PDA

View Full Version : iTunes is stuffed!

Jerricho
8th Apr 2006, 01:21
Hi all,

For some strange reason, iTunes won't run anymore on my laptop. It begins, then comes up with the good old "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close..........".

I've uninstalled it and re-installed it several times. I've tried it with my iPod plugged in and unplugged.

Got me scratching my head.

And if it' screwed forever, anyone got any suggestions (aside from Nero and Win Media) for a worthy substitute?

Thanks.

AppleMacster
8th Apr 2006, 07:36
Jerricho,

The Apple Discussion Forum has this thread at the moment:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=431523&tstart=0

There are several solutions which might sort out your problem.

AppleMacster

Jerricho
8th Apr 2006, 14:04
Thank you Macster :ok: That worked a treat! (Quicktime was screwed up!)

timmcat
8th Apr 2006, 19:53
Had the exact same problem here a week or two ago. Finally found the Quickcrap cure somewhere on the web and it worked for me too.

Really don't understand why Apple makes the software quite so invasive. Never was a fan of quicktime.

WeatherJinx
8th Apr 2006, 21:39
Timmcat
Don't be so quick to rush to judgement on this - even though you're absolutely right, Quicktime never did run well on Windows. However, if you were to take a little time and do a little reading (this issue goes back years), you'd soon realise it was a lot more to do with someone other than Apple (http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/03/01/did_ms_break_quicktime/) breaking it, if you know what I mean.. :rolleyes:

daedalus
10th Apr 2006, 10:47
My G4 cube has recently started playing up with the mouse (standard mouse attached by wire). The mouse moves the arrow on screen, but when I click nothing at all happens. The mouse is a Fujitsu-Siemens, it always worked with my Mac with no problems and it still works on other computers with no problem.
It is plugged into the USB port on the keyboard, either left or right hand side - same problem, click doesnt work.
:confused: Any Mac maestros have any ideas?

AppleMacster
10th Apr 2006, 14:24
Daedalus,
Try all the usual things:
1. Update to latest sofware (10.4.6)
2. Repair Permissions with Disk Utility
You could consider downloading usboverdrive (http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Information.html) which supports just about any USB mouse.
There were some issues with USB mice in version 10.4.2 (I think), but unless you have changed any system settings, I'm not sure why your mouse has stopped working.
Good luck.
AppleMacster

joe2812
10th Apr 2006, 23:16
My iTunes went up the duff and so I switched to Musicmatch Jukebox and never looked back.

I can now only just about update my iPod now and again before it buggers up. :mad:

Luke SkyToddler
17th Apr 2006, 11:08
Two words - Anapod Explorer :ok:

Itunes is the most irritating piece of software in the history of the world.

nike
20th Apr 2006, 11:22
Steady on Luke, itunes does the job for me.

RickVisitor
22nd Apr 2006, 13:42
iTunes seemed to have adverse affects on my computer, including causing it to freeze on a regular basis whilst also placing high demands on the CPU usage.

I bought an iPod Shuffle device which stopped working after about 3 weeks for absolutely no apparant reason. I spoke to the 'Apple' services department and was told its a common fault and some customers have returned 'iPod Shuffle' for repair upto 5 or 6 times. It is apparently related to the the device not having a reset feature, which renders it unusable if a fault occurs.
The said item, was promptly returned to 'Tesco' and i'm now surviving without a portable music device.