PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop Purchase Advice

FIMbar the Furious
8th Apr 2006, 08:54
Fellow Ppruners, yet again I have come to this forum for good advice. I am about to purchase my first laptop from a uk based supplier and would like to here your coments or reviews about your experience.

I will be starting a new job soon which will mean a lot of work away from home. What I would like the laptop to be able to do is the following

Be suitable for for a skype webcam connection so I can see my family.

be ablle to cope with DVD play back to watch movies with some sort of TV out so as I can attach it to a TV when in a hotel.

Be able to cope with Live feed TV. I subscribe to a website that gives live scottish football if you are outside the UK.

Play the odd game IE FIFA type football, Rugby, Civ etc

I also need it to run an office suite but would expect that even the cheapest model would cope with MS or Abillity office.

I am looking at the sub £700 models from companies such as Dell, Acer, Hp etc. Hard disk size is not too important as I would keep my office files off the PC but I would think that memory as usual would be important so I have been thinking about something with 1024m. At the lower end of the market I guess i wont be getting the fastest processor.

The big question is am I asking too much from a budget machine.

cheers

FTF

ZK-Pilot
8th Apr 2006, 09:11
Howdy, as a Computer tech and repair shop, my advice would be to look at either a toshiba or an Asus brand. I have setup and worked on many different models and they seem to be a cut above the rest.
Cheers.:ok:

Farmer 1
8th Apr 2006, 09:12
My advice - avoid Toshiba, unless you can manage without any manufacturer support. In my experience, no internet support, and unable to call 0870 numbers from abroad.

ZK-Pilot
8th Apr 2006, 09:17
They normally go for years with minimal hardware issues. I saw an article recently 'promising to improve service' Who knows. I have an Asus at the moment, one of the decisions to buy was the two year international warranty.

spannersatcx
8th Apr 2006, 10:54
Just bought an ACER good spec and good price can't fault it.

At work we have had several, Toshiba (worst) and Compaq (better), prefer my ACER though.

5711N0205W
8th Apr 2006, 11:17
Currently prooning on an HP Compaq laptop (nc6120), have used various models of theirs over the years as well as Dell and Toshiba. Personally on experience I would go Tosh or HP, don't know Acer (did they used to be Texas Instruments at one point?).

Do not make the mistake of buying a comedy brand from PC world or somewhere as a friend did.... piece of junk. He's got rid of it now and bought a Sony Vaio, expensive but nice.

IronWalt
8th Apr 2006, 11:18
Apple Macintosh. There are no other choices IMHO. :)

femaleWannabe
8th Apr 2006, 11:35
I'm a software developer so don't know a great deal about hardware but may as well throw in my opinion! I've had a few MESH PC's... www.meshcomputers.co.uk (http://www.meshcomputers.co.uk) They let you "build your own" so you can spend more on whats important and less on what you don't need. They also have a customisation option on each standard model so you can add bits.

I've always bought towards the top end of price range as I need a lot of power for the type of work I do. However, I'd say a budget to middle machine will very easily do what you need it to do. All the cheaper models will easily handle office, DVDs and TV out (as long as you get a TV out connection!). With regard to gaming, this is where the faster processors and higher quality graphics cards come in. With a cheaper machine, the gaming performance will not be fantastic, but it will be ok.

Hope that's of some help :)

FIMbar the Furious
8th Apr 2006, 11:40
Thanks for the replys guys. I have looked at the mags and Acer are certainly high on the best buy lists.

I would also consider Dell as a friend just got an amazing deal but when I go on their website the price manages to increase between the initial page and the configure page. I have looked to see any default upgrades but just cant figure it out.

I would love to go for Sony but price is a major consideration. £700 is the upper limit and the Sony spec is too low for me in that range.

I have also toyed with a Mac but just dont have the time to play with a new OS and all the possible probs linking files to the home PC.

With my wish list of what I want the machine to do do you think Iit will be possible to achieve on my budget

FIMbar the Furious
8th Apr 2006, 11:41
FW

must have posted at the same time

off to look at mesh

will report back guys

boguing
9th Apr 2006, 00:02
Another vote for Acer here. Have tried their after sales, new screen, no problem. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

In fact so's you know, this is being typed on my first Acer (with the replaced screen) and it's about 5 years old.

I build my normal pcs myself, so enjoy a hassle free laptop!

ZFT
9th Apr 2006, 02:17
And yet another vote for ACER – Current laptop TravelMate 660. Now almost 3 years old. It gets bounced around Asia weekly and has survived well.

After sales service good also. Worn out keyboard (characters rubbed off) replaced in BKK for less than £10 while I waited.

bjkeates
9th Apr 2006, 11:08
I'm voting for Asus. My laptop is an Asus A6712U/LH - Sempron 3000+, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, 15.4" widescreen, DVD-Rw, currently £549. Been absolutely top notch so far, no problems at all and doesn't overheat to stupidly high temperatures like my girlfriend's Toshiba with Pentium 4 (90C at times) - my Sempron sits stably at about 48. If you're going to want to watch DVDs, you can't beat a widescreen. Generally I'd recommend Asus though - it just has a feeling of quality to it.

AnEviltwinEr
9th Apr 2006, 23:10
An IBM, or Lenovo as it is called now. GOD i hate that name.
-Anyway, these machines are the best. BEST! shure, the design is a little black, but they are sturdy.

Lenovo is the way to go if you want a laptop that doesnt break the day after the warranty has gone to hell.

Conan the Librarian
9th Apr 2006, 23:17
Another vote for Acer, though oddly, I have just flogged mine tonight. (Another lustful creation, this time by Messrs. Nikon, has taken my eye.)

Conan

Saintsman
10th Apr 2006, 08:45
If you fancy a Compaq or HP try e-bay. HP off load their discontinued models at auction prices. You can get a high spec machine at least £200 cheaper. You need to look for their shop.

I know it wont be the latest model but I've purchased from the high street before and found the latest model at the same price the very next week.

Joe le Taxi
11th Apr 2006, 17:38
I think the price jump of the Dell when you go to configure your choice is because it puts the default dell support package up to the 3 year option, whereas it starts off as a one year package.

I find their products quite good and reliable, but their customer support a bit lacking. I am told they do crew discounts, but that maybe just for BA.

Gonzo
11th Apr 2006, 18:34
Conan, let me guess; D200.....

joe2812
11th Apr 2006, 18:36
I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 which is an awesome laptop - except for the recently discovered design fault causing it to overheat and melt.

I didn't realise all these problems i'd been having were due to a fault until the Gods of Proon pointed it out!

I was on to a techie last night for a while and I have a new Dell Inspiron 9400, guarenteed to at least meet and in some ways exceed my current set up. The customer service has been very very good (once you find a way to it via their awful website), very quick, very knowledgable.

I haven't had experience with any other companies but I would recommend Dell until I find someone better.

The Dell XPS M170 laptop looks brilliant FWIW.

Other than that, possibly a Sony Vaio (sp?) one?

AnEviltwinEr
11th Apr 2006, 22:12
DELL SUCKS!!
Big time!

Vote for

IBM!
http://cityofpg.com/images/USA%20FLAG.jpg
:ok::ok:

AnEviltwinEr
11th Apr 2006, 22:14
and here's why:

http://www.ihatedell.net/

Conan the Librarian
11th Apr 2006, 23:43
Shouldn't that be a flag from the People's Republic of China?

Conan

AnEviltwinEr
12th Apr 2006, 01:12
You mean like this?

Dell
http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/marxists/subject/china/flag.jpg

IBM

That's what you ment? :p

seacue
12th Apr 2006, 04:44
IBM? USA?
IBM sold their PC line to Lenovo, the Chinese outfit which had already been manufacturing them. A large fraction of laptops are made in China so this sale doesn't change things much.

Final 3 Greens
12th Apr 2006, 08:19
I'm voting for Asus.

Me too, I've had one since July last year and am delighted with it.

Great build quality and very good vfm.

SyllogismCheck
12th Apr 2006, 08:55
Have a look at Acer. I had a play with one recently and was highly impressed. Simply put, you get much more bang for your buck than with the big name brands, with little or no compromise in terms of quality.

Conan the Librarian
12th Apr 2006, 11:29
So as you can see Evil, your argument has a bit of a chink in the armour... :}

Conan

PS Saw further evidence of your deep love for Dell on another thread. Dell make quite good machines across a range from beginners to experts and the customer service, on the whole, isn't that bad either. There are a LOT worse. (Have you by any chance, had a bad time with Dell?)

frostbite
12th Apr 2006, 11:43
Used to be that all IBM hardware was manufactured by Tatung, who I haven't heard of for some time.

They were nice people to deal with.

FIMbar the Furious
12th Apr 2006, 13:06
Thanks for the replies. Have been away for a few days but in that time have made the purchase.

I have gone for an ACER Aspire 3023WLMI and upgraded the memory. Seems to do every thing I want of it and all in budget to. I was Surprised to see it had ATII graphics instead of the shared MB ram.

Now if only I could gt my WiFi connection sorted out. Its no joke, I can get everything ok in unsecured mode but the moment I put it into WPA I cant seem to get the laptop and router to agree on security settings.

Will give it a couple of days, be prepared for a Help I cant get my laptop connected to my WLan thread

Cheers

FTF

spannersatcx
12th Apr 2006, 15:12
Fimbar I had exactly the same problem, with my Acer and a netgear wireless router.

The best way I found in the end was to physically connect the laptop to the router with a cat5 cable. Put the security keys in, configure the adapter, then shutdown disconnect and then start up in wireless mode.

AnEviltwinEr
12th Apr 2006, 15:43
So as you can see Evil, your argument has a bit of a chink in the armour... :}

Conan

PS Saw further evidence of your deep love for Dell on another thread. Dell make quite good machines across a range from beginners to experts and the customer service, on the whole, isn't that bad either. There are a LOT worse. (Have you by any chance, had a bad time with Dell?)

I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD LOVE TO DELL!

Ibm hasn't sold all of it's product lines to lenovo, they're still making servers. If they had sold the whole company to lenovo, i think the rulers there would be burned to death by IBM lovers.

A slightly update:

DELL
AND
NEW LENOVO LAPTOPS:
http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/marxists/subject/china/flag.jpg

IBM SERVERS AND OLD LAPTOPS:

Satisfied? :rolleyes:

For futher info, see the forums at http://www.ihatedell.net/

Conan the Librarian
12th Apr 2006, 18:57
Hook, line and..... :} :} :}

Conan

YYZ
12th Apr 2006, 19:38
I went through this problem a few weeks back.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214362

I am now waiting for the delivery of my new Dell, it had better be good!!:rolleyes:

YYZ

Jet A1
13th Apr 2006, 12:39
I went for it and bought a Dell XPS last year -- very very happy with it, had Sony and Toshiba in the past and by far this laptop is the best.

Not cheap -- but future-proof to a point and a top top spec.....

Paris Dakar
14th Apr 2006, 22:35
Yet another vote for 'Acer'. My folks bought one a few months ago and the build quality is excellent.

20driver
15th Apr 2006, 03:12
Seriously, get a macpro. Best part is the Apple store. No more calls to Bangalore and you can go there and they can't fob you off by blaming someone else. Given you can run XP on it best of both worlds. Just looking for an excuse to upgrade my powerbook.
I've done Toshiba (2x), Dell and IBM. This is the best of the lot.

VH-GRUMPY
15th Apr 2006, 11:21
These arguments are a bit like should I buy the Honda Euro (which I did), the Mazda 6 or th BMW 325. When I was really young - is the Mini better than the VW bug. Who cares. They all have their good points and there deficiencies.
I have had HP laptops; Dell and many non-descript products. In this house we run a 3 computer network through a wireless LAN with quality parts but all home built. They all work incredibly well.
They are just computers - and laptops will last about 2 years before the keyboard collapses; the hard drive fails.
Expect to be in constant turmiol.
:{

rufus.t.firefly
15th Apr 2006, 13:05
I have a Toshiba L20 laptop , build quality and operation excellent , if you only want to operate off the battery supplied ...forget it, you'll be lucky to get 60 mins tops .......:{ :{ :{ the only gripe I have with it. Excellent onboard memory and graphics though !!!

Golden Ticket
16th Apr 2006, 16:02
I've just bought a Toshiba L20 too, very happy with it. It came with 256mb ram which made it a bit steady. Within 24 hours I'd upgraded to 512mb and it now runs like a dream, (£23 for ram recorded delivery).

Gonzo
16th Apr 2006, 20:23
Within 24 hours I'd upgraded to 512mb

Did that affect the warranty?

Helen49
17th Apr 2006, 07:48
MESH after sales service is non-existent.......steer clear IMHO.
H49