PDA

View Full Version : Malvern Tornados

mlc
6th Apr 2006, 15:03
There's been an awful lot of Torndo activity over the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire today. Some nice low flying made all the better because you kept putting the golfers off their stroke.

If it's anybody on here, please can you paveway the house next door!

HGFC1
6th Apr 2006, 18:41
How about a very short diversion to EGBO to give us all a treat with a quick fly-past? PLEASE! Call on 123.0, someone is bound to be listening (well they are supposed to be) and we should have about 30 seconds in which to grab our cameras :ok:

mlc
6th Apr 2006, 19:09
Well it's 8.10pm and they're stil at it. Hope they've filled in their overtime sheets!

adr
6th Apr 2006, 20:12
:{

I'm often in Malvern on Thursdays, and often take time for some fresh air in the hills. But today, no, I had to be somewhere else on a course. I will commence sulking..... now.

adr

frodo_monkey
6th Apr 2006, 20:49
Don't worry, Fast Mover is on all next week as well... :D

doubledolphins
6th Apr 2006, 22:07
Bet, EGBS gets a few through the circuit. Usually does. When I was a lad Malvern used to be regularly attacked by canberras. Much more civilised. Some times they dropped silver coated ping pong balls too.

jimgriff
7th Apr 2006, 13:12
If it is not breaking any rules, is there any chance of saying where and when you'll be a day in advance?

BluntM8
7th Apr 2006, 16:18
Yeah, and could you tell us the freqs you'll be on, the weaponeering you'll be employing and the best bit to point a Stinger at too...

Oh, and I've always wondered about the ranges for 'our' version of the AMRAAM, would you mind posting them on here too...:}

Or does OPSEC cover that too? :}

PhilM
7th Apr 2006, 19:50
Must say a quick thankyou to the crews of a pair of GR4s that came and gave us a low flying demo as I was stood on the top of Pen Y Fan Tuesday afternoon, made my day :ok:

Ewan Whosearmy
7th Apr 2006, 19:54
Yeah, and could you tell us the freqs you'll be on, the weaponeering you'll be employing and the best bit to point a Stinger at too...
Oh, and I've always wondered about the ranges for 'our' version of the AMRAAM, would you mind posting them on here too...:}
Or does OPSEC cover that too? :}

Don't be such an arse. All you had to say was, 'Sorry, Old Chap. No can do'.

jimgriff
7th Apr 2006, 20:04
Thanks Ewan, I wanted to say something similar but didn't want to waste the bandwidth.

Any way jet jocks....how about I tell you where I will be and you route past me for the pics?

RiskyRossco
8th Apr 2006, 00:31
'What time will you be getting back home?'
I'm sorry, that's classified.
-Airplane/Flying High

Pontius Navigator
8th Apr 2006, 06:39
Shame really, think back to the days of the MLR or Main Low Level Route. Get your coffee flask, sandwiches etc and set out your deck chair on the beach in south Wales or the Prestatyn coast or any other identifiable chock point and wait. Miss one and another along in 10 minutes.

Here is one to make you weep and laugh.

Loch Rannoch, no wind, beautiful quiet Scottish summer evening, lake surface disturbed by the gentle ripple of trout rising. All's well with the world.

Tent pitched, chairs out in the lowering light, glass of beer in hand (real men didn't drink wine in those days) when whine - roar - whoosh and a Vulcan slides majestically 250 kts 500 ft overhead. Nice one.

Ten minutes later . . .

Ten minutes later . . .

3 hours later . . .

'Twas a Thursday evening and 1 Group was out to play with 25 or so Vulcans at 10 minute intervals. And the target? None other than the Sqn Ldr Trainer (a nav rad) from Cottesmore Ops. He had failed to spot the link between his camp site and the Low Level Route. He had also forgotten that the monthly exercise was due.:}

False Capture
8th Apr 2006, 07:38
... the weaponeering you'll be employing and the best bit to point a Stinger at too...

Doesn't sound like the OED is part of your inventory.;)

BEagle
8th Apr 2006, 08:04
Sounds like a bit of an ar$e trucky co-piglet comment, that.

Real pilots start their weaponeering with a bit of air-to-sand at Pembrey!

Wrathmonk
8th Apr 2006, 08:32
jimgriff

Sadly I believe the "this is where I am taking photos - please fly by" has also been used by the anti low-flying lobby (particularly in certain areas of LFA7!) to entice crews in to a certain area and giving them so called evidence that the LFS is used considerably more than the MOD declare (ie "x" aircraft flew down this valley in "y" hours which when expanded across the country means "z" hours of low flying happen each day etc etc). Easy to refute I grant you but that would mean having an efficient and competent MOD PR (or CC or whatever it is called these days) system!

BluntM8
8th Apr 2006, 11:59
Don't be such an arse. All you had to say was, 'Sorry, Old Chap. No can do'.

Sorry, I meant it tounge in cheek but I didn't quite get it across that way. No offence meant.

jimgriff
8th Apr 2006, 16:37
Thanks Wrath.. IMHO most of the anti lowfly lobby are plonkers who have moved to the area from cities and expected a quiet country life. They also complain about cocks crowing and sunday church bells. Mad as hatters !!!

Im in regular touch with the RAF CRO (Wales) as we are putting together an RAF road show in August in the town and the reds will be displayingetc.

Low flying....cant get enough!!:}