17 crew.

Weber 1 heard on the grapevine that the aircraft landed with the left hand Kruegers not fully extended. qf1 states that #14,15 & 16 were disconnected by avionics. 14,15 & 16 are on the right hand wing. Why and how would avionics disconnect the Kruegers?

Kiwiconehead
9th Apr 2006, 10:04
You also state you could draw some conclusions on Syd heavy so why don't you,LETS HEAR THEM

I could, but I won't, because if the one person I know there is indicative of the talent there they wouldn't be very nice ones.

I can draw some conclusions in general about Qantas, that is that it is a dinosaur that needs to change. And there are plenty of dinosaurs in Qantas.

Qanas Engineering is not the worlds best just because you think it is.

webber1
9th Apr 2006, 11:07
I dont want to see this thread get pulled because kiwiconehead is defending poor maintenance practices.
Hot dog I may have been mistaken over which wing it was, either way after speaking to a colleague of mne that was at work today and read a report on the matter it apears tha a set of zone 510 or 610 l/e flaps had extended and remained extended because the torque tube to the pdu had become disconnected at one end and incidentally was not lockwired at the end other.
I cant see why electricians would disconnect torque tubes, and i cant see why an indepenant inspection of the flight controls tha have been disturbed would have missed the lockwire.
On the subject of quality and Sydney H/m Kiwi, I can assure you that there is mor than one low quality worker there, but the quality of those around them assures that they can't do any damage.
The quality of the supervision from Lame upwards is excellent.
And despite your assertions they are the best in the world.
ps Woomera, please dont pull this thread until the truth comes out.
Don't let it become muddied to disguise the real issues.

BHMvictim
9th Apr 2006, 13:10
I can draw some conclusions in general about Qantas, that is that it is a dinosaur that needs to change. And there are plenty of dinosaurs in Qantas..

Yep. You are right! We need to lose our spines and give up our shift penalties and overtime rates to keep our jobs!!! Come on Aussies.... lets follow that Kiwi ingenuity!

Actually, I don't disagree that Qantas needs change within Engineering... it certainly does! FROM THE TOP DOWN!
Just don't think we should be looking to Kiwis for the answers... they have already destroyed 1 Aussie airline.

Qanas Engineering is not the worlds best just because you think it is.

Ahhh forgetting that ANZ re the epitome of engineering excellence!

Woomera
9th Apr 2006, 13:34
This is going nowhere....'click'

Ethereal Woomera