PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu and Birdstrikes

bluepilot
8th Apr 2006, 10:24
with bird flu now in the uk i presume that in the event of a birdstrike the crews / engineers could be at risk?

757manipulator
8th Apr 2006, 11:03
Probably more risky getting out of bed in the morning I would speculate to say....:hmm:

camlobe
8th Apr 2006, 13:04
I always thought that the crew were at risk in the event of a birdstrike anyway, especially near the cockpit.

Dani
8th Apr 2006, 13:31
Why cockpit? There is no interconnection to the outside in the cockpit. Open cockpit window? Better do not (at least not in the air). The only way "something" could come inside would be a bird strike in the bleed system, where it is highly unlikely that great amounts of viruses enter.

Bird flu is mainly a problem in bigger migrating birds, like Swan, goose and the like, which are rather seldome involved in bird strikes. Intesive studies in "contaminated" Europe have found that small birds, are not (yet) carrying H5N1.

There might be a potential risk for the Engineer when he touches remains of birds, but normal hygieny (wearing gloves, using soap, washing hands) should do the trick.

Dani

currawong
10th Apr 2006, 09:40
I shall be sure to point that out to the next bird that comes through my windscreen Dani.

Given the penetration trauma associated with broken glass, perspex and splintered bird bones I reckon it is a real risk.

Visors down under 1000 ft:ok:

Jonty
10th Apr 2006, 12:10
I'm sure a little while ago there was a piccy of an American airlines B767 where the bird had gone through the radome, through the pressure bulk head and the captains instrument panel and lodged in the wall behind the captain seat.

So if bird flu becomes more wide spread then it could be come an issue.

Ranger 1
12th Apr 2006, 20:55
We have had detailed procedures in place since October, based on information we received from The Central Science Lab in York here in the UK.
All our vehicles have kits which were made up in house.
If we have to remove birdstrike remains from the runway or an Aircraft we wear disposable gloves place the reamains in a Bio Hazard bag along with soiled gloves, if a litter picker is available we use that to avoid contact with gloves, once the bag is sealed the hands are sanitsed with an approved water free hand cleanser, the bag is then deposited in a dedicated bin when back at base for collection & incineration by a licensed contractor.
A futher washing of hands is carried out with an approved liquid soap.
In the event of a large number of birds being struck, approved coveralls & foot wear are to be worn also the area & boots may have to be disifected.
Your Company has draw up their own proceedures based on their assement of the risk of you coming into cantact with Birdstrike remains.
For those of you who here in the UK who send remains for Identification to Birdstrike Avoidance team at CSL York,they advised us on the 6/04/06 that they are not able to receive remains until futher notice, but can, & are able to Identify reamains from good quality digital photos.
Please find the attched link:which was issued to the public from Defra,on how to deal with birds in the domestic enviroment. http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2006/060406c.htm
Cheers Ranger 1 :ok: