PDA

View Full Version : ATPL but only to CPL level possible?

kd28
8th Apr 2006, 18:35
Hi,
I am sorry if this question has been posted already, I did a search and could not find anything and didn’t find anything in the LASORS either.

I am about to start the ATPL modular course but don’t immediately want to get to the “frozen” ATPL level ,all I really want is a JAR CPL but I might want to go the full ATPL route in future. I basically just want to do the 14 exams and then do the CPL flight training and exam.
Will the above give me a JAR-CPL and will the above allow me to finish off the ATPL at a later state (say in 2 years)?

Regards,
KD28

scroggs
8th Apr 2006, 18:45
The ATPL ground exams plus the CPL/IR is what is known colloquially as the frozen ATPL. All that is needed to unfreeze it is experience (1500 hours). There is nothing else you need to do to get an ATPL - you would have already done it! However, if you subsequently wanted to go for the airlines, you would need to add at least an MCC to your qualifications.

Scroggs

bfato
8th Apr 2006, 19:19
Yes, if you pass the 14 ATPL theory exams, take the CPL course and pass the flight test you will have a CPL. You would then have to do the IR within 36 months of the of the final ATPL subject pass, or you lose the exam credits.

So your scenario of doing the IR two years later would be fine, any more than three years later wouldn't be. If you went beyond those three years you wouldn't lose the CPL but you would need to redo the exams before taking a IR test.

kd28
8th Apr 2006, 19:30
Cheers for the quick reply!

dllcooper
8th Apr 2006, 19:38
On qualifying onto ATPL (f) with MEIR - what does one have to do to keep the licence - how many hours are needed, is there any on going CPD to keep up with like airlaw changes etc...?