PDA

View Full Version : National flag on the tail fin position

greenband747
6th Apr 2006, 16:32
As I noticed that every commercial airliners (US Airforce One as well), the national flag on the tail fin position are opposite from left/right ( right side is wrong).

Any ICAO or other aviation rules to regular this practice?

Thanks,

Greenband747

Hand Solo
6th Apr 2006, 17:34
Perhaps every commercial airliner in the USA. Not in the rest of the world.

greenband747
6th Apr 2006, 18:41
Thanks for your reply,

Not only US airliners..

1. Different view on L/R side:
QF, Malaysia Airlines, CA, PR AF ( color on different side) and more...
2. Same view on L/R:
LH, BA,CP and othe national carriers with the same image on each side.

http://www.usflags.com/browsestore.asp?CategoryID=6

Greenband747

TR4A
6th Apr 2006, 18:46
As I noticed that every commercial airliners (US Airforce One as well), the national flag on the tail fin position are opposite from left/right ( right side is wrong).
With the forward motion of the aircraft the flag is "flying". That is why it looks backward on the right side of the aircraft.

greenband747
6th Apr 2006, 18:54
Thanks,

Is it a common practice or by any rules ?

Tex37
6th Apr 2006, 19:28
If you stand and look at a flag flying on a pole it is one way round, go to the other side of the pole and it is reversed!

It's all about about being aestheticlly(?) pleasing and so long as nothing offesnive or inaccurate is written they can put more or less anything on the side of a plane in most parts of the world!

Thinking about it, why don't they then write the letters inversed and in reverse on one side of the a/c?

Tex

JackOffallTrades
6th Apr 2006, 23:14
I think it's nice to see a national flag on an aeroplane. It shows a bit of pride. It also helps me work out where some of these airlines come from (the more obscure ones) because I'm useless with foreign registrations!

A matter of opinion I know, but I can't stand some of the flying billboard/advertising colour schemes. I also can't stand web addresses in huge writing on a plane... Very cheap!