PDA

View Full Version : Waypoint conundrum in Zurich FIR

cieloitaliano
7th Apr 2006, 22:36
Listening into Zurich ATC (upper airways) on the 'ATC Live Feeds' site I noticed that during quiet periods aircraft were routed direct to a point that sounds like 'spetza.'
I cannot locate this waypoint/VOR/NDB anywhere. Can any sharp-eared/eyed listener enlighten me.

TIA.:ok:

CamelhAir
12th Apr 2006, 10:34
Closed I can think of is SPEZI, which is about 30NM west of Pisa. I don't remember though if I've heard a Swiss controller give a clearence to a point that far inside Italian airspace.

cieloitaliano
13th Apr 2006, 12:22
Closed I can think of is SPEZI, which is about 30NM west of Pisa. I don't remember though if I've heard a Swiss controller give a clearence to a point that far inside Italian airspace.

Thanks for that. SPEZI near Pisa does seem a long-shot doesn't it.I have noticed that they seem to be northbound A/C i.e: crossing over to Rhine control. Just to make matters interesting where the :mad: is 'German Corner'??????????:confused:

EatMyShorts!
13th Apr 2006, 12:28
Sounds like "SPESSART", that is the NDB PSA which is the beginning of a STAR into EDDF.

cieloitaliano
13th Apr 2006, 17:12
Sounds like "SPESSART", that is the NDB PSA which is the beginning of a STAR into EDDF.

Mille grazie. Spessart certainly fits the criteria: A quite period northbound direct into Rhine controlled airspace for a EDDF westerly approach .:ok: Found it on Jeppesen low level. ;)

arem
14th Apr 2006, 08:53
German Corner - KRH 270 radial 15 DME - it keeps one clear of French airspace whilst cutting the corner usually to COA northbound but I've also used it southbound on occasions

cieloitaliano
14th Apr 2006, 10:18
German Corner - KRH 270 radial 15 DME - it keeps one clear of French airspace whilst cutting the corner usually to COA northbound but I've also used it southbound on occasions

Cheers arem. :) I have now located the fix on the Jeppy high altitude and notice that it's not a printed one. I wonder how these 'fix's' come into being in the first place?:confused: By the way don't ever board a flight with me doing the nav....I don't know any of the continental short cuts!:bored: