PDA

View Full Version : Execs lack 'vision for the future'

Next Generation
6th Apr 2006, 14:43
GD and BG, take note.
Execs lack 'vision for the future'
Friday Apr 7 00:02 AEST
Australian executives are lacking clear strategies and a vision for the future, with government organisations containing the worst of the bunch, a new study has found.
The Australian Business Leadership survey of 2,376 senior executives found many leaders were only focused on creating short-term strategies.
According to the survey, more future-focused leaders are in building construction, banking and finance, and manufacturing, while the least-innovative are in government-associated organisations and some larger corporations.
While many leaders recognised the importance of innovation, most were not putting time and resources into it, The Australian Institute of Management chief executive Susan Heron said.
"The structure of the corporate environment is that they have to deliver results here and now, which comes at the expense of the vision of the future," she said.
Despite the lack of vision, the survey, the third in a five year series, showed that businesses were more competitive and executives were more educated.
Professor James Sarros, from the Department of Management at Monash University, said Australia had some way to go in embracing a successful enterprise culture.
"This has some serious implications, because it is vision and strategy that determines the long-term investment and resources that are needed to sustain competitiveness."
The executives surveyed were from different parts of Australia, and were required to participate in both written tests and interviews.
The survey was conducted by the Australian Institute of Management and the Department of Management at Monash University.

Lord Snot
6th Apr 2006, 14:56
Why should GD take note?? He'll be gone long before then. He couldn't give a flying fcuk.

Read your own clipping, it says "Lo-oooooooooooonnnng Ter-rrrrrrrrrmmmm....."

Hello, McFly.....??

regitaekilthgiwt
6th Apr 2006, 15:47
I am disgusted, not exactly by the post, but by the way some pilots are treating and winding up each other. As a young pilot in the game, I AM DISGUSTED BY YOU. And yes I know I had the caps lock on gurus. Anyways, hopefully those who can do something for us comer-up-en-ses.. we are really counting on u guys to stand up and stay up

p.s. seriously, blanks lines? are u guys serious? talk about can't see the forest for the ******* massive tree's! Get it together IDIOTS we are the last line...

Wizofoz
6th Apr 2006, 17:31
And the prize for "Post with the least relevence to the thread topic" goes too....

regitaekilthgiwt

:confused: :hmm: :confused: :hmm:

an what the hell does that name mean????

Sunfish
6th Apr 2006, 22:12
Actually I knowe Sue Heron (wonder if she still has the main coon cat?) and we are in furious agreement about this and certain other matters. I've posted before about Board and executive time horizons. Boards should be looking five to ten years out, CEO's maybe slightly shorter and so on down the management and employee tree.

If this does not happen, you get awful results, awful as in;

(1) CEO thinking about maximising next years bonus and deferring difficult and expensive decisions. The result? After he (she) leaves, the skeletons literally jump out of the closet.

(2) Engineers, Pilots and Cabin crew worrying about their long term future instead of concentrating on the matter immediately to hand. The result? Well the very least is a spilled cup of coffee.

There is another dimension to this that has not been brought out by AIM, Sue or anyone else. One of the theories of management that has been around for a long time is about dealing with uncertainty. This basically states that its managements function to deal with uncertainty - and the higher (lower) you go the more uncertainty you have to deal with in order to provide a stable, certain, risk free environment for your employees.

Now Qantas management fails this test too. Mr. D has a contract that guarantees his financial security for life, come what may. He is entirely insulated from financial risk. At the same time, he has deliberately destabilised all his employees expectations regarding their own financial security let alone their employment. In other words the levels of risk within the airline have been reversed. Without wanting to point out the bleeding obvious and get banned, it is not a good idea for an engineer or pilot (or CC) to be worrying about their finances or job prospects while they are supposed to be doing their jobs.

apache
6th Apr 2006, 22:25
I've never spilt a cup of coffee whilst flying yet!

Fred Gassit
7th Apr 2006, 01:23
I have! It went all over the FMS and killed it too. Flying cross-country with conventional aids sucks.

Frank Burden
7th Apr 2006, 01:59
I remember a direction from years ago.

"No corrosive fizzy drinks on the flight deck!':eek:

Modern managers are more interested in the short-term bottom line rather than the long term health of their organisation. Even those in the public sector work under contracts. As we all know, there are no longer any jobs for life. At the lower levels, the pay is fortnightly or monthly and so should be your horizon. [Mumbling something about wasting far too much money on educating people when all you want them to do is do a simple job like be an air traffic controller or a pilot.]

VR-HFX
7th Apr 2006, 02:43
Golden Arches Management 101

Sad to say, the Mac model is winning. Management at major organisations is increasingly intent on turning into a fast food business where employees have no security and are given no responsibility other than the burger they are tossing.

As pets grow to look and act like their owners, so too do organisations grow over time to look like their leaders.

Management then has the gall to wonder why staff don't give a toss anymore (excuse the pun)

HR departments are then tasked only with three F's...

Find'em
F..k'em
Forget'em

Sad but true and those that don't realise it yet are only deluding themselves.

If you eat the first spoonful of ****e that is shoved at you, expect to eat it for the rest of your days.

podbreak
7th Apr 2006, 05:22
Might aswell pay everyone nothing in his last week, think about the money that'll save the company!!! $$$