PDA

View Full Version : Time for an end to early release ?

Grainger
8th Apr 2006, 11:32
Once again, a horrific crime committed by someone released early from jail :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4888450.stm

A convicted paedophile has admitted abducting a toddler, assaulting her and driving her more than 100 miles from her home in Cardiff.

At the time Craig Sweeney, 24, was staying in a bail hostel after being released early from jail for indecently assaulting a six-year-old.

The world really is going mad: 10-year-olds are subjected to the full weight of the law for playground high jinks. Meantime, kiddy fiddlers are let out early to do it again :mad:

Clearly something is going very wrong with the process by which people are being assessed as suitable for early release. How many more times does this have to happen ?

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Apr 2006, 11:36
There is a continuous stream of news reports of people in SA being assaulted/robbed/raped/murdered by those out on bail or probation.

Nothing new. :(

BenThere
8th Apr 2006, 11:50
How about this idea?

At sentencing, assest the cost to society for each crime. This would include restitution for victims, cost of food, shelter and management of the prison, and a factor for the cost of the crime fighting process such as police and courts. If a prisoner wants a TV or magazines while in prison, he has to buy them.

So a murder might be assessed a cost of $2,000,000, for example. The money can only be earned in prison by working at a fair wage, not donated by a wealthy relative or a do-gooder group. When the prisoner has paid his debt to society, he is released. I'd suggest a prisoner could keep up to 20% of his earnings for personal income, while the rest would go toward his debt, net of taxes.

Non-violent criminals could clean litter and grafiti on the public streets. Violent criminals could do upkeep in the prison and manufacture many items as they now do in the US.

Doesn't this make more sense than the catch and release early program we have now?

G-CPTN
8th Apr 2006, 11:59
That's good philosophy! Prisoners are waited-on hand and foot and fed at regular intervals, provided with bed etc all for no effort. NO comparison with real life, and no training for life after clink, where they suddenly find themselves needing to claim benefits instead of WORKING.

lexxity
8th Apr 2006, 12:47
Ben There what a good idea. Of course it would never happen because no doubt it would be "demeaning" to the prisoner.

I really do think we should form the PPRuNe party for the next election.

G-CPTN
8th Apr 2006, 12:49
Monster Raving Prooning Party?

lexxity
8th Apr 2006, 12:52
HAHAHA CPTN, but we would be the only serious contenders though.:\

fmgc
8th Apr 2006, 13:08
Not to mention all the convicted murderers that Tony Blair has released in N.Ireland!

Who would be party leader?

frostbite
8th Apr 2006, 13:09
Like that, G-CPTN!

Thing is, if we got in the question wouldn't arise for a fair number of miscreants because we'd have permanently removed the problem.

G-CPTN
8th Apr 2006, 13:24
we'd have permanently removed the problem.
Onto the conveyor . . .

Grainger
8th Apr 2006, 15:07
Yup, time to haul the discussion back on track.

If we can steer clear of thinking up all sorts of horrid punishments and get back to the question of why people are being released early only to re-offend.

What exactly is the process by which offenders are assessed for early release ? You'd think probability of re-offending would be pretty high up there. And are those who make the decision accountable in any way ?

What measures could be put in place to prevent re-offending ? I would have thought, at the very least, being put back in to serve the remainder of the original sentence in addition to anything handed down for the new offence.

bjcc
8th Apr 2006, 21:09
Grainger

I can't recall the exact in's and out's of early release, but I think it's along the lines of once one third of a sentence is served, provided they have behaved, shown remorse, then can be considered for release early.

That applies, again, from what I can recall to all prisoners, so for example, a pilot convicted of drinking and flying would have the same right to early release as a peadophile.

The idea of early release is that the person then behaves, or he will be recalled to prison, as happened with a demonstrator in London recently. That in iself is a deterent to some, but just like the rest of the judicial system isn't a deterent to all.

If my memory is not accurate, or not current, sorry for missleading.

In my opinion, the early release system should be more restricted. ie, the example of a pilot above, yes, he should have early release, as he has probably learned his lesson, the hard way, and has to rebuild his life form scratch. A repeat offender, for example thief should not be given early release, as being given the chance once before has not shown him the error of his ways.
I

G-CPTN
8th Apr 2006, 22:58
The concept of early release is based on sound assumptions, however I believe there's also the conception that sentences can be significantly shortened by keeping one's nose clean inside and taking a punt on not getting caught next time. However, the lack of regular employment during incarceration probably induces a lessez-faire attitude towards a lawful gainful existance after discharge, leading to re-offending . . . :confused:

If bjcc is postulating that only first-time offenders were entitled to remission, then I would agree with the concept, except that the prison authorities rely on the remission system to induce 'hope' among the prisoners and persuade them to 'behave'. Difficult one!

tony draper
8th Apr 2006, 23:33
It must piss off the Judges more than it does us hangem and floggem types,seems to me the sentence he pronounces with such solemnity at the end of a trial is totaly meaningless,he may as well stick his finger to his lips waggle it back abd forth going blubble blubble blubble.
If a crime merits ten years sentence and thats the sentence the Judge pronounces thats what they should do, a year off perhaps,for good behaviour but that is all.