PDA

View Full Version : Taking Money Into USA

Chitty's Leader
7th Apr 2006, 18:57
Hi all.
Hope you all might be able to help me here - funny sort of question which didn't really fit into any other forum.
Would anybody know if there is a limit on taking money into the US, in terms of carrying Travellers Cheques and cash?
I am certain I was told there isn't, but anything above a certain limit might raise eyebrows and I might have to account for the money - for the life of me, I cannot remember the amount I was told.
Would it be likely to be the same this side of the Atlantic when going through security?
Would be nice to know though if anybody can answer this please.
Many thanks!

The_Banking_Scot
7th Apr 2006, 20:32
Hi,

I think anything above $10,000 US has to be reported on your customs form.

Regards

TBS

20driver
8th Apr 2006, 02:22
Anything over $10,000 cash has to be reported. I honestly have no clue what happens if you report it, never had to.

Bealzebub
8th Apr 2006, 03:00
You can take in any amount of monetary instrument, however as already mentioned any amounts in excess of $10,000 must be declared. I did this once when I hadn't paid the crew allowances on board. They give you another form to fill in that basically asks for the reason. It is all part of the anti money laundering effort. For the movement of large sums ( in excess of $10,000 ), there is a requirement to declare the source of the funds. Bank transfers are usually easier as the originating bank normally provides the details.

Keygrip
8th Apr 2006, 03:24
You could always pick somebody at random and send them an e-mail explaining that you need to move over $10,000 into the United States - and if they agree to ...... you know the rest.

(That didn't help really - did it?)

ExSimGuy
13th Apr 2006, 22:34
Many moons ago - when I was young and foolish, I hads ome "black economy" money to take to an associate in Reno, Neveda. Arriving at LAX I declared the cash (they can confiscate it if you don't!) and the guy there asked why I had so much cash.

Not being good at "porkies", I just showed him my onward ticket to Reno - he asked how long I was planning to be there and I said "however long it takes"

He "welcomed me to USA" andwaved me on - the good old days :)

However, if the cash is for your own use, remember that the USA is now a "plastic economy",and that using cash is often regarded as suspicious. Large bills these days (over $20!) are regarded as dubious due to forgery problems, so the best way to go is with a credit card, VISA or MasterCard ATM card, and a fairly small amout of notes in small dnomintions.