PDA

View Full Version : Has Linton moved?

Danny_Boy
7th Apr 2006, 06:52
For those of you with intranet access, a page from the Defence News site: http://defenceintranet.diiweb.r.mil.uk/DefenceIntranet/News/DefenceNews/RAF/UksNewestAirportPaysTributeToItsRafLegacy.htm

"The newly-opened Robin Hood International Airport paid tribute to its illustrious past in a ceremony attended by serving personnel from nearby RAF Linton-on-Ouse and those who served there when it was RAF Finningley."

VigilantPilot
7th Apr 2006, 08:17
Suppose it depends how you define nearby...

FrogPrince
7th Apr 2006, 09:47
We're all 'Up North' for some people, so the two locations 'must' be near to one another.

PPRuNeUser0211
8th Apr 2006, 14:21
a sign of the massive size of our airforce these days when the nearest base to a major new airport in the north of the country is the best part of an hours drive away

PlasticCabDriver
8th Apr 2006, 18:23
Cranwell always seemed to have moved every time I tried to find it from the air. Or was that just a lack of capacity?

Monty77
8th Apr 2006, 18:47
Fear not, plasticcabdriver.

If the mob insist on planting many similar airfields on flat, similar terrain, then they can expect unexpected arrivals. Whilst I confess to have 'done' the wrong runway at the right airfield, I can quite see how folk can make a bijou faux pas (I claim a French two for the price of one here). When I was a maggot, my boss had the dubious distinction of having landed at Coningsby, thinking it was Cranwell. How we all laughed when a 'more than you can muster' of Buccs had a word with Waddo whilst a large assembled crowd waited at Cranwell with bated breath.

Happy days when you could pretty much land anywhere without notice, claim the radio was knackered and the 'motor was sounding a bit dicey' AND get a shag and free beer off the barmaid for being a super-hero who clearly felt your contribution to the national (and I specifically ban Scottish people here)gene pool was of national importance.

You can check out the gurn fest over on 'Terms and Endearment' about how life has got so shabby. They know nothing. I propose a campaign that involves alternating pointing at the tv and your spouse and shouting.
That 'll show 'em.

cazatou
8th Apr 2006, 19:09
Just check the prices for "Robin Hood" to Rodez on the Net for the next few weeks. Last time I looked single fares started at about £5 plus taxes.

SBfour
9th Apr 2006, 22:55
One early morning after 30 minutes of free nav SCT with only a clock, map and standby compass, I was approaching from the Dales feeling particularly confident. However, Ripon looked allot like Harogate and Leeming looked allot like Dishforth. After calling initials to Linton Tower, the runway ahead of me was decidedly not where it was supposed to be. Fortunately, the flying program had not yet started at Topcliffe and the Linton controller was none the wiser to the newly qualified exchange officer's mistake!