PDA

View Full Version : Second Qantas 747 Being Sent Offshore.

planemad2
7th Apr 2006, 07:15
Second Qantas 747 being sent offshore

07apr06

Another Qantas heavy maintenance check on a 747 airliner is being sent offshore – this time to Hong Kong.

Qantas angered its workers last month with a decision to service one of its planes in Singapore while it winds down its Sydney maintenance base and moves it to Avalon in Victoria.

Only last week Qantas would not confirm if it would send more work offshore.

But today, the airline said a heavy maintenance check would be performed offshore next month by Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Company Limited (HAECO).

"We remain committed to our Australian heavy maintenance operations," Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon said.

"The simple fact is, however, that we are in a transition period, moving our B747 maintenance from Sydney to Avalon."

A Qantas spokesman later said that in future all maintenance would be done in Avalon.

He refused to comment about whether the latest move would affect maintenance jobs in Australia.

Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU) national secretary Doug Cameron said passenger safety would be put at risk by sending maintenance work offshore.

"The maintenance in Australia is the best maintenance in the world," Mr Cameron said.

"We believe their (offshore) maintenance is not the same quality."

Mr Cameron said Qantas was yet again trying to cut costs.

Australian Licenced Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA) president Michael O'Rance said Qantas had shown no sympathy for its workers.

"It's un-Australian," Mr O'Rance said.

"They're continually sending them (planes) overseas. We're extremely disappointed Qantas are showing no sympathy to workers." He said he did not believe Avalon would cope with the airline's maintenance demands due to inexperienced staff who had not worked on the B747-400s that were traditionally maintained in Sydney.

"I don't believe Avalon has the capacity to do all the work. They've got the space, but they haven't got the expertise," he said.

BHMvictim
7th Apr 2006, 07:39
"I don't believe Avalon has the capacity to do all the work. They've got the space, but they haven't got the expertise," he said.

Don't forget they also have enough bits of crappy old scaffolding and form ply for 2 makeshift dockings!

Apophis
7th Apr 2006, 08:22
most of that got bent or broken in a wind storm they will probably still try to use it.

webber1
7th Apr 2006, 11:40
Its good to see that Orance has full faith in his members in avalon.

Bumpfoh
7th Apr 2006, 12:40
My thoughts exactly W1.

While I fully understand M.o'R's support of the Sydney HM members it is in pretty poor taste to basically slag off the fellow AVV members and publically state that they are inferior.:hmm:

Guess he won't be getting too many AVV votes come election time and nor should he!:E

Sunfish
7th Apr 2006, 21:30
Hint: As long as the ALAEA remain merely "disappointed", they will remain ineffective. What are you going to do about it?

Another hint: Perhaps you guys could post a website explaining which aircraft has been maintained by who, and what the last check was. The general public might then decide to avoid certain aircraft. Unless you guys attack Qantas's market image, you will get absolutely nowhere

HotDog
8th Apr 2006, 03:33
Yes Sunfish, a brilliant idea NOT! Keep on inciting the LAMEs to attack Qantas' business so the public is forced to fly on foreign carriers, none of which have been maintained in Australia. Before long, Qantas is out of business.:rolleyes:

rmcdonal
8th Apr 2006, 03:41
Before long, Qantas is out of business Government would never let that happen to Qantas.

planemad2
8th Apr 2006, 04:31
Government would never let that happen to Qantas.

That is what most people thought with Ansett............ :eek:

rmcdonal
8th Apr 2006, 10:59
I did think someone might say that Planemad2.
I have no-comment, It's true a lot of people did think the government would help. Qantas is such a big name when you think of Australia. If where to fall over it would very bad for a LOT of people, Government included.

webber1
8th Apr 2006, 11:07
Refer Thread titled "Qantas and political perks" for some more reasons for the government to not want qantas to go under.

planemad2
8th Apr 2006, 21:05
I did think someone might say that Planemad2.
I have no-comment, It's true a lot of people did think the government would help. Qantas is such a big name when you think of Australia. If where to fall over it would very bad for a LOT of people, Government included.

I am certainly NOT saying that I think the Government would let Qantas fail, just that we live in strange times, and I thought like most people that they would never let Ansett fail, but they did. :uhoh:

Sunfish
8th Apr 2006, 23:14
Hot Dog, you obviously believe everyone in Qantas should work for peanuts just so Qantas "can stay in business'. I suggest that one of the reasons fro working at all is to make a living wage. If Qantas won't pay a living wage, then they deserve to go under, and it will be no loss to the travelling australian public if they do